Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When did you let your kids play in the backyard alone?

When did you let your kids play in the backyard alone?
4 & under  
 29%  [ 14 ]
 25%  [ 12 ]
 22%  [ 11 ]
 8%  [ 4 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
 4%  [ 2 ]
 6%  [ 3 ]
11+  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 48

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 4:58 pm
At what age did you let your child play outside, in a gated backyard without supervision? I just started letting my DC play outside in the backyard alone, but my husband is still a little iffy about it. We live in a quiet, nice neighborhood. The backyard is fenced as well. (I'm only talking about day time hours.)

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:20 pm
I still don't let them play in the back yard alone ... ya never know what will go up in smoke Whistling

momX4

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:58 pm
never alone. I will allow my kids to play outside alone if I can watch them, even if I sit inside. I allow them to play outside with neighbors, while I'm making dinner, from when they are allowed to cross.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:04 pm
I think in an enclosed backyard it's fine- esp if you can look out and see them.

flmommy

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:06 pm
I think it's fine as long as the backyard is "child proof" as in no rusty nails, unsecured swimming pool etc. enjoy it!

sky

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:13 pm
My backyard is 100% closed in a 6 ft fence with child safety gate locks.
I let 4 and older outside by themselves (with older siblings). I'm always nearby though.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:34 pm
Same as sky. Totally fenced in yard, and I lock it, you can't get in from the outside, only from the house. We did that specifically so I would be able to let them play in the back a little more freely. (I'm still around of course, but can see them from the kitchen, which is great.)

wife2

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:12 pm
A lot also depends on location. Are you on a frum block surrounded by frum neighbors? Do you live in a safe or bad area? Are there people hanging around who you wouldn't trust? This is a major difference. People in Israel and in America, and in different cities within America all would do different ages due to this. Some places are safer than others. In our fenced in backyard, we had non-Jews break in and steal bikes - so it depends where you live.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:38 pm
What am I supposed to be worried about?

- child running into street
- bad guy kidnaping children
- dangerous play
- accident happening that you didn't see in time to prevent
- other?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:49 pm
OP here. We live OOT so no frum neighbors, but the block, and neighborhood in general is quiet, the people are nice and friendly. We left our snow blower outside for a couple days and it didn't get stolen or anything. It's a very quiet street as well. Like one car goes down the street in an hours time. (Most drive between 15 - 20 mph)

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 5:24 am
Wow. People answered 9 and up?
I'm grateful to live in a b'h safe area, in Israel. Well, as safe as things go.
It all depends on the set up of your backyard (can you see the entire yard? Or does it wrap around the house?)
But in general, I'd say around 5 IF I could see the entire backyard when I glance outside, and if it's enclosed.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 6:03 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Wow. People answered 9 and up?
I'm grateful to live in a b'h safe area, in Israel. Well, as safe as things go.
It all depends on the set up of your backyard (can you see the entire yard? Or does it wrap around the house?)
But in general, I'd say around 5 IF I could see the entire backyard when I glance outside, and if it's enclosed.
Table, Im also grateful that I live in Israel. I think I let my daughter, who was 2 and a half play right outside our front garden that was sort of enclosed. Fine, I live in a yishuv, but there are arab workers walking around every day.

I know that the entire world is different than it used to be. I know when I was growing up, I believe by the time I was 5 my parents let my sister and I go into the backyard by ourselves. It had a gate around it and we could scream "ema" and our mother would be able to hear us right away. But now, in today's crazy world, I dont think I would let my child go out by herself in a big suburbia or a city until a bit older. I would go out with them.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 9:59 am
I'm always a bit confused on these terms lol.

If it's your house garden, private, I would let a responsible child at 3 or something.

If it your building courtyard, hence people coming and going... older. But depending on neighbours, neighbourhood, if total strangers can enter or you need the key... I could let at 6 or so? especially if there are other kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics