Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organizing pantry and cabinets

amother

Post Sat, Mar 29 2014, 10:11 pm
Anyone have tips how to keep my pantry and cabinets organized? Real and concrete tips please???? I'd love to keep them neat long term after cleaning for Pesach...
Thanks!

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:45 am
One tip that made a huge difference for me: do you have moveable shelves?

If so, rearranging them before or just after Pesach to the height that works best in each area can make organizing so much easier.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 6:29 am
I can recommend a professional organizer if you want pm me

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 6:47 am
I have a few deep shelves. I've got some fairly inexpensive things that seem to be working. One is a wire basket type thing that clips under a shelf that I put circulars, etc. in. Once there's no room, I have to go through it, if I don't get to it sooner.
I have another wire four shelf unit hanging on the inside of one of the doors. (We had to saw down one of the shelves so the door will close.) I put most of my spices there. I still have others, and other baking stuff like cocoa, extracts, etc. I have those arranged on one of the shelves on a three step unit I got at TJ Maxx. Then I also sprung for one of these dividers that you can stack baking pans in. It's not perfect but that shelf does look better.
Hope this helps!

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:20 am
set aside certain spots for certain things ... cereal always goes on this shelf ... spices on that shelf ... canned goods high above ... etc.

make sure they always go back to their shelf - no fancy contraptions needed

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:33 am
I keep similar items together in boxes/containers. Like oil, Pam, etc all go in one box. I use shallow open boxes so I simply scan the pantry and easily find what I need. Pastas all go into another box. Rice and beans in another. Cans have their box. Cereals are all lined up in a row on one shelf. Baking items all in 1-2 boxes next to each other.

Also things I use daily I keep at eye/hand height. Wines I hardly use are on the floor behind my water bottles. Snacks I keep high up out of kids reach. See what system works for you, , which items it would be convenient for you to put where. (I'd keep heavy items low/waist level, light things on top).

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:27 am
greenfire wrote:

make sure they always go back to their shelf - no fancy contraptions needed

Putting things away where they belong - that's a novel concept! Seriously, for those of us not BO (born organized) the key is making sure things have appropriate, accessible places. I lived with these deep shelves for well over a year and could see why they weren't working for me. It took less than $25 for a few tchachkes to make the shelves work. But that's me. Some accessories, like old shoeboxes, or dollar store plastic shoeboxes can be very helpful too, as has been noted. YMMV.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:35 am
okay fine - post pictures/links of the contraptions for reconsideration

I do enjoy my canisters for flours / sugar / rice - so I guess some things are useful

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:36 am
• Buy a labeling machine and put labels on the shelves; it really helps! Keep similar items together, like pasta, sauces, canned goods, vitamins... and then put labels onto the shelves underneath, whether specific like "tomato sauce" or more general, like "crackers."

• Keep snack bag items in bins.

• If you have adjustable shelves, measure your food and adjust the shelves to maximize storage.

• If you buy bulk-packaged goods like those 30-paks of granola bars, you can store them in their box — cut it open on the side for easy access.

• On the door storage, tiered storage devices, and shallow shelves work really well for spices, sauces, and cans

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 1:54 pm
OP here. I heeded the advice and bought lots of bins yesterday.
My question now is, what do I do with all the stuff that have no place? Ex- kids prizes that don't belong, papers, etc...
Thx!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 2:04 pm
For papers and coloring books... I use those paper holders- you can find then at Target for a few bucks. Makes a world of a difference.
For prizes- each kid has a seperate cute prize bin also from Target. We go through it everu few months to make sure only useful junk is there.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 3:27 am
flowerpower wrote:
For papers and coloring books... I use those paper holders- you can find then at Target for a few bucks. Makes a world of a difference.
For prizes- each kid has a seperate cute prize bin also from Target. We go through it everu few months to make sure only useful junk is there.

Good idea. I think we need huge bins for that lol. Don't know why but the kids stuff end up all over Sad
I will check out the paper holders. Thank u!

baskrox

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:56 am
Each of my kids have a "project" box. It's about the size of a piece of construction paper (slightly bigger). I don't see it online, but Target sells them in the store. It's the same type as the shoebox size, clear with a lid, but it's the perfect size to store papers, and they stack beautifully. Once it's filled, they have to go through and make room for new ones.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:09 am
I know what you mean about prizes they can end up all around the house.

Each of kids has a prize box they keep under their bed. When it is full it has to be cleaned.

If I find prizes around the house when cleaning up it goes in a pile. If it isn't put away or claimed when I ask the next day - it gets thrown out - really my rule is that if I find it lieing around after bedtime it goes in the garbage - but some is too valuable to them so I started collecting it for the next morning, and then I throw it out.

some special large book projects I keep in a magazine holder (from target). The rest go into the garbage at the end of the week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics