Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What's it like to be a service coordinator?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:19 am
Please share your experience, I'm thinking of looking into a job as a service coordinator.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:23 am
You deal with parents like me all day! We stress you out. Blame you for things that you have no control over and yell at you when you can't get things done.

You have to see parents constantly get screwed by the system (and a few get really helped)

It's a job full of heartbreak, stress, and rewards.

But oh heck the stress I have put ours through in the past... Would never want her job!

Ashrei

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:40 am
Our service coordinator is really on top of her game. She knows the system and gets things done, is sincere and helpful, and follows up.

Our first coordinator, with a different agency, was very incompetent. She would call me while stuffing her face to tell me my son wasn't approved for equipment he needed, without options, only excuses.

But now, you can't imagine the chesed it is and the appreciation we feel to be able to work with someone so competent. She's a blessing from Hashem.

If you can do it right, please do it. We really need more. You'd have the power to really improve the quality of life for some very special people.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:22 pm
I have children in the system, I am very familiar with this side of it ::sigh::
Thank you all who replied.
Any of you out there on the other side of the desk?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:01 pm
My sister is a service coordinator. I think she enjoys it.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:21 pm
I was a few years ago, EI and medicaid. Loved the job. But you have to be very okay with spending a lot of time on tedious paperwork, on traveling around/being in the field, going to strangers homes etc. there were times that I had to go to houses or public schools that I was afraid going to alone. There were also situations that were heart breaking. You have to be confident enough to handle parents who are frustrated at you, either because they're going thru a hard time or because of the system you represent but can't control. Aside from these things I loved the job. Loved the impact I had on people's lives, loved learning new things and meeting new people so often. Loved being the one to tie it all together. Actually enjoyed the paperwork too, since it helped balance the workweek between social time and just quiet work.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 4:06 pm
can you tell me more about the traveling?
none of the service coordinators that ive worked with ever visited my house of my children's school.
What state did you work in?
how is the salary, benefits and is there room for growth?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics