Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Boro Park Groceries

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 1:34 am
We're struggling and one of the pieces of advice we got was to do one shopping order a week in one place and stick to our budget. We are looking for a budget friendly grocery that has everything under one roof. Which grocery has the best prices all around and great specials?

We live near 13th Avenue so that's the area we'd like to stick to.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 1:57 am
I do one large purchase weekly at KRM. Food staples, meat, poultry, fish, beverages, produce, cleaning products, paper goods...
It still costs plenty, but overall they have the best prices.
In general, their meat, chicken, milk and eggs are cheaper than anywhere else.
All their items are either comparible to other places or cheaper.
And don't forget to shop their weekly sales and make your menu based on that! (I log on to watsonsale.com Tuesday evenings to see the new sales and write my list for Thursday's shopping accordingly.)
Oh, did I forget to say that you must have a menu prepared for the entire week including shabbos, weekday dinner, snacks, lunches, etc. before you prepare your shopping list so you know you really have everything you need at home after your once a week order.

(If you're used to shopping at smaller groceries or smaller supermarkets than you will for sure see the difference in pricing right away.)

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 12:16 pm
KRM and Gourmet Glatt is probably your place to go.

I personally prefer GG because it is cleaner, neater and in general a nicer shopping experience.
Also the foods and items I buy most of are cheaper in GG. The best bet would be to compare some prices in the two stores that you buy most weeks and see which place is cheaper.

Also a note KRM charge for delivery IIRC and GG is free.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 12:49 pm
Rosner's on 14th has amazing prices. Less selection than the bigger stores but that was never a problem for me because they had pretty much everything I needed.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 1:00 pm
seeker wrote:
Rosner's on 14th has amazing prices. Less selection than the bigger stores but that was never a problem for me because they had pretty much everything I needed.

They take cash/foodstamps only so if you like to pay by credit card, you need to go elsewhere.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 1:09 pm
Right but that actually helped me stick to a budget - I could not spend more than the cash I brought with me, so I was forced to make better choices. I think they accepted checks too. Not sure if they still do, haven't been in that area for a while.

imamom7

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 2:35 pm
I order from gourmet glatt- I also order based on sales... I find their chicken very clean and their produce nice and prices ok- also I go to shoprite every 2 months and buy cereal pasta cleansers on sale- its soooo much cheaper than frum stores- oh and free delivery and they honor sales

STovah

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 10:30 pm
imamom7 wrote:
I order from gourmet glatt- I also order based on sales... I find their chicken very clean and their produce nice and prices ok- also I go to shoprite every 2 months and buy cereal pasta cleansers on sale- its soooo much cheaper than frum stores- oh and free delivery and they honor sales

I would suggest you do something like this... Do your regular weekly shopping either at KRM or Gourmet Glatt, depending on your preference (I value saving money, and KRM is cheaper than GG on the whole, but GG has much better produce and I'd rather do all of my weekly shopping in one place), but stock up on cereal, pasta and other non-perishables when they go on sale in Shoprite.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 1:39 pm
I shopped at KRM and GG and found that KRM has better specials but their meat and produce depts. leave much to be desired and the selection is not as great. I also found that because I walked in thinking e/thing was "cheap" I wound up spending more. At GG things are not cheap but their specials are very good and their produce is well priced (and FRESH!) I also find the fish and meat choices and prices to be excellent. Funnily enough though KRM may be cheaper item for item, my total in GG is less. It could be it's just me but that's been my experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics