Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Can't remember title of a book... (see post for details)

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:33 pm
I'm trying REALLY hard to remember the title of a book I read as a kid.

Here are details I remember:

* I'd say it was aimed at 9-13 year olds?
* The plot was about an American boy who basically became an apprentice to his grandfather, a mekubal in Tzfat before his bar mitzvah. I think it's implied that his grandfather is a Lamed Vav-nik, and together they foil an evil scheme to scatter the bones of an evil sorceror in the waters of Tzfat... at one point, they're kidnapped and it's actually a bit scary as it's implied they'd torture a child... the grandfather has Kabbalistic kung-fu powers to help them escape (only revealed at the very end) as well as other mystical mojo... I think there's a mashal with two brothers, one good, one evil, that the grandfather uses to explain the potential for good that their captors have... at the end, the grandfather dies, but the grandson gets his tefilin...
* I think the title had "Bones" in it?
* The cover was of an old Jewish man and his grandson looking down into a well, and their reflections were of their skeletons instead of their regular faces.
* I think the publisher was Pitspopany, a small Jewish publishing company that has since gone out of business (I think -- their website no longer exists). Other books by the same publishers include "The Gang of Four", a sort of Jewish Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys thing, and a Jewish sci-fi anthology that included a short story about an alien species of sentient cholent.

It's driving me nuts to remember so many details but forget the title!
This isn't for anything in particular, it's just niggling in my brain and I can't let it go!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:40 pm
http://www.abebooks.com/Curse-.....23/bd

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:02 pm
Bigsis, I totally understand that frustrated feeling. How wonderful that you got your answer, and so fast! HY, are you a librarian, or do you just have a phenomenal memory?

Anything you need to know, ask a librarian. Even if they don't know the answer, they know where to look, and if they don't know where to look, they have an online network of fellow librarians to ask.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:03 pm
Whoo! Thanks!
Have you read the book, or are your Google-Fu skills superior to mine? Very Happy

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:26 pm
I liked this book as a preteen! It was a very strange story, but in a good way!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:43 pm
I know you got your answer, but I actually know that book. I got it for my ds recently.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 12:22 pm
Completely google -- I never heard of it before, and it's so not my speed Smile
BigSis gave enough clues for me to find it easily.
Pitspopany and Bones I think pulled it up last night. I don't remember now.

(I wanted to be a research librarian when I was in high school, but that dream was as far as I got...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room