Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
MEDIUMS: Allowed or not?
Previous  1  2  3

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Um, am I just really slow? I can't figure it out....

Last edited by TheTroll at 2 am on Easter Sunday

marshmallow peeps?

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:41 pm
Not everyone can be awesome as I am all the time...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:43 pm
I got it!!!

Last edited by William Randolph Hearst at lunchtime; edited two times in total

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:43 pm
:hats off

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:44 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
very nice. did you get any chocolates?

No, but I just ate some leftover MM chocolate, and I shouldn't have.... Exploding anger

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:45 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
did the queen get any champagne?

This queen doesn't need champagne, her subjects are her only joy in life. Queen

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:46 pm
Sherri wrote:
Not everyone can be awesome as I am all the time...

More truthful words have never been spoken. Salut

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:47 pm
Sherri wrote:
:hats off

Thanks hon! Hooray

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 9:47 pm
gold21 wrote:
More truthful words have never been spoken. Salut
Cool

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:22 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
regardless of how I feel about mediums, or this women, I find your posting terribly mean. you don't have to like her, but do you need to insult her? do you know for a fact who pays for her vuitton bags? or her children's clothing?

not necessary. a simple "I don't like the long island medium" would have sufficed

I feel more strongly than 'don't like.' And no, she's never itemized all her belongings for me and told me where they each come from. But she does private and group sessions for a sizable fee. I guess everyone's entitled to make money how they can, but I just think that if someone really was in posession of such a spiritual gift, they would lead their life differently. My SIL watches the show, and it just grosses me out. The crazy luxury, the bad spray tan, the helmet hair. All paid for by people who are suffering. Makes me upset just thinking about it. How do you go from passing messages from a deceased child to his grieving mother, and then go for a facial? To me, it's either fake or heartless, and both are deplorable.

But then again I'm a cynic by nature. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 10:28 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Hugs. I don't know if this will make you feel better, but you can daven for clarity. Sometimes messages come to you in other forms.

This is all you can do. The rest is no-no.

One wonders why you are so insecure. You know your grandfather's values. You already know what he would think. Are you just preferring your own way? That's not necessarily bad, but just be honest with yourself about that.

Daven and be alert and aware, and clarity will come to you. Meaning, only just barely enough clarity. Certainty is in the Shema.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:08 am
FWIK the one's practicing this type of communication with the diseased, use כישוף/magic with the כח הטמא/koach hatamah, and is thus very painful for the neshama/soul they are bringing forth (from Gan Eden) in order to communicate.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:09 pm
Modern-day "mediums" are fakes, of course, so anyone consulting them is wasting his or her precious money. Bal tashchit at the very least.

if they could really speak to the dead, consulting them would be 100% neged haTorah. As is stated baldly and succinctly in the Book of Deuteronomy, Chapter 18, verses 9-11, "lo yimatze vecha...shoel ov veyid'oni vedoresh el hameitim". This prohibits people from consulting such a practitioner. In the book of Leviticus, there is a harsh prohibition against doing divination, having "familiar spirits" and similar acts, the penalty being Mot Yumatu, baeven yiirgemu otam (they shall surely die, they will be stoned). The term used there is an "Ov" which is translated as one who divines by ghosts, I.e. speaks to the dead.

You will recall that in the First Book of Samuel , Chapter 28, King Saul consults a medium, or more correctly necromancer, (known colloquially as the Witch of Ein-Dor, but Biblically as a "baalat ov" IOW one who has mastered the art of speaking to the dead) with calamitous results.

I haven't asked a modern-day rav, as I have never had the faintest interest in consulting such a practitioner. However, based upon logic applied to other, much more innocuous actions, I would assume that consulting so-called psychics and so would be prohibited, even if it is not today the same act that it was four thousand years ago, simply because it closely resembles the Biblically forbidden act. Considering how many frum communities forbid even attending a "magic" show, which everyone knows is not magic and is simply accomplished by sleight of hand and distracting the eye, it's pretty clear that consulting a "medium" or "psychic" or "intuitive" or whatever the term is these days, must decidedly be forbidden.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:20 pm
lucinda wrote:

what happens in the world of the tanach (cf witch of endor for example) is not all ok for us.

It wasn't ok then, either. Mideoraita. The so-called Witch of Ein-dor (who was NOT a mechashefah, or sorceress, but a baalat ov, or necromancer) got the fright of her life when Shaul was unmasked because she was committing a capital offense right in front of the very king who had banished all of her kind from the land. Never mind that he asked her to do it. Entrapment is not a modern invention.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:44 pm
Haha, I thought this thread would be about clothing sizes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics