Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Elizabeth NJ jewish community

israeli83

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 12:19 pm
I live in NY but in the future we may move to NJ because the houses are cheaper over there. We don't want to move too far away from the city. So I searched online and found that there's a jewish orthodox community in Elizabeth NJ and it's not too far from the city. I like the fact that it also has some jewish schools and kosher restaurants. I just don't know anyone from that town. Are the people friendly over there? is it a good place for families with young children? My husband is sephardic, so are there any sepharadics as well?

Also, I'm looking into the areas near Elizabeth. I know that Linden also has a jewish orthodox community and it's not too far. How is Linden different from Elizabeth? where would I find more of a variety of jewish schools and shuls? and friendly people?
Thanks.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 5:43 pm
Linden in much more modern than Elizabeth, much smaller. No mikva yet. Only one shul and one minyan. Lots of politics. Also, taxes are higher and houses are a little more expensive. Only a bagel place and kosher shoprite bakery. No schools.
Elizabeth is bigger, has schools, 2 mikvaot, mix of more religious and MO people; there is also a Sephardic minyan in the Adas Yisrael (??) shul.
I have lived in both places- would not recommend linden to anyone, Elizabeth is the winner for me.

nyer1

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 8:37 pm
we had looked into it. despite the low cost of houses, I was turned away by the high taxes for not the best area. sure, the jewish neighborhood is nice, but union county and elizabeth itself or fairly known for high crime. wasn't for me. there was a gorgeous BRAND NEW house for less than 400k, but taxes were 13k!!!!! couldnt believe it. no wonder the house was brand new and on the market for so long.

but regardless of our decision, ive never met anyone who had negative things to say about the community itself. search on here, there are a few threads on elizabeth/hillside, which are adjacent. I've heard gr8 things about the schools. sounds like it is a very very nice place to live. good luck with your decision.

I hear there is some kind of prospective families shabbaton coming up. I dont know much about it, but it is worth looking into
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating