Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What % of your family classmates neighbors or other work
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:22 am
I'm curious how many girls remain in the work force.
How many women are raising a family and working?
How many years did you work past school?
Did your mother go back to work when all her children married or left the house?

I'm asking because I was reading the book MomShift and it got me thinking about the Jewish world

I'll start

My mother works
Three out of nine siblings work
Five out of fifteen of my husbands siblings work
Three of my twenty seven classmates work
Very few neighbors work

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:44 am
My mother works. She worked when we were growing up, but was home with us until we all started school.

My classmates mostly work. I don't keep up with most of them, but last I checked most were working, either part-time, 3/4 time, or full time.

My neighbors mostly work part-time (PT, OT, ST, special ed, running a playgroup....).

I work part-time (just a few hours a day).

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 1:12 am
I work.
Another one of my older sisters work.
Four of my sisters in law work.
Most of my neighbors work.
Most of my classmates don't work.
My mother works.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 2:10 am
When I finished college, or even during college, I worked. I only have not worked for three years after my daughter was born to be home with her. Other than that, ever since I was 19 or 20 (I am 34) I have worked.
My mother never "went back to work". She always worked when I was younger. She worked until retirement, full time.
None of my siblings work (one is home with children, one is in uni and one is in sem)
My husband and both of his siblings work
My high school classmate? I have no idea. I am in touch with maybe 2 but I would assume that the majority of the class, 20 girls, work.
My neighborhood - I would say a good half work full time, another half work part time or from home and some are at home mothers, not the majority at all (in israel, its not done so much, being a SAHM)

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 2:22 am
Are you only talking about women? Because you mentioned 15 siblings, and I'll assume they weren't all girls. Only 5 of them are working?
Most people I know work. My mother always, always worked. I've always worked, although some years part time. My classmates in North America - not in touch with many of them, but from what I see the majority do work, and many in very prestigious jobs (doctor, lawyer, etc). I only know of one SAHM.

All the women in my family work (sisters, SILs, etc). Mostly in Israel. Many part time or flexible, mother-friendly jobs. Many took off 6 months after the birth of a baby though, some even a year (not after every baby though, if they have large families).

cinnamon

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 2:24 am
My mother worked part time when we were growing up.
One sister worked full time for ten years after getting married then stopped working for seven years and now started working again almost full time.
My other sister worked for a few years the stopped. She is not working now and has no plans of getting a job.
Out of my high-school class probably 70% are working either part time or full time.
Out of my collage class 90% are working full time 5% part time, a few are looking for a job and only two are not working out of choice.
only two of my neighbors don't work.
I work full time.

baskrox

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 1:12 pm
I work and have a home business
My mother works 2 jobs
3/4 sisters work, the fourth is home, not by choice
4 sisters in law work, 1 is home in a small out-of-town community
11/12 neighbors work

Who can afford not to work? no one I know...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 4:41 pm
Yes
Talking about only woman
fifteen siblings all married - 5 women work

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 5:49 pm
My mother is of a generation where women quit working either upon marriage or upon pregnancy. There was no concept of working mothers in most offices so she gave up working when she was pregnant with me (the oldest child). She really resented that as we were growing up and made sure my sister and I would pursue whatever career we choose. Both my sister and I work full time, 75% of my relatives work including a sIL in the US who heads one of prestigeous local charity. No clue about high school classmates, I assume about 40% of colllege classmates and 80% of grad school classmates. I was a clear minority working F/T in my previous neighbourhood which made my social life difficult but now we live in an area where working mothers are more common and accepted.

windowsill

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 6:08 pm
only 3 of my classmates work
Only 1 other sister works (out of 6)
and only 3 neighbours work.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 6:57 pm
all my siblings work as well as my sib in laws. both mother and mil work. I was just reading the cc debt forum and the no money forum, I think we have a solution= women should work and contribute financially to the household. Whether it be full time or part time money isnt growing on trees and generally speaking just the husbands income is not enough to pay the bills.

MMCH

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:21 pm
my mother started a business after I (the youngest was born)
I am temporarily at home with my baby (until I figure my life out) but worked all through out college and really up until last year (im 25) after my 2nd baby was born.
both my sisters, and sisters in law all work.
I would say like 95% of my high school classmates work
about 100% of my neighbors work, (live right near a yeshiva, where all the men are learning.)

SS6099

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:49 pm
I feel like everyone I know works either part time or not at all. This includes most of my sisters and sisters-in-law, all except for ONE who works full time (and me of course).
Can't complain though since I BH have a good job (and so does DH).

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:08 pm
I'm the only one in my class still working full time. 3 of my neighbors work. 2 part time and 1 other full time.
My mom never worked (for $$$)
My sisters don't.
Most of my friends don't.
And. They always wonder y I don't have time for them. It's in explainable. You have to be in a working moms shoe to able to understand it, especially when ur kids r still tiny.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:51 pm
My mom worked
I work
My married dds work

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:26 am
I can't think of one woman in my family who didn't work at least part-time throughout marriage and family-building, except my mil who taught school in the 1950s and was forced to quit when she became pregnant. Maybe one or two of my mother's cousins may have been SAHMs but most worked at least P/T and many worked F/T. So far no one in my generation or the next has NOT been employed F/T.

Those former classmates with whom I am still in contact are for the most part employed fulltime, barring a few who were forced into early retirement, either by their employers' downsizing or by poor health.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:16 am
I would estimate at least 85% of the women I know work. Most work full time.

Out of curiosity, how do all the SAHM/part time workers pay the bills? We don't live extravagantly at all, but we could not pay our basic expenses on one salary.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 6:52 pm
I'm the youngest- my mother went back to work when I started school.
Almost all my classmates work. I work in a preschool- almost all of the kids' mothers work.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 7:19 am
Curious....those of you who say that most of the women around you don't work, where do you live? What kind of community, which country? I'm really very curious.

lfab

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 9:13 am
I work full time
Growing up my mother worked full time (although now she doesn't)
All of mine and my husband's married sisters work as well as my SIL.
Don't know about my former classmates as I have only kept up with 2 or 3.
Most of the women in my community work at least part time but most full time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics