Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How is it possible to...

cool_mama

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:19 pm
to have a spotless clean and tidy house, if there is not enough room to put everythin away. all my closets in the house have ONE shelf and I just don't have enough place to put everything away neatly and I have way to much kitchen stuff and to little kitchen cabinets.

really how can one keep a house clean and tidy like that?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:21 pm
you either throw out stuff or install more shelves.

cool_mama

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:27 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
you either throw out stuff or install more shelves.

im not planning in investing in this apartment since its just a rental

Simy

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:28 pm
Agree with the above. Get rid of clutter.Keep only what u need. Install shelves or buy extra cabinets or drawers to organize your stuff.

rising hero

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:34 pm
cool_mama wrote:
im not planning in investing in this apartment since its just a rental

It doesn't cost much to put in shelves. If you're not planning to move anytime soon, I think its worth it!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:07 pm
or find other storage options - things u can take with u when u move. The container store is a good place to get ideas.

chanee

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:12 pm
would you consider renting a storage space?

sky

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:14 pm
Take advantage of space under the beds.
buy shelving units or cabinets that you can take with you when you move, Or just install more shelves in your existing cabinets.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:04 am
cool_mama wrote:
to have a spotless clean and tidy house, if there is not enough room to put everythin away.

Get rid of the excess stuff.

cool_mama wrote:
all my closets in the house have ONE shelf

Build more shelves or have someone build for you. Boards supported by bricks, milk crates laid on their sides, wire shelving units that you buy, or regular shelves supported by brackets from a hardware store will all do just fine.
cool_mama wrote:
I have way to much kitchen stuff

If you're like most people, you have way too much everything. Get rid of the "way too much" part. How many pairs of shoes do you really need?

cool_mama wrote:
and to little kitchen cabinets.
Getting rid of the excess will free up room in the cabinets

cool_mama wrote:
really how can one keep a house clean and tidy like that?

Don't confuse "clean" with "tidy", though both are harder to achieve when you have too much stuff. You keep stuff clean by cleaning it and keeping it covered when not in use.

Stuff expands to fill the space allotted. If you had double the space you;d have double the stuff. If you;re like most of us, you use only 20% of your stuff 80% of the time, and you could live quite well without the other 80% of your possessions. An item you use one day a year is an item you can live better without.

Now if that "stuff" has serious monetary value--I mean SERIOUS value, the kind that should be insured-- and you're hanging on to it because you will be getting a bigger place in the very near future--consider renting a storage unit. But think carefully: if you pay $50/mo for the unit for three years, the rental will cost you $1800. For stuff worth $10,000 it's worth it, maybe. Not for stuff worth $2500. Unless you have a dc in shidduchim right now, don't save things for them "when they get married". Naturally I don't mean your grandmother's silver leichter and your father's kiddush cup, but your grandmother's Pesach cookware? Not so much.

If the stuff has sentimental value, take pictures of it and then give it away or sell it. Or keep ONE item and give the rest away. You don't really need Tanta Yachne's entire 125-piece china service if you don't use it. Keep the sugar bowl as a memento, sell the rest, and give maaser to your fave tzedaka in Tanta Yachne's memory.

Have possessions to serve the life you're living now, not the life you hope to live years down the road.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics