Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
If You Are Pro Vaccinations...
  1  2  3  16  17  18  Next

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:00 pm
There are so many threads for people who are anti-vaccines and/or delayed vaxxers. I thought that I'd make a thread for those pro-vaxxers to discuss a few issues. This thread is for people who follow the vaccination schedule & in support of it. (This really does not belong solely in children's health because many vaccines are for adults as well).

1. How do you feel about new vaccines? Are you excited when they come out? Relieved? Curious? Cautious?

2. How do you feel about the idea of a "full flu shot" that would require 2 shots (a shot and a booster) and would protect against all strains of the flu. This shot is very realistic for the next 10 years.

3. What shots would you like to see on the market/expect to see on the market in the next 10 years.

4. Feel free to bring up any other information....

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:07 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There are so many threads for people who are anti-vaccines and/or delayed vaxxers. I thought that I'd make a thread for those pro-vaxxers to discuss a few issues. This thread is for people who follow the vaccination schedule & in support of it. (This really does not belong solely in children's health because many vaccines are for adults as well).

1. How do you feel about new vaccines? Are you excited when they come out? Relieved? Curious? Cautious?

2. How do you feel about the idea of a "full flu shot" that would require 2 shots (a shot and a booster) and would protect against all strains of the flu. This shot is very realistic for the next 10 years.

3. What shots would you like to see on the market/expect to see on the market in the next 10 years.

4. Feel free to bring up any other information....

1. Depends for what. I take the flu shot, for example, but not the one for HPV.

2. I would love that. Never heard of it before

3. If they could come up with one for the common cold lol... Also for food poisoning.

4. I think that vaccines have risks - just like antibiotics come with risks. But I'd rather have them than not have them!!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:10 pm
Just saying hi....I'm a pro-vaccine Mom. My great-grandparents emigrated to the US after they lost 4 children to small-pox, because shots were making an appearance here, and they wanted their two surviving children, plus the two born after their tragedy, to live.

One of my siblings is an MD, and she says my grandfather's stories inspired her to enter the medical profession. When I was a little girl, he told me that shots were Hashem's gift to this generation, so that we would never know his mother's pain.

My mother was actually into delaying vaccines a bit, though we definitely got all our shots in before starting school. She was a SAHM so did not feel that giving vaccines during the first year was absolutely necessary.

Since I've always worked and had my kids in daycare, I've followed the recommended schedule of vaccinations. I also would not send my child to a daycare that accepted children who don't vaccinate.

I don't know if it's possible to develop a vaccine against all strains....

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:22 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/n......html

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:27 pm
I'm pro-vaccines when you're talking about something that's life-threatening. I would never double up on vaccines, though (for example, if my child was sick at one appointment and I never caught him up until the next one), and I'll sometimes space out the ones that I do give. That means that I might have to come back two weeks after a regular physical, but it's worth the inconvenience.

Do I belong here?

chaiz

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:29 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

I would find that fascinating, though would not necessarily run to get the first batch. I am though a bit skeptical that they will be able to do it.

chaiz

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:30 pm
ectomorph wrote:

4. I think that vaccines have risks - just like antibiotics come with risks. But I'd rather have them than not have them!!

Of course no one denies that. It is just that the risks are far smaller than the benefits.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:34 pm
chaiz wrote:
I would find that fascinating, though would not necessarily run to get the first batch. I am though a bit skeptical that they will be able to do it.

There is a whole new science about using shots as a way to treat the immune system to recognize certain threats so that the shots could be broader. That is their hope for the flu virus as well as for shots in the next 10-15 years that would help the immune system recognize tumors and not allow them to grow. There is a lot of reading and fascinating research on them. Of course I'm also skeptical, but Doctors believe some new vaccines are very likely for the next 10-15 years. Many of them are most important in developing countries such as a better, more effective TB vaccine for countries where that is still a threat.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:36 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I'm pro-vaccines when you're talking about something that's life-threatening. I would never double up on vaccines, though (for example, if my child was sick at one appointment and I never caught him up until the next one), and I'll sometimes space out the ones that I do give. That means that I might have to come back two weeks after a regular physical, but it's worth the inconvenience.

Do I belong here?

Yes.

chaiz

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:39 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is a whole new science about using shots as a way to treat the immune system to recognize certain threats so that the shots could be broader. That is their hope for the flu virus as well as for shots in the next 10-15 years that would help the immune system recognize tumors and not allow them to grow. There is a lot of reading and fascinating research on them. Of course I'm also skeptical, but Doctors believe some new vaccines are very likely for the next 10-15 years. Many of them are most important in developing countries such as a better, more effective TB vaccine for countries where that is still a threat.

Very fascinating. I wonder about the risks to it versus the benefits. It is something on my reading list.

Growing

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:44 pm
Thanks Scrabble

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:51 pm
Mono vaccine!!!!

dalia1

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 3:52 pm
Stomach flu vaccine. I know there is the rotovirus vaccine but I want one for the everyday stomach flu...last time that went around my house, I had tag-teaming vomiting in my house and I have PTSD from it! Not to mention, I was taken by ambulance it was so bad!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 3:57 pm
sequoia wrote:
Mono vaccine!!!!

As someone who has cmv for four of the last six years (little breaks of negative results, in between the positives) this sounds like a dream come true!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:04 pm
Shingles vaccine.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:28 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Shingles vaccine.

It exists....

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:50 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
It exists....

Yeah I keep seeing ads for it on pharmacies.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:15 pm
dalia1 wrote:
Stomach flu vaccine. I know there is the rotovirus vaccine but I want one for the everyday stomach flu...last time that went around my house, I had tag-teaming vomiting in my house and I have PTSD from it! Not to mention, I was taken by ambulance it was so bad!

they have been working on a norovirus vaccine for a long time. it cannot happen soon enough

ElTam

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:31 pm
Thanks for starting this. I am another pro-vaxing mom. We will delay on gardisil until shortly before marriage, but that's it.

Just read this piece, about the last case of polio in India in three years (child wasn't vaxxed). Few thought polio could be wiped out in India...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/22/.....hp_t3

The vaccine I would like to see is for RSV.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:45 pm
Another pro vaxxer - I am somewhat skeptical of any flu shot but my kids get them anyway and I even let my doctor bully me into getting one this year though usually I only get when pregnant. She was telling me all about heart failure and respiratory failure and I caved Smile then a week later my friend had the flu and went to the hospital on Shabbos vomiting blood so now I'm a half convert to the idea
Page 1 of 18   1  2  3  16  17  18  Next Recent Topics