Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Need Help Writing Resume for Dh-Kollel to Rebbe Position?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:20 am
Exactly as the title states.

Dh was in kollel for a decade and has no experience in anything. Oh, he tutored one bochur for several months four years ago, but he has no real life experience, no job experience, nothing.

The job placement person I spoke to said the first step is to write up a resume, but with what??

I need help brainstorming. Maybe you ladies can help me?

I would post under my username, but I'm too embarrassed embarrassed .

Tova

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:23 am
Has he given any shiurim in the community?

On what basis is he qualified to be a Rebbe (not challenging here, but getting you to think of resume-relevant activities.)

I agree that writing a klei kodesh resume can be challenging (my husband has one), you will also want a cover letter and maybe start jotting some ideas for that to get the ideas running?

Tova

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:25 am
On the VERY off chance that your husband is in Ner Yisroel in Baltimore, have him speak to my husband (you can PM me) who may be able to help him. He has already made one shidduch between a kollel guy and Rebbe position in the school my BIL runs.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:40 am
focus on skills and education.
google writing a first resume.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:47 am
Thank you for your ideas Tova. No, we are not in Baltimore but it was nice of you.

He has given shiurim when his rav was absent, but nothing that has any bearing on him being more qualified for a job. He is embarrassed to even write a resume, so I'm doing it, but I'm not making much headway here. There's really not much to go on. His education consists of elementary and high school, then a rebbe-training program. Experience he has one thing, the tutoring.

Should I include Languages? I mean, doesn't every rebbi speak English, Lashon Kodesh, and Yiddish?

I think I need something that will make him stand out somehow, but what?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:49 am
Tova wrote:
Has he given any shiurim in the community?

On what basis is he qualified to be a Rebbe (not challenging here, but getting you to think of resume-relevant activities.)

I agree that writing a klei kodesh resume can be challenging (my husband has one), you will also want a cover letter and maybe start jotting some ideas for that to get the ideas running?

Truth is, I have no idea what makes him more qualified than the next guy to be a Rebbe. He's extremely smart, but I've never seen him relate to kids outside of ours. He has very high expectations of himself and of our children, but how does that translate into being a good Rebbe?

5*Mom

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
Exactly as the title states.

Dh was in kollel for a decade and has no experience in anything. Oh, he tutored one bochur for several months four years ago, but he has no real life experience, no job experience, nothing.

The job placement person I spoke to said the first step is to write up a resume, but with what??

I need help brainstorming. Maybe you ladies can help me?

I would post under my username, but I'm too embarrassed embarrassed .

Start by writing stream-of-consciousness style about the qualities and skills your husband has that would make him a wonderful rebbe. Think about it from the perspective of the students and what they need in a rebbe, the students' parents and what they would be looking for in a rebbe. A rebbe position is unique in that it is crucial to find the right rebbe for the students, not just the right job for the rebbe. So think about why your husband would be the right rebbe for the students and write that. B'hatzlacha.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:52 am
5*Mom wrote:
Start by writing stream-of-consciousness style about the qualities and skills your husband has that would make him a wonderful rebbe. Think about it from the perspective of the students and what they need in a rebbe, the students' parents and what they would be looking for in a rebbe. A rebbe position is unique in that it is crucial to find the right rebbe for the students, not just the right job for the rebbe. So think about why your husband would be the right rebbe for the students and write that. B'hatzlacha.

Do you think it needs a cover letter?

In which category of the resume should all the aforementioned qualities go?

Thank you for your help.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:59 am
amother wrote:
Do you think it needs a cover letter?

In which category of the resume should all the aforementioned qualities go?

Thank you for your help.

In the body of the resume include his schooling/learning history and add a category called Skills.

I am looking for a gentle way to say this, so please forgive me if I miss the mark. If your husband is looking for a job and that is the only reason why he is considering becoming a rebbe, and other than that he has no specific skills or understanding of children or appreciation for children, then please please suggest that he consider a different field. Children need a lot more in a rebbe than a man who knows a lot of Torah who is looking for a job. As a parent, I expect a lot more from a rebbe and I'm sure you do as well.

I wish your husband much hatzlacha in his transition from kollel to working and I hope he finds exactly the right job for him.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 4:20 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for your ideas Tova. No, we are not in Baltimore but it was nice of you.

He has given shiurim when his rav was absent, but nothing that has any bearing on him being more qualified for a job. He is embarrassed to even write a resume, so I'm doing it, but I'm not making much headway here. There's really not much to go on. His education consists of elementary and high school, then a rebbe-training program. Experience he has one thing, the tutoring.

Should I include Languages? I mean, doesn't every rebbi speak English, Lashon Kodesh, and Yiddish?

I think I need something that will make him stand out somehow, but what?

Why would this have no bearing on him being qualified for a job? Of course it does -- it is experience in a form of teaching. When someone is entering the job market for the first time, there is obviously no real experience -- but every little thing, like tutoring, giving a Daf Yomi shiur, even camp counselor, make a difference. Obviously you don't want a long list of silly experiences -- but if there are only a few, definitely include them -- I would put it under a topic like "related experience".

Languages should be included, the teacher training course should definitely be included, at the top of the list under the "education" category. But I am confused -- your husband only finished elementary and high school? Didn't he didn't learn in Bais Medrash or Kollel? Your title says he is going from Kollel to a job -- so it doesn't sound like his education stopped after high school. If that is the case, that should also be included under education -- certainly if he has any sort of credentials from that learning (like smicha or a BTL), but even if not it should be listed.

Success10

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 4:24 am
Can he dedicate the next couple of months to building his resume with real life experience, even if that means working for free?

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 4:40 am
When writing a resume, there is a way to spin every little sneeze into a medal-worthy accomplishment. Have you read people's resumes online? You'll see what I mean. If someone filed papers, suddenly they, "Singlhandedly restructered all paper data systems into a more user-friendly and accessable program, thereby saving the company both time and money."

In any event, below are excerpts from a relative's resume. He was in Kollel and then went into Kiruv and teaching. You'll see what I mean. Please note that of course, none of these are untrue. But there are different ways to word everything. 'Mentor' sounds good. 'Founder and director of weekly study group' sounds better then 'gave a shabbos shiur'. 'One on one instructor...spiritual advisor' sounds better then 'learned b'chavrusa'. Good luck.

Instructor, Mentor, and Program Coordinator
Talmudic Law, Torah, Foundations of Judaism
Published works on the weekly Torah portion
Founder and Director of Weekly Shabbos Study Group
Explanations of Mitzvot and Practical Application
Instructor and Advisor
Explanations of Mitzvot, Talmudic Law, Foundations of Judaism
One on one instructor, as well as spiritual advisor for
the following institutions

momaleh

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 5:18 am
Totally agree with Mrs. K.

I have written professional resumes for others. Brainstorm a list of his qualities, "ambitious, dedicated," etc. Use them liberally throughout.

Write a strong purpose statement -"To acquire a career in chinuch where I can utilize my qualities of strong limud Torah, dedication and understanding of children to pass down our mesorah and turn out menchlich students."

Then make every possible achievement sound like graduating Harvard, just like Mrs. K. said. Summer camp counselor? Tutor? note taker? shiur giver? anything. if you need specific help, pm me.

Shuly

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
His education consists of elementary and high school, then a rebbe-training program. Experience he has one thing, the tutoring.

Emphasize the training program. Make it sound like an advanced college degree. If it was a good one, like Rabbi Zakon's, it is viewed very highly by potential schools.

I think you should include languages. Not every rebbe speaks Yiddish.

rosehill

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 8:29 am
5*Mom wrote:
In the body of the resume include his schooling/learning history and add a category called Skills.

I am looking for a gentle way to say this, so please forgive me if I miss the mark. If your husband is looking for a job and that is the only reason why he is considering becoming a rebbe, and other than that he has no specific skills or understanding of children or appreciation for children, then please please suggest that he consider a different field. Children need a lot more in a rebbe than a man who knows a lot of Torah who is looking for a job. As a parent, I expect a lot more from a rebbe and I'm sure you do as well.

I wish your husband much hatzlacha in his transition from kollel to working and I hope he finds exactly the right job for him.

With the same apologies, perhaps rather than create the illusion of greater skills and experience, perhaps DH should acquire greater skills and experience? Maybe by receiving additional training, or taking a paid/unpaid position as an assistant Rebbe?

My friend's DH entered the workforce after 10 years in kollel with 7 or 8 kids. My friend was very disappointed that he was offered an entry level salary, not the wages of others his age who had been working the whole time. Not sure what your expectations are, but just sharing her story so you're prepared.

Hatzlacha!!!

little neshamala

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:41 am
Does he really want to be a Rebi, or is that just the default route?
If he really has a passion for chinuch, then I would emphasize that on the resume.
If not, I would really reconsider job options.
Im kicking myself that I dont remember who it was, but I remember it was one of our Gedolim that said, along these lines "one should ONLY become a Rebi, if he REALLY wants to do that, and only that, no matter what. Otherwise stay far away."

would he take a different kind of job, if he was offered one? or does he really feel that his kochos are best used in chinuch? again, if its the latter, then I would somehow include that on the resume. and if not, reconsider chinuch.

Ashrei

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:47 pm
I agree with success, maybe he can 'intern' somewhere for a few months to a year - he could make great connections with people who can write recommendation letters for him (so long as he shows how adaptable and what a quick learner he is).

maybe he can start as a substitute rebbe.... (is that a thing?)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 1:03 pm
Ashrei wrote:
...maybe he can start as a substitute rebbe.... (is that a thing?)

I was going to suggest the same thing. Start as a substitute teacher. DH can see if he enjoys teaching, and believe me, if the students and principal like what they see, he will be offered a job in no time at all. There are always teachers leaving mid year for one reason or another. Hatzlocha!

mirror

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
I was going to suggest the same thing. Start as a substitute teacher. DH can see if he enjoys teaching, and believe me, if the students and principal like what they see, he will be offered a job in no time at all. There are always teachers leaving mid year for one reason or another. Hatzlocha!

As opposed to an empty resume. If you were a principal, who would you hire?

oohlala

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 2:10 pm
Don't overlook the cover letter. It can be a great tool for highlighting personality traits, skills and dispositions that might not fit in a resume. The cover letter should be unique for each job application. Your husband should research the school he is applying to. For example, if the school emphasizes differentiation and individualization, really highlight his ability to do this in the letter. If the school is into technology, emphasize that in the letter as well (and don't forget to add his technology abilities in the "skills" section. Many schools these days would love to hear if you know how to use a smartboard, document camera, etc. If he is not savvy in these, it could be worth it to take a course.)

I might add (gently) that although you are helping him write the thing, it would be wise for him to take ownership of this task in other ways, such as doing the legwork, research, finding the internship/assistant/subbing job (which I think is a great idea, even just shadowing an experienced rebbe for two weeks would be amazing). This is really not your job, I'm sure you have tons of other things on your plate and although you want/should to be supportive, this is something he needs to take responsibility for. Also, echoing what the others have been saying, your dh should be sure he want to do this and not take this as a default. My husband learned in kollel for a long time and he is an actuary now, even tho he has smicha and originally thought he would be a rebbe/rabbi, he soon realized it really didn't fit his personality.
(His situation was diff. though in that he had a college degree).

Other things your dh can do to distinguish himself: go to torah umesorah courses they advertise for particular grade level rebbes and for teaching of specific skills, such as haschalos gemarah, etc. Also, look into kriyah courses if he wants to work with young kids.

I hope this is helpful. I would urge your dh tho to approach someone professional in preparing his resume...I have been told that rebbe jobs are extremely competitive and hard to come by.

good luck! feel free to pm me if you want.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club