Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Touching his private parts

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:37 pm
My little one is 14 months now and always has his hands down there when I diaper him and in the bath, he screams when I tell him no, or take his hands away. Is this normal? Do you think s/t is bothering him or he's just getting pleasure out of it? and last but not least, how do I stop him?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:40 pm
He is not having pleasure. He is a baby and is just playing with something that is usually covered. Does he have a rash? Maybe it itches him? When you diaper him & in the bath give him a toy to play with.

*Added: Does he do it only when undressed or also when he's clothed? Because if when he's clothed maybe he is trying to say something hurts/itches.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:42 pm
Saying no just turns it into a power struggle. Either distract him or ignore it. Its totally normal and doesn't mean he'll be doing it at an older age.

morah

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:44 pm
Completely normal, don't stop him. He just figured it out, it's like a new toy. If he's really rubbing or scratching, that may indicate it's bothering him (so change his diaper more often). He's not old enough to think of it as anything more. Don't make an issue, he'll stop when he gets bored of it. He may start up again when he's 3 or 4, at that point you can explain that it is not appropriate in public, we don't treat it like a plaything, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:31 pm
Thanks guys for all ur input, this is my first (as u can tell;) so this totally freaked me out. I do try to distract him by giving him toys...but he drops it right away and goes right back...guess I'll just ignore it and hope that it'll pass soon...

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:38 pm
My policy is that this is why Hashem gave us belly buttons Smile I make a whole game out of it, and play peek-a-boo with the belly button and tickle it.

When the child touches anyway, I sometimes say, "we don't touch there, it's holy!"

birdy

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:54 pm
My 18 yr old ds does it too.. I always just figure that he's too young to do it intentionally, and I don't want to make a big deal out of it so I usually just ignore it.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:57 pm
birdy wrote:
My 18 yr old ds does it too.. I always just figure that he's too young to do it intentionally, and I don't want to make a big deal out of it so I usually just ignore it.

Month LOL

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:57 pm
birdy wrote:

18 years old is too old to do it in public.

jk I know you meant 18 months

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:59 pm
my 4 year old does it.

I dont care if he touches down there but I dont let him because then he touches the baby and his hands are full of bacteria. there are only so many times I can wash his hands with soap
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics