Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Crockpot recipe for shabbos day- not cholent!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 2:27 am
Hi!

I love making a one pot meal like cholent for shabbos lunch but my DH hates cholent. What recipes do you guys have for shabbos day in the crockpot that can be put in friday and cooked over night, besides for cholent?? Thanks in advance!

Id love an assortment as I work and dont have time to make a proper shabbos lunch every week....

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:37 am
I put in all the makings for Italian meatball sauce and raw meatballs. Turn on the crockpot right before I go light candles. (Asked a rav and perfectly acceptable lechatchila). Make spaghetti before Shabbos and for lunch we have meatballs and spaghetti. There is never anything left.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:39 am
How about a hearty soup?

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....04082

ocee

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:16 am
Meatballs with potatoes
Chicken and rice
Shoreline and side dish...

ocee

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:19 am
Eek... meant shnizel and side dish, not shoreline Surprised

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:29 am
I have been wanting to try meatballs in the crockpot for shabbos but was worried about them getting too overcooked and dry and also the sauce (tomato-based) getting kind of overcooked and burnt tasting. Can those of you who have tried this share... how much sauce do you need and do you water it down a bit? How much it proportion to the meatballs? And for the meatballs can it just be seasoned meat or do you add something to help keep them moist?

Happy18

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
I have been wanting to try meatballs in the crockpot for shabbos but was worried about them getting too overcooked and dry and also the sauce (tomato-based) getting kind of overcooked and burnt tasting. Can those of you who have tried this share... how much sauce do you need and do you water it down a bit? How much it proportion to the meatballs? And for the meatballs can it just be seasoned meat or do you add something to help keep them moist?

Every time I do this it comes out eh. If someone has a solution I'm also interested.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:38 am
Oops, should have mentioned that I add 1 c. of water more than usual. Make big meatballs and do it on low from right before shabbos starts

oliveoil

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:38 am
Slice a bunch of onions in rounds. Put them in the bottom of the crockpot. Put a piece of second cut brisket on top. A bunch more onions and whatever spices you want. Put it up right before Shabbos. Shabbos day, it will be super soft and ready to shred. You can mix it with some bbq sauce when you shred it. Serve with rice (heated on top of the crockpot)

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:39 am
just out of curiosity, why would someone post anonymously to ask about a meatball recipe?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:49 am
heidi wrote:
just out of curiosity, why would someone post anonymously to ask about a meatball recipe?

I didn't mean to. Probably shouldn't post while distracted with other tasks. Sorry. And thanks for the tips. I'm going to try this for Shabbos.

syrima

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:03 am
I make a mushroom barley soup in the crockpot when I know we are having vegetarians for lunch.
I'm not very exact about it, but the general idea is:

1 onion, diced
1 cup barley
1 can mushrooms or 1 box fresh ones sliced
carrots or celery optional
soup mix, soy sauce, and a dash of red wine
lots of salt and pepper

main thing is to sauté the onions and mushrooms first in oil in a frying pan, then dump everything into the crockpot and simmer. Check water level before Shabbos and adjust as needed.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:44 am
Try beef stew.
I think there are some good recipes on here.
You can do a beer beef stew, but that doesn't have too many veggies.
Or you can do beef with vegetables (potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots...), I can give you a recipe if you want.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:33 pm
MiracleMama, good luck! Hope you get rave reviews!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:53 pm
tebeet, which is basically chicken and rice. Now chicken would get very soft, if you get it right the bottom rice gets nice and crunchy crust. Bury a few extra eggs. I think I posted recipes some time ago.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:04 pm
Over 30 years ago we had a cookbook of Shabbos morning recipes from around the globe. There was takeh a meatballs & tomato sauce recipe. It had all kinds of fresh tomatoes & parsley & garlic etc.

And in the end, it tasted like ....... cholent.

I do think chicken & rice has a lighter taste but still a bit 'cholenty'.

I do a tzimmes (famous in my circles & that's why I am anon...)

I do mostly carrots - use only loose; the bagged are awful. I sometimes put in a sweet potato, butternut squash & even a white potato. Lots of honey, some agave or xylitol. I like it very sweet. I sometimes use a bit of fresh or frozen ginger, cinnamon. Occasionally I try things like cloves, allspice, or Chinese five spice powder. Sometimes a little brown rice or barley.

Of course you can add meat and prunes if you like those...

Mostly I just like it plainish. I keep it on low. A lot of people are afraid but many like it.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:24 pm
We virtually never make cholent. Instead I do things like chili, chicken soup, beef stew. When making chili or stew you need to brown your meat and your onions and garlic prior to setting up everything else. Then add your beans, your veg, your seasonings and your liquids. Don't add too much of the liquid as it continues to make it's own. Sometimes I use chicken or veggie broth, sometimes a can of crushed tomatoes, sometimes some red wine or a beer. I serve it over room temperature rice, noodles or mashed potates. And unlike cholent you won't feel as though your insides are going to explode!

eschaya

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:43 pm
Stuffed cabbage. I keep made stuffed cabbage in the freezer, so it's cooked but fully frozen and I put it up only right before shabbos, so by shabbos day it's a bit more cholent-y than regular stuffed cabbage, but still easily ID-d as what it is.

bookworm10

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:51 pm
Pastrami roast- in water. It can cook on low for hours and hours and is delicious.

etky

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 4:20 pm
We had friends who are vegan over for lunch today so I decided to make a hearty vegetable soup in the crock pot. I used onions, leeks, kholrabi, celery, parsnips, sweet potato, carrots, zuchinni, mushrooms chopped parsley and celery leaves and a cup of lentils. I put it up before Shabbat on low. I looked at it before I went to sleep and it looked and smelled amazing. This morning when I took off the cover to serve it, lo and behold, it was .....cholent. Well, not exactly cholent, because it had no meat, barley, beans or potatoes in it, but you could have fooled me. Our guests were happy enough with it but I felt like I was eating cholent soup.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen