Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Soak the beans or not?

Eemaof3

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:32 pm
It has been ages since I made cholent (my family does not really love it) but we have guests this Shabbat for whom I would like to make it. I cannot recall if I need to soak the beans overnight first or just put them in the crockpot with everything else.
Also, anyone ever put sweet potatoes in cholent? We are trying to steer away from white potatoes if possible.
Thanks!

Queen18

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:16 pm
It's a goo idea to pre-cook or soak beans. I put sweat potato in all the time and its great

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:20 pm
cooking cholent over night will cook the beans just fine - I put lots of barley and while I don't use sweet potatoe in cholent - I've tasted mighty fine cholents that have included sweet potatoe ... and other interesting veggies

m in Israel

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:24 pm
I never soak the beans before hand and it is not a problem. Some people find that pre-soaking beans in general makes them more digestible (ie less stomach issues), but I never really found a difference when it comes to chulent.

Sweet potatoes will change the flavor slightly, but should be fine.

kb

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:42 pm
You can also just boil up the beans, change the water, and let it soak for an hour - supposedly has the same effect as soaking overnight.

November

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:17 pm
Soaking the beans is a good way to go when you are not using canned beans. You can also boil them for an hour. We put white and sweet potatos in our cholent. Many times the sweet potato will fall apart and become mush, unlike the white potatos. We still like them in there, along with carrots and celery. Good luck!

mother4

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 1:59 am
1. Red Mixed/ Kidney beans are supposed to be the most gassy causing ones, so I only use white beans.
2. I always soak the beans a night before. Sometimes even another day, and change the water in between. It gets pretty clouded/dirty. I also try to get the peels out (they float on top after soaking for while)
3, I do add a diced sweet potato and it really comes out good. Spices used: Lotta paprika, black & white pepper, salt, cumin, garlic. (sometimes chicken bbq spice)

I have many guest and they rave about the cholent. One even confessed he never has any bad after effects after eating this cholent. (and does have after eating from some others...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus