Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
POLL NOW ADDED! Poll: What do you sell?
1  2  Next

What do you sell (if anything?)
A lot of chometz gamur  
 37%  [ 12 ]
At least a little chometz gamur, plus dust, etc.  
 31%  [ 10 ]
Only the proverbial dust on the dishes (which I cleaned)  
 21%  [ 7 ]
Nothing: I clean well and get rid of all chometz and say kol chamira  
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 32

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:38 am
I have seen threads about this, but got curious about percentages, since rabbinic opinion seems so divergent. What is your practice -- and if you don't mind sharing, what is your hashkafic derech (chassidish, yeshivish, sefaradi, MO, etc.)

It may take me a few minutes to figure out how to do a poll from my phone; bear with me.

Last edited by imasinger on Mon, Mar 31 2014, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

kalsee

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:49 am
I don't sell real chometz unless it would be a monetary loss, for example-expensive whiskey, etc.
I "sell" pots and pans- I am only selling the chometz that might be on them, same for closed cabinets that I don't check.

I buy chometz after pesach from any frum person who has sold his chometz-since for him it would have been a monetary loss to get rid of- any store, etc.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:54 am
It looks like I will have to get to the computer to set up the poll. Oh, well. Please stay tuned...

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:27 am
We sell anything which is not real chametz I.e. we would sell kitnios , etc..
Chareidi/ Litvish

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:44 am
Everything. Theoretically, only. I clean very well and like to start fresh after Pesach. So I only sell kitchen cabinets once cleaned, and real non-perishables liked canned items.

I'm Chassidish.

curlgirl

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:06 am
If you're "selling" kitniyos or canned goods (what chametz is in those?) or the possible crumbs in your closed off cabinets... You might not be selling any chametz at all.

Check with your Rabbi.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:00 am
curlgirl wrote:
If you're "selling" kitniyos or canned goods (what chametz is in those?) or the possible crumbs in your closed off cabinets... You might not be selling any chametz at all.

Check with your Rabbi.

This is why I wanted to make the poll.

(One more dairy cabinet to clean, and then I will go turn on the computer.)

Some seem to say you should only sell something real. Some say you should not sell anything real because it should all go. Some say that if you got rid of everything real and cleaned properly, you should not sell anything.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:13 am
when you buy stuff after pesach ... where do you think it comes from ???

sold chometz - it's all sold chometz !!!

m in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:30 am
greenfire wrote:
when you buy stuff after pesach ... where do you think it comes from ???

sold chometz - it's all sold chometz !!!

I actually do buy chametz that was sold over Pesach as long as we research the specific store and know that it was sold appropriately -- but it is not true that everyone does. Here in Israel there are many people who won't buy chometz that was sold for Pesach -- they only buy the special packages that are marked "neafah achar Pesach" (baked after Pesach with a year indicated). Some people will only buy things that are made from flour that was ground after Pesach ("netchan achar Pesach").

Additionally, it is possible to buy chometz items that actually belonged to a non-Jew over Pesach not through the "mechira" process -- in other words if you buy from a store that was owned by non-Jews (like a major supermarket chain in the U.S.)

busydev

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 11:53 am
I know ppl that dont sell and wont buy from jewish owned stores till a few months after pesach (yeshivish)
we are yeshivish and sell everything. since we arent making pesach we just lock up our apt and sell all chometz in it.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 11:56 am
kalsee wrote:
I don't sell real chometz unless it would be a monetary loss, for example-expensive whiskey, etc.
I "sell" pots and pans- I am only selling the chometz that might be on them, same for closed cabinets that I don't check.

I buy chometz after pesach from any frum person who has sold his chometz-since for him it would have been a monetary loss to get rid of- any store, etc.

We do the same. We give all opened packages that contain actual chometz to the housekeeper.

ascsam

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 2:43 pm
We sell chametz. I try to get it eaten down to as little as possible, but we sell whatever's left.

We're "etc." ;-)

Reality

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:04 pm
We sell liquor and kitniyos.

I will only buy from a frum owned store that sells their chametz.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:53 pm
We sell all types of chometz. We are yeshivish/litvish and I know in our circles most people don't sell or only sell liquor but dh's family have always sold so w're happy to keep that minhag Very Happy

pause

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:46 pm
We don't sell real chametz - unless there is a shaila of sustaining a hefsed merubah (similar to how a store may sell its chametz). We do sell kitniyos. We're chassidish.

curlgirl

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 1:17 am
Really, this concept of "selling kitniyos" is bothering me.

Do your Rabbis tell you to do this?
Do you consider it chametz?
Because it isn't! It's a group of foods we have a minhag not to eat on Pesach.

And as for kitchen cabinets. You are not selling the crumbs in them. You cancel them out when you do bittul chametz. Unless there's a whole kezayit in there.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 3:48 am
We sell "taarubos" with chometz -- products that contain chometz among other ingredients, like a corn or rice cereal that may contain flour/ gluten as well -- but we try not to sell items that are primarily Chametz, like bread, cake or cookies. I have never been able to figure out what the difference is (both are equally asur on Pesach!), but since that's what our family does, that is what we do.

We will sell "chametz gamur" if it is a hefsed merubah or difficult circumstances.

We also sell the Chametz in certain cabinets and pantries -- curl girl, obviously crumbs are not the issue. But when we sell a cabinet it means we didn't clean that particular cabinet at all, so there possibly may be an entire pretzel (or bissli bag or who knows what) that a kids threw in -- anything that we don't sell needs to be checked/ cleaned, especially in the kitchen.

We obviously don't actually sell kitnios, but we lock it up together with any chometz products that we are selling. It could be that is what people mean by "selling kitnios" -- that they put it away with other items that are being sold.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:43 am
we sell all kitniyos things and all keylim. like pots plates and silverware. we sell lots of toys that I have no energy to clean well.
we do not sell anything with real chametz in it. we try to use it all up before pesach.
we are charedi litvish.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:14 am
We do not sell our pots. Nor the chametz inside them.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 5:00 pm
Bump - please vote!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics