Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Lacquering Candle Sticks?

RW

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:39 am
I would love to lacquer my Shabbos candle sticks. Is it a good idea? Does lacquering really prevent tarnishing? Can lacquering ruin my candle sticks? Thanks in advance for your responses!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 6:00 pm
If they're silver, and you bentch with oil, they can't be lacquered. And the lacquer prevents them from being really shiny too.

Happy18

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 6:07 pm
A relative who is a jeweler told me not to as long term it damages the silver. I hope thats not true, but I haven't had the courage to have it done.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:01 pm
Not a good idea. 1. Lacquer will eventually oxidize and turn yellowish or darker. 2. Any place the lacquer gets scratched or wears off will tarnish. 3. Lacquered silver can't be polished.

Yes, polishing silver is a pain. So either don't use your silver, or take steps to [slow person] tarnishing. Store silver in as small an enclosed space as possible. A box is better than a cabinet is better than an open shelf. You can buy tarnish-retardant cloth to wrap your candlesticks--Hagerty is one brand--, or you can buy tarnish-retardant papers to put in the box or cabinet with the silver. Or you can bite the bullet and rub your leichter every week with silver-polishing cloth, or even just nice soft flannel. If you do this once a week, and keep your leichter in a cabinet when not in use, you will never need to use cream or liquid polish unless you want to give it an extra-brilliant finish.

Levtov

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:41 pm
I lacquered a large candelabra and love, love, love it! I never have to think of polishing or rubbing at all. It shines beautifully. In fact, I did it a second time about a year ago. The first time it lasted for about 3 years before it started yellowing a little. It is worth every penny. I did it by Eastern Silver in Boro Park, Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics