Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Marine park neighborhood

mammala120

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 8:26 pm
we would like to buy a house and the only thing we can afford at this time is marine park realties. I went to see a house last week. looked good, but I cannot calm down due to fact that on that block only two jewish family, rest are non jewish. next door is even chinese couple. I got used to living in boro park for last 20 years surrounded by jewish people. question I have are?

1. are the non-jewish neighbors in marine park decent, respectful, safe.
2. how is crime rate.....do you get broken windows, people throwing things at you or your yards...
3. do you feel safe in marine park. would you let your 10 year old child walk outside alone?
4. which blocks have most jewish families.
5. is it safe to live one block from marine park...the giant Park itself.
6. how about robbery, is rate high, low.

please let me know any thing, good or bad about the area.

I will think of more questions for now.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 8:34 pm
I live in marine park, and LOVE the neighborhood. I haven't heard of any crime, but can't say that there for sure isn't-I have lived here for about 2.5 years now. It's safe to let a 10 year old walk alone, I believe. I don't live as close to the park, but wish I did. There are jewish and not jewish families where I live, and everyone seems pleasant and nice. Currently we are renting, but if we would be able to purchase a house, I would gladly do so in this neighborhood.

gold21

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 9:54 pm
My impression of Marine Park is that it's a quiet middle class neighborhood, lots of patriotic people, lots of police officers/ firemen/ civil servicemen.

I don't think that you need to worry about the safety of the neighborhood.

mammala120

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:02 am
thankyou for your replies

just that I feel kind of funny being only jewish family on the entire block. there is one family with two kids and another accross with two kids but not religious at all. I feel like my family will stand out because we are very religious, tznius, my kids go to BYBP, and we plan to keep our religious status that way. I feel like we will be stand out on the entire block front and back (we do have small kids close together in age, more then rest on that block) all the rest of goys there don't even have kids, they are all elderly. how will they cope with noise. my kids are noisy even if they will be playing in their own yard or balkony or porch.

I just fear to be standout, in the eyes. I am very private type of person especially when it comes to other religions. But I do like the quiteness, clear crisp air and greenery that will come about in summer especially the giant park.

I am at war with myself.....what to do??????????????

which blocks have more jewish families with houses for sale at this time? any

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:06 am
If you're very private, maybe you should look for something with a backyard, not a front yard.

reportrmom

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:09 am
We have been living in Marine Park for a decade. When we moved here it was real golus. With a lot of effort the men scratched together a minyan in somebody's basement for shabbos. Now boruch Hashem it has grown so much. There are a number of shuls to pick from.

It is a little bit of an out of town feel to it. Not all Jewish families are at the same place frumkeit wise, and you know what? We all get along anyway!

The neighborhood seems pretty safe. The non Jewish neighbors are mostly very friendly. They offer to help with whatever we need, we have borrowed chairs from one of them for a yom tov when we had a lot of company.

The only only drawback I will say is I have big kids who don't really have friends around because most of the frum families are younger. My smaller kids have tons and tons of friends. So you may want to look into that depending on how old you kids are. My big one is 15, and she is a girl. There do seem to be some boys of preteen and young teen age though. Not so many girls. A few but not many.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 11:22 am
There are over 1000 frum families in marine park I think. It is a culture shock if you are coming from bp and I know people who maed the move but they ajusted and are fine now. It's hard because there are no groceries on every corner and that is annoying especially since the local grocery closed down. A lot of htings depend block by block. I know peop[le that said the nonjewish people were very antagonistic when they were the first frum family to move in. That was not my experience. Everyone says good morning (make sure you say it back!) and just be friendly. I have italian, hispanic,jewish, irish, nordic, african american, and korean neighbors. Everyone keeps to themselves (no block parties on my block thank G-d! some blocks in marine park do that and you can ask about if the block makes block parties in the summer). july 4th there are a ton of fireworks which is annoying and I try to go away for that weekend. there are shuls near marine park (the real park) and there are lots of jewish families. it's very quiet over there. just try to be a good neighbor: shovel your sidewalk, say good morning, don't litter.
I know people that send to bybp that live in marine park.

reportrmom

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 11:31 am
Yes I forgot about the block parties!! That is one joy we have every year. Mad We try to go away for that shabbos but sometimes it is erev tisha b'av. Not all blocks make one though.

And Yes there are people who send to BYBP from out here. And I second the being a good neighbor and shoveling and cleaning up etc. We try to pitch in sometimes an shovel by the neighbors and they sometimes shovel for us on shabbos.

mammala120

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 2:07 pm
thank you so much everyone.

I am starting to get a good picture of marine park here. it sounds very good and friendly. we will see. I want to look into more houses and blocks before I settle on a spot.

my kids right now are 10 and under. which blocks have families with kids? like east 30 up or down and which avenues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating