Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleach load for dummies??? Please help

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:09 pm
I was never taught to do laundry properly and I need to get my whites to be white! How do you do a bleach load? Do you just put in bleach instead of detergent?

TIA

Anon cuz I'm embarrassed of my lack of laundry skills despite having done laundry for years.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:31 pm
I have bleach-o-phobia
I have had too many times tiny little splatters of bleach on clothes that I did not intend to get bleached or on what I think might have been left over bleach possibly on the side that speckled my clothes and I refuse to use bleach.

I have ruined my sons tzitzit beacuse I left them in a sink with bleach for too many hours and the strings disintegrated -

I do darks and light load of laundry - and when I wash my white shells I do them in a separate load so no other colors will bleed into them and taint the water

So I am with you - OP - I don;t know how to correctly use bleach either.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:35 pm
first off don't do laundry with your clothes on ... don't leave anything other than the whites nearby

put on hot cycle ... extra rinse ... pour in some bleach - add detergent & let the cycle run ... for an added boost you can put in some baking soda as well & don't forget fabric softener for a nice smell at the end ...

also for extra stains I use some bleach & detergent directly on spot & scrub ~ especially good for ring around the collars & cuffs of shirts/blouses that absorb dirt - or kids shirts with grape juice spills & the like

no need to be afraid of your laundry Drunken Smile

mommy9

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:44 pm
Put bleach in addition to detergent. I keep an old robe next to the washing machine and put it on over my clothes when I pour in the bleach because I've splattered too many things!

piece

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:31 pm
- for underwear, undershirts, tzitzis, white tablecloth - bleach with detergent & warm to hot water
- for shirts, & white shells - I soak with Oxy & tiny bit of bleach (for few hours). I would do the same for white socks.

m+m

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:49 pm
I have a separate place to pur the bleach in and I run an extra cycle on the machine (pre-wash).
Pour in my detergent and softener in their compartments.
Wash on hot/cold

I do this for undershirts, white socks, white shells, baby undershirts, white underwear.

I feel like the bleach maintains the white color, don't expect the bleach to take out old undershirt stains.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:55 pm
DO NOT ADD the bleach together with the regular detergent wait 5 minutes because detergents have special chemicals that help remove stains, but bleach will stop this reaction. Of course you cannot add it too late because then, well, it won't work. You may also add baking soda to the load together with the bleach.

I never wash with bleach. I use hydrogen peroxide and/or vinegar because I love the smell!(don't mix these two & do not mix them with the bleach or even in the same load).

BTW for bad, messy stains Wash with dish washing soap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry