Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Spinoff: Parenting class/coach for fathers?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:50 pm
DH is a loving father who does many good things but there is a lot he doesn't know. He grew up in a very dysfunctional home and the people he later spent time with were mostly past the stage of raising little kids. There is a lot he could use to learn and it creates a lot of stress between us, he isn't necessarily going to do as I tell him yet he doesn't really know what he's doing on his own. If it was simply a matter of us having different parenting styles or opinions, we could talk it out, but it's more like he has NO parenting structure. We read a couple of parenting books together and both agreed that what they were saying made a lot of sense and we would try to implement it, but I feel that he didn't "get" it because he hasn't been able to follow through. So I guess a book is just too theoretical. A class aimed at mothers, which is most of what I see, would not talk to him at all. Suggestions?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 3:59 am
My husband has never been interested in parenting books, but when he started studying social work, he BH learnes many fundamental things about childhood etc. I have seen how his views changed for the better.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 12:23 pm
OK.... DH is not signing up for social work school in this lifetime. Next suggestion?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 2:57 pm
I am the op of the original thread.

Some classes are given over the phone or recorded on CD/MP3, so he can listen and apply. (Dina Friedman's, Perl Abramowitz's, and Sarah Jaroslowitz's are.)
But they're not geared for fathers unfortunately.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 5:06 pm
They're just too feminine. He would not appreciate them. Even if there are no classes, I'd be interested in hiring maybe a male coach he can talk to over the phone who can advise him in appropriate childrearing strategies for our family's stage. But I just don't know of any.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 5:49 pm
Is there anyone your DH knows who is an experienced, contemporary father who might be willing to serve as a mentor to him? Someone whose family he admires?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 6:15 pm
He's not open enough to just go to his older friends and ask for advice. That's why I'm looking for something more formal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics