Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Spoiler etiquette

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:02 am
When is it acceptable to publicly discuss spoilers? Also, do you think it applies differently to movies vs. TV? For instance, I think it's much more likely one will have viewed a TV episode within a few days, as opposed to a movie where many people don't want to spend the money to go to theater and will wait to rent it when it's available.
I have a friend who got annoyed about people talking about a certain movie that has already been on DVD for awhile. I don't think she's being fair- is she still going to expect this if she goes, say, the next two years before finding the time to watch it?
With TV, I generally wait until a weekend has passed to discuss with friends, because many DVR it and watch over the weekend. I think that's fair.
Anyway, at what point is it acceptable to stop being concerned with spoiling for those who haven't seen the show/movie yet?

Happy18

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:21 am
Discussing a movie once it's out on DVD is completely acceptable. I will say I was really unhappy yesterday when people posted the ending to the the finale of a TV show on Facebook within minutes of the show ending. Not all of us watch things live.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:26 am
It's funny, I don't watch that show, but have a lot of friends who do, and there was a lot of fighting about that last night Very Happy I do agree, especially in this day and age of DVR, that people should not post things the second it ends, but I also think that in this day and age of social media, you gotta expect that people will do exactly that, and it's best to avoid FB and Twitter for a few days (or until you watch it).

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:55 am
I don't know the proper etiquette regarding TV shows. But I will say that when Harry Potter 6 came out we were in a camp for the summer (my husband was working). The book came out on Shabbos and hundreds of campers and staff had pre-ordered it. It was delivered on Shabbos to the camp office and they would not open the office and give it out until Motzei Shabbos. On Sunday morning at breakfast someone who had obviously been up reading all night stood up in the dining room, grabbed the mike, and announced "Snape killed Dumbledore!!!!"

Now that was definitely an inappropriate "spoiler"!

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:59 am
From what I was taught (on TWoP), as soon as the episode has had its live East Coast airing, posting info on the show in question is okay. However, it is not permissable to post during the airing of the show, even if it's a a non-informative line like "Oh no they di'nt!".

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
I don't know the proper etiquette regarding TV shows. But I will say that when Harry Potter 6 came out we were in a camp for the summer (my husband was working). The book came out on Shabbos and hundreds of campers and staff had pre-ordered it. It was delivered on Shabbos to the camp office and they would not open the office and give it out until Motzei Shabbos. On Sunday morning at breakfast someone who had obviously been up reading all night stood up in the dining room, grabbed the mike, and announced "Snape killed Dumbledore!!!!"

Now that was definitely an inappropriate "spoiler"!

OMG! SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE??? I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT! IM ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH 5!

Just kidding. Couldnt resist.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:18 am
watergirl wrote:
OMG! SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE??? I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT! IM ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH 5!

Just kidding. Couldnt resist.

I'm so sorry! I would go back and put in a spoiler alert, but I can't edit as amother LOL

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 11:17 am
I think when discussing anything - ask if they've watched it yet or if they are planning to ...

for me - in the heat of a show/season - I don't want spoilers

but talk about a movie to some degree - because chances are by the time I watch it I'll forget - plus hearing doesn't equate to seeing & I will definitely be waiting for it to come to the library for free than see it anywhere anytime soon
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics