Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning tallis with atarah at home

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 7:36 am
Ladies,
How do you (if you do it) clean your DH tallit that has silver atarah on it?

Any tips?

TIA

paprika

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 7:41 am
When I asked this question, I was told to just give it in to the cleaners. You have to take off the silver atura, wash and iron the tallis which is very time consuming, polish the atura, which I'm not sure you can do it yourself, and then sew back on the atura.

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:06 am
I was wondering if it is possible to hand wash /spot wash the tallit whiel avoiding touching atara....
Cleaners are soooo expensive

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:17 am
I wash it with the atara on. Gentle cycle in the machine. Detergent with all fabric bleach and Oxyclean. I pretreat the lining with Shout Gel Stick. Doesn't come out brand new but it's okay. The best method of cleaning it is to give to a business who specializes in cleaning taleisim. Expensive, but it comes out very nice.

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:22 am
lkwdmommy wrote:
I wash it with the atara on. Gentle cycle in the machine. Detergent with all fabric bleach and Oxyclean. I pretreat the lining with Shout Gel Stick. Doesn't come out brand new but it's okay. The best method of cleaning it is to give to a business who specializes in cleaning taleisim. Expensive, but it comes out very nice.

I was thinking along these lines too Smile
Question: does the silver get dull or stays ok? And what do you do with the strings?

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:22 am
soak the talis along with atara in a bath of baking soda, vinegar & detergent - great for both whitening & de-oxidizing the silver ... gently rubbing on any spots or stains ... then rinse it by running water through & through ... do not wring it as it will cause wrinkling ... just hang it to dry

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:34 am
greenfire wrote:
soak the talis along with atara in a bath of baking soda, vinegar & detergent - great for both whitening & de-oxidizing the silver ... gently rubbing on any spots or stains ... then rinse it by running water through & through ... do not wring it as it will cause wrinkling ... just hang it to dry

Thank you

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:15 am
you're welcome ...

another thing to make sure is to rub the silver dry to a shine while hanging because you don't want water spots to create any new stains
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry