Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you let your kids play in this playground?
1  2  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 4:55 pm
http://www.theatlantic.com/fea.....8631/

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:12 pm
I'm sure the author has valid points, way too long to digest now. But from the pictures, I don't think so. There are many other opportunities I can offer my kids to take reasonable, growth-oriented risks, thank you very much.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:37 pm
life is too boring not to have such adventures ... then again I'm a bit of a tomboy & had my share of similar adventures growing up

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:43 pm
in a clean version maybe as long as I am supervising closely.

Beyla

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:48 pm
Never in this playground.

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:55 pm
We played on my grandmother's farm a ton as a kid. This playground is safe compared to the things we did. Jumping from the roof of one farm building to another. Making rock rings and starting fires in them. Climbing the windmill tower. Swimming in the water tank the cows drank from. Building our own tree houses from scrap wood with hammers and nails. I don't remember every getting hurt or my cousins either. When ever any of us got hurt, it was back home in suburbia (brother broke his arm falling off the monkey bars, for example). Nobody ever got hurt falling off a roof into straw or dirt. We modern humans are remarkably bad at assessing risk.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:00 pm
I'm not sure how closely you read the article. there are are a bunch of staff supervising from a distance. So if anything too crazy happens they can intervene.

I love the idea in theory but some aspects of this particular one looks kind of gross. Old mattresses?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:03 pm
ElTam ~ sounds like us growing up ... we cause my mama near heart attack several times jumping from roof to roof ... hanging from trees & getting lost in the woods, swimming in swamps for frogs ... forget the homemade go-carts down the hill [aka road] - I don't know how we survived ... okay a few stepped on rusty nails, barbed-wire gashes, really never hurt anyone permanently ~ even when shooting a gun

getting bunked by a bull did scare me & make me cry ~ MOO !!!

Last edited by greenfire on Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

morah

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:04 pm
I would, but a little older than 5.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm sure the author has valid points, way too long to digest now. But from the pictures, I don't think so. There are many other opportunities I can offer my kids to take reasonable, growth-oriented risks, thank you very much.

Such as?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:10 pm
That's why I go to the country in the summer. The kids play outdoors, my kids have built clunhouses out of boards they found. We supplied the nails... My dh is also very into giving the kids broken small appliances or other electronic devices and they take it apart to see how it works.

chanee

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 6:19 pm
maybe from age 9, but fire no. kids don't have to learn the risk of fire by experimenting them.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:28 pm
This article reminded me of an Adventure Playground I went to with my frum day camp when I was about 10 or 11:
http://www.huntingtonbeachca.g.....d.cfm

This place charges admission for "playing with junk". It didn't seem like any of the places mentioned in the article charged, but this place may need the funds for the adult supervision/maintenance to remove anything especially dangerous. It also looks like it's part of the Huntington Beach parks department... the website is a .gov.

It was pretty cool. The lines for the zipline and mudslide were too long, and there weren't enough nails in the building area (too many kids in the place at once), but the idea was great. We all had to bring a change of clean clothes for the bus ride home. I can only imagine if the boys division went, they'd have enjoyed it even more!

With adult supervision guaranteed, I'd hold my breath and say a kapitel tehilim but say yes to kids maybe 7-8 or older, because b'shitta I really think it's good for them.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:31 pm
I would say yes to the last two pics

marina

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:00 pm
sure, I would let my kids play there, I'd probably offer it up instead of computer for a treat

eschaya

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:32 pm
Of course! The more "dangerous" it seems, the more my kids want to play. B'H we live in a very suburban area (Ok, some parts are almost rural) and our backyard opens to a decent sized wooded area. My sons and their friends play back there for hours, digging, building, climbing trees, "discovering" buried objects. The only time I ever objected was when they somehow got their hands on an ax and were "chopping" wood. I took the ax away. Otherwise... I just say "be careful" and then go inside. It's so healthy for them.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:41 pm
Absolutel! I we ntthere as a kid 20+ years ago a nd it was one of the most exciting, magical camp trips. I looked forward to it every year. So funny to see pictures as an adult, since the slide and Lake look so much smaller...there were also plenty of staff around keeping kids safe.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:44 pm
Oops, I'mthe last amother referring to thehHuntington Beach playground that article reminded me of that too.

mommyla

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:06 pm
Oh my gosh, bigsis, you are my HERO! I remember that place from camp too and was never able to figure out where and what it was. I'd love to take my DS there when we go for Pesach but it's not open until June... oh well, guess we'll have to wait until next time we're there in the summer. THANK YOU!!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:14 pm
The fire part is what has me saying no. Other than that I would take a 7 year old there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics