Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Woman faked quintuplet pregnancy for months
1  2  Next

blueberries

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 7:25 pm
A Canadian woman who looked very pregnant and said she was carrying quintuplets wasn't pregnant at all—and her boyfriend is devastated. Only when Barbara Bienvenue, 37, showed up to deliver her babies at a Quebec hospital last week did a nurse inform the man that there was no pregnancy.

"She let me choose the names," boyfriend Paul Servat, 35, told the Toronto Sun while sobbing. "I lost everything, it was my whole life." Now she's receiving psychiatric care and he's refusing to see her again, CTV reports.

And her family tells QMI it isn't a first for Bienvenue, with an unnamed relative saying she once said she had leukemia (she didn't), and an ex-boyfriend claiming she told him she had twins.

Bienvenue first told Servat in September that she was having twins, then triplets, quadruplets, and quintuplets. She even grew a big belly and had morning sickness.

But doctors say she was experiencing a "phantom pregnancy" or pseudocyesis—a rare disorder that gives a woman pregnancy symptoms for months or even years when there's no baby.

Now Servat plans to return or give away gifts they received thanks to a Facebook page about her pregnancy. "Not only has he lost someone he had fallen in love with, but also ... babies who had become his 'joie de vivre,'" read a post on the now-defunct page.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 7:46 pm
In the article I had read it sounded like she was even lactating.

It sounds like she is sick both physically and mentally.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:56 pm
I read about it as well, she def must be mentally unwell.
I feel really badly for the boy friend, but I wonder- like so many comments indicated- did the bf never go to a dr visit, never talk to the drs about a high risk pregnancy?!
Some ppl said she could've printed off sonogram pictures online, but still.... she must've worked really hard to convince the bf not to go along to any ''dr visits''

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:46 pm
I don't know about that. Not all partners, even if they are thrilled at the prospect of impending fatherhood, really care to accompany their pregnant partners to the estrogen-soaked atmosphere of an OB-GYN office. Although, yeah, with quints, you'd think he might have wanted to ask some questions.

This woman sounds as if she has a variety of Munchausen Syndrome. People with Munchausen tend to be both medically knowledgeable and enormously clever (they'd have to be), so they are often able to fool even medical personnel by doing things like spiking their urine with chemicals to mimic certain conditions, or even ingesting or injecting themselves with toxins to fake certain illnesses.

People with Munchausen crave love and attention. It often starts after a real illness, when they get lots of love and caring. They like the experience so much they proceed to fake illnesses in order to garner that kind of attention again and again.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:07 pm
she had real symptoms ... wouldn't you think you were pregnant if your belly grew & your breasts excreted milk ?!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:14 pm
Yeah.... but how did she know it was quintuplets without an ultrasound?!

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 4:47 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Been wondering the same thing.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 6:53 pm
How did she produce milk and her belly grow to look like that exactly? I don't get it. I also don't get how her dh didn't figure it out. He should've felt some movement with 4 babies in there. Strange.

mirror

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:45 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by mirror on Sun, Jan 17 2016, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:36 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I guess that's the part that needs psychoanalyzing ...

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:04 am
apparently she had the drs fooled as well...still not sure how if she refused doppler and US although some phantom pregnancies I heard can have a "heartbeat" too.

Ema29

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:18 am
who said she really went to any appointments?

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:40 am
flowerpower wrote:
How did she produce milk and her belly grow to look like that exactly? I don't get it. I also don't get how her dh didn't figure it out. He should've felt some movement with 4 babies in there. Strange.

The mind rules the body. Adoptive mothers have managed, with great effort and persistence, to start lactating, and phantom pregnancy is a well-known if uncommon disorder.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:37 am
chocolate chips wrote:
apparently she had the drs fooled as well...still not sure how if she refused doppler and US although some phantom pregnancies I heard can have a "heartbeat" too.

Huh?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:49 am
It's happened before, although not with someone claiming to be carrying quints (as far as I know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....nancy

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:15 am
zaq wrote:
The mind rules the body. Adoptive mothers have managed, with great effort and persistence, to start lactating, and phantom pregnancy is a well-known if uncommon disorder.

men can also lactate. Exclamation

There is someone on this board who breastfed her adopted baby. Its not that complicated - you take some drug and pump, pump, pump.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:52 am
You think they were surprised? Watch Russian Woman gives birth to 10 Babies. Sorry, I only have the link to Hebrew (unless you want it in Russian)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:18 am
Raisin wrote:
men can also lactate. Exclamation

There is someone on this board who breastfed her adopted baby. Its not that complicated - you take some drug and pump, pump, pump.

Wave That would be me. Very Happy

It's a bit more complicated than that, and it's intensely hard work. First you have to take 3 months of birth control pills back to back. Then you have to start taking massive doses of Domperidone, alone with Hyssop tea (as much as you can stand). Pump for at least a half an hour total, every 3 to 4 hours, around the clock. Pray that by the time the baby arrives, you'll have a decent supply in. Even with all of that work, I still had to supplement. I don't regret a minute of the work because every drop of milk is precious, and there's no replacing the time that DD and I spent together. It was pure magic.

The guy would have to be pretty oblivious not to notice if she was pumping regularly - although there are other medical conditions that can cause both men and women to lactate.

BTW, did anyone else catch that he'd just met her a month earlier, through some kind of online chat thing, before she announced her pregnancy? The day they met in person, they must have gone straight to bed. shock

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:46 pm
Quintuplets and no doc forced her to get heavy monitoring and checking and exams? lol

carpediem

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 2:28 pm
The mind definitely controls some body functions. I read an interesting article describing a research study which proved that women produce more milk when they are around children (even not their own) vs when they are alone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics