Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO of info on Mills Basin/Marine Park/Queens
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:02 am
So it looks like we're going to have to move to the NYC area, and a few neighborhoods have been thrown around at us:

Queens (which I am familiar with somewhat, I have friends and family who live there)
Marine Park
Mills Basin

We are currently living OOT and have for the past 5 years. I am NOT happy about moving back to the NY area, but it's out of our hands. And unfortunately it needs to be IN the city, not in a suburb.

Can anyone tell me anything about Marine Park and Mills Basin? I don't really want to live in Brooklyn, but it seems like we might be able to rent a house in Mills Basin for cheaper than we would pay in either Marine Park or Queens.

We are a young family with one toddler. Modern Orthodox Machmir would be a good way to describe us. Watch TV, movies, I wear jean skirt and no socks, husband wears jeans and a black kipa sruga, etc. Not planning on sending our children to any sort of yeshiva or BY schools. A very superficial description but just to give some sort of idea Smile

Any and all information is welcome!! Shopping, types of people, parking situations, etc. EVERYTHING.

We will be there for at least the next 6 years so we really want to get it right.

Anon because everyone who reads this who knows me IRL will now know who I am Wink

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:27 am
Don't have much info for you, just to say that the correct name is Mill Basin (not Mills), in case you're Googling it for more details. I don't know much about it, but it's definitely the smallest and most OOT feeling of your 3 options. I would think that people there would be less judgmental than say Marine Park, which is becoming somewhat more Brooklyn-y by the year, though the block you live on there can make a big difference. Queens is sort of a big mix of everything.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:16 am
Thanks so much drima. I don't know a soul in Brooklyn or Mill Basin so I'm nervous to move there. But I know lots of people in Queens. Do you live in NY? Would you recommend somewhere where I know people or somewhere with a better living space?

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:18 pm
How about Staten Island? It's in NYC, much cheaper, much more OOT-ish, and much more of a MO presence than some of the other places you mentioned.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:20 pm
doctorima wrote:
How about Staten Island? It's in NYC, much cheaper, much more OOT-ish, and much more of a MO presence than some of the other places you mentioned.

Biggest issue (which is preventing us from moving to a bunch of other places too) is that my DH is starting a surgical residency and his commute to Brooklyn CANNOT be longer than 20-30 minutes. Is Staten Island within that time frame? Also, isn't it $15/day with the bridge?

I really appreciate all your help!!

kelsorino

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:22 pm
I lived in marine park for 2 years. If your from oot it will be a difficult transition (it was for me). I did not make a single friend as much as I tried, and the parking where I lived was insane. Farther into marine park the parking isn't as bad. Marine park is definetly getting more brooklyny as amother previously mentioned. If you know ppl in queens its prob a nicer option then brooklyn. Also if your not planning on sending your kids to a by\yeshiva they prob won't have friends. Its more openminded and accepting imo. I ended up leaving brooklyn. Good luck on your search!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:53 pm
kelsorino wrote:
I lived in marine park for 2 years. If your from oot it will be a difficult transition (it was for me). I did not make a single friend as much as I tried, and the parking where I lived was insane. Farther into marine park the parking isn't as bad. Marine park is definetly getting more brooklyny as amother previously mentioned. If you know ppl in queens its prob a nicer option then brooklyn. Also if your not planning on sending your kids to a by\yeshiva they prob won't have friends. Its more openminded and accepting imo. I ended up leaving brooklyn. Good luck on your search!

This is kinda what I would expect in any part of Brooklyn, which is why I don't want to move there Sad Are you saying that in Brooklyn they wouldn't have friends if I don't send to a BY, or in Queens? Is there any MO presence in Queens?

TIA!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:58 pm
You can move to Queens and send to YCQ. That's pretty MO.

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Biggest issue (which is preventing us from moving to a bunch of other places too) is that my DH is starting a surgical residency and his commute to Brooklyn CANNOT be longer than 20-30 minutes. Is Staten Island within that time frame? Also, isn't it $15/day with the bridge?

I really appreciate all your help!!

The Willowbrook neighborhood in Staten Island is about 20 minutes to Boro Park, 30 minutes to Flatbush under normal traffic conditions. I don't know where in Brooklyn DH is working, and the traffic in both directions can be quite bad until you learn the traffic patterns, and even then, there are no guarantees. But I think you'd be quite happy there and should definitely look into it further. EZ-Pass makes the bridge cheaper, I'm thinking around $10 but can't keep track, though if you live in Staten Island, there's a special EZ-Pass plan which is much less (maybe $5-6, but hopefully a SI local will clarify for sure).

self-actualization

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:59 pm
I don't think you can make it from Queens to Brooklyn in 30 minutes (consistently) unless you (a) take the Jackie Robinson when Prospect Park is open, and the hospital is nearby (Maimonides is not near there) or (b) consistently drive at odd hours when there is zero traffic (then it's doable in 30 minutes).

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:48 pm
I didn't think that SI was within do-able commuting distance. He will be doing his residency at Brookdale hospital in Brooklyn, the address is:

Brookdale Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11212

If that can help with the details of what's within normal commuting distance.

TIA everyone!

STovah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:01 pm
Mill Basin is probably your best bet if you want to keep commuting time down. I have heard nice things about the community there. Depending on where in Queens you would live, commute time would be 20-30 minutes with no traffic.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:41 pm
Oh gosh, I am getting sick just thinking about dealing with this. UGH.

Ok, 20-30 minutes is ok, he'll be there pretty early because of surgical hours (I wouldn't be surprised if most days he has to get there by 6am and won't be home until 8/9pm if he's lucky).

Google Maps says that the area we are looking at is 20ish minutes away.

I just feel like if we are going to be there 6 years and I'm going to be alone A LOT, then I need to be living somewhere I don't hate. And if my experience with Brooklyn is any indication, I would MUCH rather live in Queens. I would MUCH MUCH rather live OUTSIDE of the city, but I don't think there's ANYWHERE that can get him there in a decent amount of time.

For a normal job, anywhere up to an hour is ok; for this, not so much. Sad

STovah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:53 pm
Brookdale Hospital is pretty close to the Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn, so the commute really isn't that bad. If Queens is really where you'd be best off in terms of family, friends, community, then definitely just move there. You're not comparing living next door the hospital vs. a 20-30 minute commute, you're comparing a 15 minute trip vs 30 minutes. On most days, the Jackie moves just fine, so I think Queens is your answer.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 4:52 pm
Thank you SO MUCH STovah!! That info REALLY helps. I'm glad that Brookdale is close to the Jackie Robinson, that will make my husband feel a lot better. He's very nervous about the commuting time.

On a related note, has anyone use a realtor or broker to find an apt in Queens? I am having terrible luck finding stuff and I've already gotten some info from a few realtors. We have some pretty specific parameters in mind so I feel like they may be able to show me some things I'm having trouble finding on my own. Anyone have experience with this?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:38 pm
What area of Queens?
Not that I know real estate brokers, but I grew up in Queens and there's a big difference in the crowd between Kew Gardens/Richmond Hill, Kew Gardens Hills, Jamaica Estates, Forest Hills, etc… Queens is huge!

momaleh

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 5:46 am
There are nice MO communities in Hillcrest and Jamaica Estates, but that will add time on your commute. Your best bet is probably Forest HIlls, which is the closes to the highways and has a nice YI community, but it's also quite expensive as far as I know.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 5:58 am
There is an amother here from Mill Basin. I will direct her to this post.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 6:20 am
I am a realtor in Queens and I'd be very happy to help you. Please email me and I'll send you my number. J.evans143@gmail.com

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:50 am
I live in KGH. From what you describe, I really think you'll be happiest in Staten Island in terms of friendliness/OOT feeling/ variety of hashkafa and families your age/friends for you kids. Is it possible to come try out the drive?

If the choice is only Queens vs Bklyn, then I say definitely Queens. You'll probably be happy with YCQ, but there are certainly people like you (though not a majority) that live in KGH who send to BY/Bnos Malka/Tif Mo, so don't rule them out. Come see them and get a feel. Not sure how old your kids are but it may be hard to get them spots in school for September. Make sure you have spots in school before you commit to a place.
Are you looking to rent? A house or apt? Forest hills is very transient- young couples constantly moving and very difficult parking. Holliswood may be too expensive, (not sure if they have rentals) but I think you'd really like it- doesn't look/ feel like NYC. I looked on Google maps using an address of a friend in Holliswood. It can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes to Brookdale Hospital, depending on traffic. Your DH will probably be traveling before and after rush hour most of the time, so it really isn't bad. Check out the YI Holliswood website. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating