Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Doour tenants deserve discounts??

amother

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:50 pm
So my tenants of 5 1/2 years have had some complaints throughout, which we have taken care of (when we felt it was our responsibility ) at our expense (although sometimes it took time to get resolved. Nothing that made the place inhabitable.
Now that they are looking to leave, the started giving us a whole list of how unhappy they were all these years and they want credit on their rent.
They have paid very low rent, and though their lease was up 2 years ago we never raised it knowing they weren't perfectly happy (I.e. one room is colder in the winter etc.)

Do you believe they deserve credit?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 8:55 pm
OP here: I mean to say nothing Uninhabitable!
I.E. leaking by a window which we paid $3000 to fix the leaking, and then redid the sheet rock because they kept on complaining about it.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:06 pm
Nope. The time to bring those issues up was then, not now.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:48 pm
Just seems like they are looking for ways to "earn" some quick cash for their moving expenses. I agree with what PP said. If they had issues, and wanted a discount, they should have brought that to your attention DURING that specific time. Not 5 years later. It's one thing if they were trying to get out of a lease agreement, and wanted to cut their lease short without the possibility of penalties. But to demand credit for their unhappiness? That's absurd!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 9:51 pm
They were unhappy? Who forced them to stay? No, they do not deserve a refund for any portion of their rent from what you describe.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 30 2014, 10:00 pm
Yup. Too late. If they were unhappy, they could have moved out when the lease was up, or asked to renegotiate rent at the time. Personally I think a leaking window, certainly in winter, is a big deal, but even so - it's history.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:25 am
you already gave them low rent ... what else do they want you to pay for their new place too ?!

anyways - just make sure to hang onto the deposit till after they are gone so you can do a check for leaving the place in proper condition ...

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:34 am
Cash grab! Those issues were to be discussed during the tenancy renewal .Now it is too late ..how annoying Exploding anger

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:45 am
We are currently renting. There are things that we are unhappy with, and the things that we are REALLY unhappy with, we tell our landlord the problem and then either it gets taken care of or we take care of it and she pays us back. No one is forcing them to stay, they can always look for another "better" place fb they want. The time to complain is when you are there, not when you are leaving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics