Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please help me put my kids to sleep

hello123

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:00 pm
I desperately need some advice. I get my kids ready for bed ie: bath pjs books drink shema small light and music kisses and good night. Then right when I leave their room they start talking, laughing playing jumping on their beds off their beds ect. Only if me or my husband goes in and yells at them do they listen. I feel like we give them many warnings and they don't care. What can I do? Please advise!!! I dont want to yell at them. They are 3 and 5

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:06 pm
I have the same issue with my 3.5 and 2-year-olds. They are up now talking and laughing in their bed and crib. I'm hoping someone gives you some good advice!

ima_dina084

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:09 pm
My kids are the same ages as yours and share a room . I've tried many things , the only method that works was sitting in thier room until they are both asleep. This works on an emotional level because they're not scared, they feel secure by me being there.
And on a practical level I have much more control before any misbehavior esscalades. Example "theres no talking past bedtime!" As soon as they start saying anything.
If I see that they aren't listening I can take away the books I allowed them to have in thier bed.
But now that it's our routine they behave. They look at books quietly untill they sleep. I get some reading done and we are all calm .

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:45 pm
it helps to give them different bedtimes. put one to bed. when that one's asleep, put the other to bed.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:04 pm
mine are 3 and just 6. I put the 6 year old in my bed to start. As soon as the 3 year old falls asleep (which is pretty quick when its quiet), the older one goes back.

momaleh

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:19 am
I put mine to sleep at different times as well. When necessary, I will put one in my bed and relocate her later as another poster offered. a third choice, which I've done in the past, is to put them in bed 1/2 hour earlier than their bed time and let them talk.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:26 am
A few thoughts. Putting a 5- and 3-yr-old to sleep in the same room at the same time sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Children at those ages have different sleep needs, so it's not likely that they're both tired and ready for sleep at the same time. I would separate them if possible, and also adjust their bedtimes, respectively, so that you put each of them to bed when they look and feel like they are winding down and don't have any more jump left in them. But be careful not to miss that window; overtired is not good either.

willow

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:45 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:
My kids are the same ages as yours and share a room . I've tried many things , the only method that works was sitting in thier room until they are both asleep. This works on an emotional level because they're not scared, they feel secure by me being there.
And on a practical level I have much more control before any misbehavior esscalades. Example "theres no talking past bedtime!" As soon as they start saying anything.
If I see that they aren't listening I can take away the books I allowed them to have in thier bed.
But now that it's our routine they behave. They look at books quietly untill they sleep. I get some reading done and we are all calm .

I agree if is the best emotionally for you to stay till they fall asleep. If that isn't possible (believe me I know 100 reasons it isn't) maybe a tape would work. My kids find that very soothing

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:04 pm
please change this title ... putting anyone to sleep has a euthanizing effect on my brain
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics