Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My son asked me what his "balls" are for
Previous  1  2

shlomitsmum

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:26 pm
my son asked this around 7 . I just told him matter of fact : those sacks are a complex system and are for storing special cells that will help you and your wife have a baby when you are all grown up , never heard a word again until he fell skiing and was worried he could have broken the cells . (he had learned at school that cells are like eggs and they used a chicken egg) I also told him girls have similar body part called ovaries , but ours are hidden inside our bodies.

We encourage him to use the correct term for his genitals ,no slang or vulgar sounding terms.

It is good he asked you ,that shows he trusts you Smile give LOADS of praise for coming to you

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 4:44 pm
nyer1 wrote:
for the record, in public school, health starts in 5th and 6th grade because that IS when puberty starts. they don't talk about contraceptives and intercourse at that age, but they DO talk about body changes etc. 10-11 is THE age to have these discussions, but better for a son to talk to the father and girls to talk to the mother.

This. My friend who teaches public school told me in her (poorly performing, deep inner-city) elementary school they have caught children as young as 5th grade having relations in the stairwell. Whether they were just playing around or going all the way is immaterial; it's clearly possible to be s*xually active in some form at the age of 9. Just because your ds is a frum kid doesn't mean his s*xual maturation will be delayed. If he's already asking, it's time to tell him the truth. I agree that telling your ds you don't know is not a wise response and will not increase his respect for you. Kids are not stupid, and this boy sounds cannier than most. He knows you know.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
My nine year old very inquisitive son took me by surprise last night when he got out of the shower he asked me "mommy when do I have balls/testicles?" I have always tried to teach my kids the proper names for their body parts. He went on to tell me he knows he has a benis so he can go to the bathroom but why the other stuff. I don't think he is ready for a zex talk and I was not prepared for the question so I simply said I don't know why do we have any of our body parts, they all serve some purpose even if we don't know why. Do you think I should have given a better answer? Should I bring up the subject again to clarify? Of I say they make sperm there's gonna be a whole lot more questions.

I would just drop the whole subject until you feel he is ready for the talk with his dad. But if he asks again then just tell him they are part of the package of being a boy and that they are part of his "private" area. Why get into it? Most likely this is a very superficial curiosity on his part like why is the sky blue?

But OP, I agree with you when you might want to inquire why he is prompted to ask these questions. Just making sure that he is not ahead of you in terms of knowledge about the birds and the bees. Dont press him. most likely the next thing he will be asking is why is his tongue fuzzy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics