Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tizmoret Shoshana arts camp

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 7:32 pm
Anyone who has sent a DD there? I would lke to find out more -- please post or pm me. TIA!

boysrus

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 9:29 pm
is that teh one in the baltimore area? my neighbor sent her daughter tehre and she loved it. she is not your typical giggly teenage girl, she is more serious, very artsy, loves to write...

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 7:10 pm
My daughter's going back for her third year. Do you have specific questions?

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 9:43 am
I'm thinking of sending my daughter here. I don't even know if they are still accepting new campers. I tried to contact the camp through the website, but didn't get a response. I have some questions before I pursue it further.

1. Does anyone know the location? (website has 2 separate ones).

2. From what types of schools do the girls come from? What about homeschoolers (we are hsing)?

3. Which type of art are the girls generally into: music, drama, fine arts, or a mix?

4. Is this a good camp for girls who are not the typical camper type?

5. Do the girls have counselors with them or is it just the art teachers?

6. Is there a non-sleepover option? (I saw this on a blog from a few years ago, but not sure if it's still relevant.

anything else you want to add would be great Smile

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:07 am
Hello. I'm the another above. This year camp is based at camp shoshanim. It's the first year so I know nothing about that. In the past it was near Baltimore so there were day campers but I don't know that that's possible now.

There are some spots left. I heard from the director today. His name is Mark Singer and you can definitely call his cell. I also have his email if that doesn't work.

They have all types of girls. Three of dd's friends from there are homeschooled. It's very much a place for girls who may be a bit off the beaten path, or who take the opportunity to just revel in being creative and intense and silly for the summer, within a forum framework. Girls are interested in all the areas mentioned, and there is some flexibility to change what you focus on when you get there.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:08 am
Oh, and yes, there are counselors. But at least in the past, it's not the typical "she's my counselor" set up. They all did a lot of things. But with bunkhouses this year it may be different.

syrima

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:12 am
DD went to Tzmoret Shoshana for the past 2 summers and loved it. In a nutshell, it is a camp which is unusual in a few ways:

- it is a shorter session (was only 2 weeks when Chava went) even though the price is the same as other 4 week camps

- it runs out of retreat centers (in Baltimore and then last year in Pennsylvania) so it is less outdoorsy and roughing it than other camps (last year they even provided linens!)

- The camp consists of a very mixed bag of girls from BY to day school to some public school - but they all follow a Sternberg-like dress code

- The camp is small and there are no bunks - instead you hang out with whoever is also in your major or minor, so girls ages 11-18 can interact

- the staff are all very professional and frum- some come in from Israel- and demand a lot of their students but also keep it fun

- they have a big performance at the end of 2 weeks, the singing part is for women only, the drama, music and poetry readings are for everyone. Parents can attend (we never did)

- They are nut free and vey allergy sensitive. Their cook can prepare any special diet your kid needs. They also administer medication.

It was a great experience for DD bc she had not enjoyed a regular 4 week BY camp previously, but was willing to try this 2 week idea. She connected with her counselors/ teachers very well, and made a lot of friends who were artsy and intellectual and fun. It made her more confident of her abilities and helped her to deal with the fact that most kids in her class at BY were sweet and all but just not quite like her. They also did do sports, hikes, swimming and shiur, but the main thing was working on her writing, some of which was published in a small journal at the end.

Dr. Singer and his wife run this camp with a lot of sechel. They think up themes which infuse spirituality into the creativity. it is not about "look what I can do" but rather "let us all use and develop our Divine gifts". They do not compromise on tzniyut and kol isha, but it is a tolerant atmosphere. The kids can go on supervised email at certain times, however no e-devices or MP3s are allowed.

DD still emails some of the girls from camp, and I remember how she literally came back GLOWING!

I would definitely recommend it.

http://www.tizmoretshoshana.org/

imasinger

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:15 am
After due research, I am sending my DD. She is excited.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:02 am
now that we can listen to music, you can watch the official Tizmoret Shoshana video here:
Tizmoret

Soul on fire

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 5:19 pm
I wish I known about this sooner. I think it would be great for my anti-camp Rolling Eyes daughter.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:13 am
FrumMamaPA, you can still send her, I just spoke to them yesterday and they still have a few openings!

greenfire

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:15 am
sounds like a nice creative fun place ...

Soul on fire

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:25 am
I would love to but we dont have the finances now. I would have needed to save for it. Maybe next year though.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 10:02 am
My daughter is going here for the first time this year, and hasn't been to any other camps either. The "what to bring list" wasn't very specific. Does anyone have suggestions of types/amounts of clothing and other things to bring that would be helpful that we might not think about. Thanks!

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:47 pm
Bumping this- since it is a bit dated. I have a student interested, would you still give it the same rave reviews?

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:01 pm
I can’t give any reviews but my sister worked there for the past bunch of years in the administration, if you have questions for her you can PM me

SomeoneNew

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:24 pm
eema1 wrote:
Bumping this- since it is a bit dated. I have a student interested, would you still give it the same rave reviews?

YES! Feel free to message me if you have questions. My daughters have gone for the past couple of years and literally count down the days until the next year's session begins.

A_Mother_First

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 9:07 am
I emailed them expressing interest, as well as left a voicemail about two weeks ago, and have not heard back. My daughter is very musical and she does not like the more typical sleep away camps. I think she would really enjoy this camp but I have been unable to get in touch with them. Any thoughts?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children