Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Halachic status of pre-seasoned grill pan
1  2  Next

manyhats

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 8:29 pm
Has anyone asked their Rav?

I went online and received conflicting responses.

Oh, and I just bought one!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:32 pm
Most say to kasher it (probably can do libun in the oven). You can call up the OU or Star K (410-484-4110) tomorrow if you don't have a rav to ask easily.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:41 pm
No idea about the status, but how did you know it's preseasoned? The reason I'm asking is bec I got a heavy grill pan as a wedding gift yers ago and never thought it would be pre-seasoned and use it a lot. I don't think it's cast iron, but I don't know. maybe hard anodized- not exactly sure what it's made of honestly.

granolamom

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:49 pm
My rov said to kasher it in the self clean cycle of the oven.

manyhats

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:42 pm
Update: My husband just came home from a shiur. He asked this question to Rabbi Schechter who doesn't believe it can be made kosher shock . He also said the CRC said you could boil it in burning water. I have such a pot, but my pan is too big for it.

Thank you HY for the phone #s. So nice of you. I'm in a quandry. One Rabbi already said "NO"

Thanks also to st and gm.

st: It says on the pan cover that it's preseasoned. A cast iron pan is very distinctive: It looks and feels very raw and it is quite heavy.

gm: good idea!

Happy18

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:43 pm
I was told to avoid purchasing. Can you return it?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 10:47 pm
I also heard you can't Kasher it. If you asked a Rav and he said no, why are you still looking for other answers?

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 11:39 pm
If you kasher it in the oven, does the oven need koshering afterwards?

manyhats

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 1:34 pm
Update:

Rabbi Nusbaum from OU said to put it in the oven on "self-clean"

I told him what Rabbi Schecterr said.

Rabbi Nusbaum countered that he would be speaking to Rav Schecter on Fri and that he would get back to me.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:37 pm
I'm surprised that anyone would say boiling it is good, boiling won't remove the seasoning. After a self clean cycle you can see the difference in the pan, it's a totally different color and requires seasoning before you can use it or the food will stick.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:38 pm
studying_torah wrote:
If you kasher it in the oven, does the oven need koshering afterwards?

I don't see why. If you kasher a fork in a pot, the pot does not require kashering afterwards

manyhats

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:56 pm
Rabbi Frankel from star K left a message on my machine: " place in oven 500/550 degrees for 45 minutes". Thanks again to fellow Imamother Hashem Yaazor for supplying their phone #.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:01 pm
excellent ... use in good kosher health !!!

manyhats

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:10 pm
Am waiting till Fri. Rabbi Nusbaum, from OU, will discuss kashrus issue with Rabbi Hershel Sshecter.

See previous posts.

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:23 pm
Just wanna make you aware that boiling it in hot water can crack it. If you read the instructions it should say not to let hot water run on it while still boiling. If you get to use it, then enjoy it fully cuz I love mine! I call it my winter grill....

Brownies

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:34 pm
Sorry if I'm hijacking...don't mean to; but can someone please explain to me what a pre seasoned grill pan is, and what is its purpose? Never heard of this before! Thanks.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:50 pm
Grill pans are made with ridges designed to emulate a real grill. It makes delicious grilled chicken, veggies, fish, flatbreads, hamburgers, etc from your stove top. However, many come pre-seasoned as to be non-stick, greased with whatever fatty substance the company chooses. Hence, the kashrus issue.

BTW, I got the following grill pan and love it...not pre-seasoned:
Farberware Square Grill Pan

manyhats

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:17 pm
The verdict is in. I spoke to Rabbi Schecter who said the grill pan needs to go thru the self-clean cycle of the oven. I don't know if the pan can withstand this heat. If no, I will return it and - possibly-
try to get an unseasoned pan.

granolamom

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:39 pm
manyhats wrote:
The verdict is in. I spoke to Rabbi Schecter who said the grill pan needs to go thru the self-clean cycle of the oven. I don't know if the pan can withstand this heat. If no, I will return it and - possibly-
try to get an unseasoned pan.

I've put mine through a self clean cycle, its fine. it comes out a slightly different color, but it will darken again after you season it and with use.

Miri1

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 11:22 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Grill pans are made with ridges designed to emulate a real grill. It makes delicious grilled chicken, veggies, fish, flatbreads, hamburgers, etc from your stove top. However, many come pre-seasoned as to be non-stick, greased with whatever fatty substance the company chooses. Hence, the kashrus issue.

BTW, I got the following grill pan and love it...not pre-seasoned:
Farberware Square Grill Pan

Pre seasoning is generally used for cast iron, to prevent rust, and create a good non stick surface. I've been looking for a long time for cast iron that isn't preseasoned, I haven't found anything satisfactory.
I was also told to do libun for a preseasoned item.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen