Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
MEDIUMS: Allowed or not?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:21 am
I have watched a show about Mediums.
For people who don't know what that means, it is an individual who is able to connect ans speak to people who are departed.
I often wonder, if it's considered against the Torah to do a reading with a Medium.
I understand many people are skeptics but I would love to hear from a grandfather whom I miss dearly. I guess I need to know if its wrong or against Halacha?

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
I have watched a show about Mediums.
For people who don't know what that means, it is an individual who is able to connect ans speak to people who are departed.
I often wonder, if it's considered against the Torah to do a reading with a Medium.
I understand many people are skeptics but I would love to hear from a grandfather whom I miss dearly. I guess I need to know if its wrong or against Halacha?

Almost 100% sure not allowed. Aylor

smss

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:32 am
I would be very doubtful that it's allowed, but even more doubtful that these people aren't quacks...

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:46 am
I'm pretty sure its completely assur. Isn't there a discussion in Navi about this when Shaul consults the witch?

MrsDash

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:12 am
I'm pretty sure the dead have better things to do.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:25 am
The whole idea sounds so spooky to me, I could never imagine why someone would do it.

I think it's straight out assur.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:33 am
דברים י"ח
י לֹא-יִמָּצֵא בְךָ, מַעֲבִיר בְּנוֹ-וּבִתּוֹ בָּאֵשׁ, קֹסֵם קְסָמִים, מְעוֹנֵן וּמְנַחֵשׁ וּמְכַשֵּׁף. יא וְחֹבֵר, חָבֶר; וְשֹׁאֵל אוֹב וְיִדְּעֹנִי, וְדֹרֵשׁ אֶל-הַמֵּתִים.

There shall not be found among you anyone who passes his son or daughter through fire, a soothsayer, a diviner of [auspicious] times, one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, י. לֹא יִמָּצֵא בְךָ מַעֲבִיר בְּנוֹ וּבִתּוֹ בָּאֵשׁ קֹסֵם קְסָמִים מְעוֹנֵן וּמְנַחֵשׁ וּמְכַשֵּׁף:
11. or a charmer, a pithom sorcerer, a yido'a sorcerer, or a necromancer. יא. וְחֹבֵר חָבֶר וְשֹׁאֵל אוֹב וְיִדְּעֹנִי וְדֹרֵשׁ אֶל הַמֵּתִים:
12. For whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations, the Lord, your God is driving them out from before you.

morah

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:58 am
Assur- the ov and yidoni (which are different types of mediums, I forget what the distinction is) are an issur d'oraisa. You can also read the end of Shmuel I, where Shaul consults an ov because he wants to talk to Shmuel. Shmuel tells him off for it, and it doesn't end well for Shaul, who dies in battle, along with his three sons, the next day.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:01 am
I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about my mother.

I've watched some of the shows and feel like I'm doing something wrong just watching it.
my dh said straight out that using a medium is assur.

There used to be a show on where the main character (a mother and judge) would talk to her dead mother in her room and my mother would always comment how lucky the character was. My mother also lost her mother young.

I know dreams are manifestations of our thoughts and we arent neviyim and people dont come to talk to us in our dreams, but I have found believing in my dreams to be helpful. I have dreamed about my mother in the past and I've woken up knowing I made a good decision or a bad one, and rectified it. Again it's just my subconscious telling me what I need to do, but at the same time I guess it knows that if "it" comes to me as my mother I'll look a little closer at myself.

At my mother's shloshim I asked someone a question. During the 30 days I realized that the next time I'll see my mother will be when Mashiach comes. I started wishing for Mashiach for that reason. He told me that is fine. He said eventually I should be striving to want Mashiach for the right reasons but there is nothing wrong with having this reason too.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:01 am
Are there really people who can still do this today? Call me a sceptic but I just can't believe it.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:05 am
I hope you're not talking about the Long Island Medium show..I'm not sure what I believe about mediums, if they exist or not (but if they did I'm almost certain it'd be assur to consult with one). But I do know that if it G-d had granted this ability to anyone, it would not be to some bleach blonde loudmouth with 5 inch talons. Who by the way uses her holy ability to finance her Louis Vuitton collection. And pay for her son's and husband's muscle tees. Sorry just that show makes me nauseous.

OP, I'm sorry about your grandfather. I would suggest davening hard for Moshiach and T'chias Hamaisim when you will be able to speak with him again all by yourself Smile

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:19 am
OP HERE
Thank you for all the responses.
You see, its not just that I have an interest in it to know whether it's true or not, there is something in my life really connected to my grandfather and although I have been to many rabbonim and gedolim I still dont know whether I have done the right thing.
I would like to know how he feels about it?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:22 am
Hugs, I know what it is like to lose someone you love so much. The loss of the relationship is so hard.

Besides being an issur d'aroisa, these people who do it are taking advantage of the pain and suffering people who lost a love one. What a disgusting way to make money by manipulating and using people who are suffering.

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:28 am
OP, I so understand you. I often wonder if these shows are "real"-- is there some sort of koach in the universe that allows people to connect with the dead? I don't know what the halacha says-- but are you sure that a medium is the answer? I think most of these mediums are fake . . .

lucinda

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:40 am
absolutely not allowed. it's kishuf.

what happens in the world of the tanach (cf witch of endor for example) is not all ok for us.

a lot of us have questions we'd like to ask from those who have passed on. it's harsh, but that's what death is. I hope you find the answer within yourself.

I believe it can be done and it is possible (mediums) but that doesn't mean WE are allowed to do it or benefit from it. it's a lav midoraisa if I am correct - but if you're not sure, as someone said, aylra.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:45 am
Hugs. I don't know if this will make you feel better, but you can daven for clarity. Sometimes messages come to you in other forms.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:09 am
The mediums are fake. There's a million dollars waiting for anyone who can prove they're not a fake. http://www.randi.org/site/inde......html

Hugs OP.

black and white

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:14 am
Thank you everybody.
I will not be going to see a medium since its against the Torah.
Thank you Mabelle for your kind post, I will be davening for clarity on the matter.
To all the posters who wrote that they just wanted to feel connected to a loved one who is no longer here, that is exactly what I was feeling.
I do daven for Mashiach when I can see him again.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 12:58 pm
Off topic, but can amother edit her posts?

-Sherri

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 12:59 pm
Hm, I can't. How did previous poster do that?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics