Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO pediatric dentist in NJ who can sedate

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 2:57 pm
I may have posted about this before, I don't remember. My 8 and a half year old daughter has not received any legitimate dental care yet,.because she becomes so hysterical that she doesn't even let them count her teeth or take x-rays. We have taken her to several dentists and they all refuse to deal with her.
We need a dentist who takes Jerseycare/ United Healthcare Community Plan, who is willing to sedate my daughter. That's the only way this kid will ever get dental care.
Does anybody know of such a dentist? We live in Lakewood but we are willing to travel to any dentist who will take our insurance.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:00 pm
I mean this in a very respectable manner. It's hard to find decent dentists who sedate. Have you consulted with a therapist about how to handle this the best way emotionally? You may be able to help your daughter go on her own, even without her going to therapy. There are techniques and ways of speaking to a child to help them feel safer.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
I mean this in a very respectable manner. It's hard to find decent dentists who sedate. Have you consulted with a therapist about how to handle this the best way emotionally? You may be able to help your daughter go on her own, even without her going to therapy. There are techniques and ways of speaking to a child to help them feel safer.

If there is an alternative method I would love to know about it. I am NOT an advocate of medicating children unnecessarily but I just don't know what else to do. She's not great about brushing either and her teeth really look gross.
If anyone can guide me to a dentist who will sedate, OR to a child therapist who can help her with this phobia, I'm all ears.

egam

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:14 pm
When I was researching it for my DS about 10 years ago, I was told that the only place that had it was UMDNJ dental clinic. We didn't go there at the end so I don't have any more information.

SingALong

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 4:10 pm
Try Kidzdent in old bridge 732-679-2323. I don't know if they sedate but my daughter behaved like yours and was impossible to treat. The staff there was great with handling her, cleaned and filled 4 deeply rotted teeth. They had to use a straight jacket...don't know how you feel about that. Don't know if they take ur insurance but you can ask them if they'll do paperwork for you to submit claim to insurance, they did that for me. I do need to pay out of pocket whatever insurance doesn't cover

melalyse

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 4:17 pm
My 8 yr old had dental work done under sedation in Montefiore. We had all of the same issues as your daughter - cleaning and x-rays done under sedation

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 6:19 pm
I live in Lakewood and use Lakewood Pediatric Dental. It is an office in Seagull Square. On rt. 9-right past charming way. They take Jersey Care. They are very good with kids and use laughing gas to calm and numb them. One of my kids was really giving them a hard time and needed tons of work. The dentist from the office did everything under general anesthesia in Jersey Shore hospital. It was a very pleasant experience, and the dentist was able to do everything at once. My son doesn't remember anything about it-other than he got slush and a coloring book from the nurses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics