Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cheaper jewish communities
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:52 pm
I live in NYC and I'm happy with my community. We have a mixed one with mostly modern orthodox. The only problem is that we still live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I have two toddlers. One day, we'd like to move to a bigger apartment, but prices here are so expensive...especially in a jewish community. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is the only one working as a teacher. His job is a one year contract and each year they have to renew it so it's not that stable. Anyway, I'm hoping he'll still have this job, but incase something goes wrong, we have to think about a place to move and find jobs...so I want to think ahead.

So are there any other cheaper jewish communities in the US? I mean cheaper living like cheaper housing. I know in NY there's the most variety, but I'm willing to move out. Are there any other jewish communities that have a mixed community (sepharadim as well)? and jewish schools?

smss

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:

So are there any other cheaper jewish communities in the US? I mean cheaper living like cheaper housing.

LOL...OP, I think EVERY SINGLE other jewish community has cheaper housing than NYC ;-)

many, many OOT communities are like what you describe you're looking for.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:55 pm
Housing in Clevland is dirt cheap

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:57 pm
Cincinnati

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:58 pm
I've been a real estate broker for 13 years. There are affordable communities that are very nice for growing families. You should start by identifying what's most important to you such as schools or shul (or both) and from there you look a availability that is within your range of "walking distance." Lots of people who live in Long Island still bus their children to Brooklyn for school. Get in touch with me if you have more questions. I'm happy to email you some great prospects to give you an idea of what is actually being offered in today's market. You won't be disappointed!

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:00 pm
I meant to say that lots of families living in queens and Long Island bus their children

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:05 pm
the problem with cheaper communities is that the salaries there are usually lower there too.

factor that in when looking.

some ideas:

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Detroit

Chicago (not sure how cheap since its a large city)

Baltimore

Atlanta

Dallas

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:15 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
the problem with cheaper communities is that the salaries there are usually lower there too.

factor that in when looking.

some ideas:

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Detroit

Chicago (not sure how cheap since its a large city)

Baltimore

Atlanta

Dallas
[quote]

Actually, You're right. I just assumed she wanted to stay in the NYC area. By the way, my husband is a realtor in NJ and there are great prices in very good areas there too.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:39 pm
Of course where the COL is cheaper, the salaries are as well.
But places like Cincinnati have tuition vouchers available, which makes a huge difference in how far a salary stretches. Between houses easily bought for under 300K, nominal tuition, and lower lifestyle standards, it's much easier to live without a 6 figure income.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:51 pm
I follow NY real estate avidly (not sure why because I B"H already own my home and I don't work in the real estate field at all, it's just that I see so many people making money from real estate so I'm kind of jealous ...)

Almost all neighborhoods in NY are "on fire" which means that prices are going way up. My theory is the gentrification - many people come to NY after college or graduate school for their first job and a lot of their identity is tied to where they live. For example a guy will use his luxury building as a status symbol to attract girls. Real estate developers have been capitalizing on this and making lots of luxury buildings in Manhattan. Some Manhattan apartments can charge $4000 for a 1 bedroom (that's more than my mortgage!).

The people who couldn't afford Manhattan anymore moved to Brooklyn because it's still very close to Manhattan via public transportation. So then developers started building luxury buildings in Brooklyn, because people wanted these ... Now Williamsburg became hip and expensive (at least the northern part) and so did Park Slope in Brooklyn. A townhouse in Park Slope can cost 1-2 million dollars. Over the last few years it's pushed out father. Crown Heights is quickly gentrifying, as is Bushwick from what I read.

Next comes Queens (good old, dull Queens). Ridgewood is just across the border from Bushwick (or some other Brooklyn neighborhood) so it's becoming "gentrified" which means more hips stores and organic food, let's say. Downtown Flushing where Asian people live is getting a $3 billion development called Flushing Commons which will have nice apartments and retail stores/offices.

Harlem has already been gentrified for around 10 years. First came West Harlem, up the map from Columbia University. Then came East Harlem. The only borough left that hasn't been gentrified yet is the Bronx (I'm not counting Staten Island because that's not easily accessible to Manhattan by train). The Bronx has a number of train lines that go straight into Manhattan (ask anyone in Riverdale, that's why the neighborhood is so popular with young professionals). I've never been to the Pelham Parkway neighborhood but it seems to look like many other neighborhoods and the real estate prices are low. I actually just ran into a friend of mine who lives there and I told her that I predict that her neighborhood will take off soon. The question is - are you prepared to be the pioneer? And do you have the stomach to wait it out in a "dead" neighborhood until other people join you ... or can you bring along another 5 families and cause the neighborhood to take off?

Anon because I have never been to the Bronx and I don't know if my suggestions is way off the mark.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
I follow NY real estate avidly (not sure why because I B"H already own my home and I don't work in the real estate field at all, it's just that I see so many people making money from real estate so I'm kind of jealous ...)

Almost all neighborhoods in NY are "on fire" which means that prices are going way up. My theory is the gentrification - many people come to NY after college or graduate school for their first job and a lot of their identity is tied to where they live. For example a guy will use his luxury building as a status symbol to attract girls. Real estate developers have been capitalizing on this and making lots of luxury buildings in Manhattan. Some Manhattan apartments can charge $4000 for a 1 bedroom (that's more than my mortgage!).

The people who couldn't afford Manhattan anymore moved to Brooklyn because it's still very close to Manhattan via public transportation. So then developers started building luxury buildings in Brooklyn, because people wanted these ... Now Williamsburg became hip and expensive (at least the northern part) and so did Park Slope in Brooklyn. A townhouse in Park Slope can cost 1-2 million dollars. Over the last few years it's pushed out father. Crown Heights is quickly gentrifying, as is Bushwick from what I read.

Next comes Queens (good old, dull Queens). Ridgewood is just across the border from Bushwick (or some other Brooklyn neighborhood) so it's becoming "gentrified" which means more hips stores and organic food, let's say. Downtown Flushing where Asian people live is getting a $3 billion development called Flushing Commons which will have nice apartments and retail stores/offices.

Harlem has already been gentrified for around 10 years. First came West Harlem, up the map from Columbia University. Then came East Harlem. The only borough left that hasn't been gentrified yet is the Bronx (I'm not counting Staten Island because that's not easily accessible to Manhattan by train). The Bronx has a number of train lines that go straight into Manhattan (ask anyone in Riverdale, that's why the neighborhood is so popular with young professionals). I've never been to the Pelham Parkway neighborhood but it seems to look like many other neighborhoods and the real estate prices are low. I actually just ran into a friend of mine who lives there and I told her that I predict that her neighborhood will take off soon. The question is - are you prepared to be the pioneer? And do you have the stomach to wait it out in a "dead" neighborhood until other people join you ... or can you bring along another 5 families and cause the neighborhood to take off?

Anon because I have never been to the Bronx and I don't know if my suggestions is way off the mark.

Great summery! Just a few really important things that you totally left out, and that's because you wouldn't know unless you lived in the areas or worked in them.

Flushing Queens is HUGE. It's one of the largest neighborhoods in all of queens. With that said, there is one part that looks exactly like Chinatown NYC and another part loaded with Glat Kosher restaurants, butchers, wig shops, clothing stores, kosher candy shops, and a large Jewish community. Flushing is amazing and Queens is FAR from dull! You're even just a few mins from Great Neck and the 5 towns! I love that idea.

Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Kew Garden Hills, Floral Park, and so many more...

On Long Island you have many options too.

BTW- if you're looking for a Co-op (you can even rent these out) then you're going to get a GREAT deal now. They are out there. Studios start at 85,000 in Forest Hills. One bedrooms start at 115,000, 2 bedrooms are just under 200,000. These buildings have full amenities as well.

You have to know the market but what more important is to speak to someone who has worked and/or lived in these areas. Otherwise you'll miss out. There are many young families purchasing for the first time in NY and they are NOT wealthy. There are options for everyone. Some places are just way too expensive but I'm giving you the affordable rundown and brief summery.

Check out Teaneck NJ as well.

bubbebia

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:46 pm
Anything in the NY metro area is going to be out of sight. JewishMommyNYC is right. You need to decide what you want out of a community--what's important and what's not. Are you willing to live in a place that is potentially farther from family in order to have cheaper housing? Are you willing to forgo the conveniences of living in the NY metro area for cheaper housing, safety for your kids, etc.? Are you willing to forgo the "atmosphere" of The City for fresh air and a slower pace of life? Virtually every small Jewish community in this country can offer you a wonderful life, but not everyone is cut out for it. It's not always an easy life.

centurion

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
...The only borough left that hasn't been gentrified yet is the Bronx...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_Bronx

centurion

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:39 pm
NYC's rent and real estate is high but tuition and kosher food are at competitive prices. Another thing to consider is cost of commute.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:31 pm
When you say your husband is a teacher, is that in a drum school, other private school or public school?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:06 am
tryinghard wrote:
When you say your husband is a teacher, is that in a drum school, other private school or public school?

He teaches at a charter school...so it's not public, more semi-private. He's happy with his job, but it's not so stable because they took him in as a teacher without a teacher's certificate. Anyway, hopefully nothing will change with his job, but I want to think of other places to live if something changes.

For those people that mentioned flushing queens, I actually live in flushing. I like the neighborhood because there's a mixed crowd and a few jewish schools in the area and lots of shuls. However, right now we live in a one bedroom apartment and we'd have to move to a bigger place one day (at least 3 bedrooms) and it's expensive over here (for rent). I'd like my kids to have their own room (or at least share a room in the beginning). It is important that wherever we move, that the jewish community wouldn't be too far away. I rather have a shul in walking distance and a jewish school in walking distance. But I know I can't get everything that I want, so if the school is a short drive, then that's ok... I'd just need to practice my driving because I haven't drove in years (my husband takes the car to work).

I also guess that I'm just tired of living in this fast-pace city. I rather have my kids live somewhere out of the city, but then it would have to be in a jewish community.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:39 am
If you're willing to move really OOT, South Bend IN is cheap. Most people are eligible for State funded school vouchers that cover all of Day School tuition. A small house goes for about $100K, a large house about $250-350k. The community is diverse, although there isn't so many of each "sect". There is a shul, and a kiruv style shul/ Torah center. Day school, yeshiva, bais yaakov high school.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:28 am
If you want to stay in NY state, look into Rochester. We're a 6 hr. drive from NYC and we have 4 shuls (Chabad, Sephardi, MO, more yeshivish), all within walking distance of each other. Housing is pretty cheap--a small/medium sized 3 bedroom house will run you around 150-175K with a pretty decent yard, larger homes generally run about 200-250K. You have your choice of 2 day schools--smaller more MO or larger, more yeshivish, a yeshiva and a girls' high school. We have a mikvah in walking distance of most housing, but while you can take a bus to shop (I did it for 2 years), you probably will need to drive relatively short distances. Because our frum community is relatively small, by NYC standards, there is not much of a market for kosher restaurants and take out. People here tend do do all their own cooking and baking, but there are things available in the supermarkets, like challahs and some packaged cookies/cakes. We are a very close-knit community. If you are interested, PM me.

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:09 pm
Cleveland has a sephardic minyan and a MO day school.

simhat_nisuyyin

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 2:32 pm
Pittsburgh is a wonderful, warm community, with a number of shuls all in the same neighbourhood (everything is walking distance), and very cheap, big houses. But I don't think there's anything Sefaradi there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics