Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dumb question- is paper mache chametz?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:06 pm
Ok. Stop laughing at me. Im serious. Or seriously crazy.

DS is doing a project which is pretty much a soda bottle person. We are doing a paper mache head. As I was mixing the flour and water, my pre-Pesach RED ALERT sirens went off (come on- I know we all have one).

So, is paper mache glue, made from flour and water, but since then dried onto newspaper in the shape of a balloon and then painted considered chametz? or is that far enough to be 'not fit for a dog'?

yes, I have a call into my LOR, but he is a bit busy right now with his first few weeks of fatherhood and really important Pesach questions- not a high priority for him, I'm sure.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:07 pm
I wouldn't use it for pesach projects ...

or put it on the pesach table

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:09 pm
Its a Harriet Tubman- while it does continue the theme of freedom, I dont think I will have him put it on the table. In fact, since its due the day before Pesach break, it will still be at school

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:10 pm
so no worries of anybody licking it ...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:10 pm
ewwwwwwwwww

well maybe the cats, but they will eat anything

Happy18

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 3:13 pm
I think its fine. Not eating from it or near it.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 4:39 pm
Actually a good question. In the past, books were glued using a flour and water paste (artisan bookbinders sometimes still use it), and this is a concern in halacha (I think I remember that you were supposed to let it dry for 30 days before Pesach) so I'd recommend asking a rabbi.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 5:25 pm
I heard that paper mache is chametz.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 7:00 pm
Of course it's chometz. It's not appealing but it is edible. An exception might be if it was heavily lacquered so that the lacquer penetrated the whole thickness of the object and rendered it inedible. papier mache objects like bowls and furniture are in fact lacquered in this way. Otherwise, they'd fall apart if they got wet.

tempera paint used in grade school is not what you would call nutritious, but it's nontoxic. I would ask a shaila as to whether tempera paint renders an item inedible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children