Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do they start needing separate Shabbos shoes? Sneakers?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:39 pm
DD is about 3 1/2. Until now I bought her neutral shoes that were nice enough for Shabbos, not too dressy for weekday, and comfortable for running around - and those were her shoes. One pair, all the time. Slippers or barefoot at home. At what age/stage do you start getting separate shoes for Shabbos/occasions? What about sneakers separate from more formal shoes? She definitely needs new shoes for Pesach, I imagine she will stay the same size until around or at least Rosh Hashana time. I can't imagine buying 3 pairs for one half a year (shabbos, weekday, sneakers?) I could have her wear nicer shoes only for formal wear and sneakers for school and play, but I'd rather put the higher quality into the ones she'll be wearing the majority of the time - I'm not going to buy her $80 well-fitted shoes so she can wear them once a week and spend the rest of the time in dinky sneakers.

Help me out here please, I have been an adult too long and have no idea what children wear on their feet. Now I have to outfit a child. Please educate me. Bear in mind that we 1) don't have money to throw into extra shoes, 2) don't live in a place with rigid fashion standards (thank G-d!)

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:42 pm
What color tights does your daughter wear on Shabbos?
Will she be attending any simchas where she will need Shabbos shoes?

chatouli

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:45 pm
My DS is 4 and I just bought him his first Shabbos shoes. He's been wearing a nice pair of sneakers for everything all winter (except in the snow, obviously he has boots too). My DH felt that he is too young to need real Shabbos shoes and that it's a waste of money, but I felt that this year he should have something nicer, so I just bought for Yom Tov.

Unfortunately that means he will have sneakers, sandals, and Shabbos shoes, plus Crocs for camp for when they swim. It seems like too many pairs of shoes for such a young child, but at least I got his Shabbos shoes on myhabit for $45 and I always buy sneakers on sale too.

ETA for a girl, I would buy a pair of nicer Shabbos shoes and a pair of sneakers that she can wear every day. I've seen sneakers at Stride Rite that are well made and cute enough for every day for a little girl. I would not have two separate pairs of weekday shoes/sneakers.

Last edited by chatouli on Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:53 pm
Color tights? Whatever we have that doesn't clash with what she's wearing, I guess. Most often white.

Not many simchas. Shabbos once a week, yomtov few times a year.

I'm thinking when the time comes I'd put money on something comfortable for everyday and then get something cheaper (online, not fitted, cheaper brand) for Shabbos which happens less. But I'm more confused about summer, when whatever they're wearing every day is going to get dragged through the dirt all the time. Do you get garbage because that's how it's going to be treated, or expensive shoes because they will be on their feet constantly? Avd if you go for sneakers, at 3 1/2 years old does that mean you need Shabbos shoes too? Lol I feel so clueless, never gave a moment of thought to these little life details in the past. Imagine, in a couple of short years she'll be old enough to buy herself five pairs a season on my credit card while convincing me it's necessary...

busydev

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:59 pm
im trying to decide myself.
ds is 2.5 and really I wouldnt really be thinking of shabbos shoes at all. ,ast summer he had sneakers that he wore all week. last winter and this winter he had leather stride rite shoes (sneakerish) he wore everyday.
thing is my bro is getting married in a couple months, so thinking he wont be able to wear sneakers then... and if im getting shabbos shoes then, I may as well get them for pesach and then save them till june.and based on the way his feet have grown so far good chance he will still fit in them come yomim noraim.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:04 am
I only get my kids Shabbat shoes if I get a super sale (like $15). They want to run and play. (oldest is 6)

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:38 am
I spend good money on getting DD properly fitted for the sneakers that she wears everyday. Then I buy $10-12 shabbos shoes at Target or Payless.

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:09 am
I recently went to a stride rite outlet and they had last season's shoes on sale - really reasonable. If you're not near one maybe you could go into a local store and figure out the size and then buy online. Also, always search for coupons and sign up for their emails. I would get a pair of sneakers and a pair of Shabbos shoes - yes, the weekday shoes are more important if you have to choose. Forget nicer ones for weekdays - if it's not expected in your area. Summer you'll need either sandals or crocs (Target have their own ones, really cheap) - I find my kids hardly wear sneakers in the summer. Be aware crocs don't give any support. Also, at this age the soles of shoes should still be very flexible.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:21 am
Yeah crocs don't work for my kids at all. But the one who wears shoes wore shoes most of last summer... crocs just in the water play. I don't think there's a Stride Rite store OR outlet in throwing distance from me, which is a shame because I think they could work out for my baby. They are the wrong shape for my bigger kid, though, I tried them by ordering online from Zappos once - none of the styles worked for her. Little one has chubby feet so I can see it maybe. But the whole ordering online and returning and trying on a hundred things on an impatient toddler convinced me that getting properly fitted in the Brooklyn-type stores is worth the more expensive shoes (plus, you get the nicer shoes!)

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:23 am
I think Nordstrom carries stride rite...

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:26 am
but do they fit you well?

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 2:31 am
my son is turning 3, I bought him a nice pair of off white loafers in the hoisery store for $20. Last year he got an off white pair of shoes in August for my sister's wedding and only because it was real cheap so we got all the kids matching shoes.
I'm trying to remember when my daughter got her first pair of shabbos shoes, can't seem to but I know some seasons I have skipped it if her weekday shoes where simple black/navy type. I try to buy a good pair of fitted shoes per season and then I get something from childrens place or payless for 15 or under if I can manage that for shabbos, need that especially in the summer if all she has is sneakers or sandals.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:23 am
My kids get shabbos shoes when they learn to walk. (15 months) they wore trumpettes for $30 until they didnt fit. After that, I bought them venettinis for $70-$75. For weekday, I usually buy a cheap converse sneaker. This has always worked for me.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:38 am
I got my toddler regular winter shoes and a pair of shabbos shoes at Gap(20 bucks). She wore it every shabbos. For the spring I got her regular weekday cute shows and for shabbos shoes Target($15) and they look nice. My girls got shabbos shoes at 6pm for $35 bucks. They got gold which is pretty and summery. They will all get sneakers after lag baomer probably.

imaima

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:46 am
Depending on the season, my kids need weekday shoes/sandals/boots, slippers, rain boots, sneakers at the same time. I don't really invest in shabbes shoes. I try my best to get them cheaper, for example in h&m. They don't have to be leather, as long as they look festive.

TzipporahN

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 9:39 am
TzipporahN wrote:
I think Nordstrom carries stride rite...

I believe they do fit them.

If you're not too far from Lakewood, Jersey Shores Outlets north of there has a really good SR outlet. There may be others in the tri state area.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 9:46 am
my 7 yr old son wears good quality sneakers every day, shabbos included. I gave up on shabbos shoes, they wear out and he ends up not finding them shabbos morning anyway...

my 6 yr old daughter has a pair of shabbos shoes. she's been wearing shabbos shoes for a couple of years. however, they are CHEAP. this dd has flat feet and wears orthotics on a daily basis (with sneakers) and the podiatrist said it is fine for her to go without them once a week. I wouldn't worry about buying super expensive shoes for once a week.

my 2 yr old has shabbos shoes, but they were a gift. her regular shoes would be fine for shabbos, and she often wears those on shabbos if her shabbos shoes are "hiding" somewhere.

basically, I'm not a fan of buying shabbos shoes until the kid is old enough to ask for them. and I don't go for spending lots of moolah on them.

my 6 yr old's shabbos shoes are glittery mary janes from amazing savings. they cost $5. I bought them in two sizes. she loves them. go look in cheap stores Smile

zigi

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 10:24 am
imaima wrote:
Depending on the season, my kids need weekday shoes/sandals/boots, slippers, rain boots, sneakers at the same time. I don't really invest in shabbes shoes. I try my best to get them cheaper, for example in h&m. They don't have to be leather, as long as they look festive.

my kids do need a lot of shoes, my boys are very hard on shoes they don't have shabbos shoes. but they do have sandals and boots. my dd has shabbos shoes. she used to not go to shul so I got her payless or childrens place shabbos shoes. if your child walks a lot it might be worth to spend a bit more on shabbos shoes so they don't get worn out too fast.

in the summer my kids love jumping in puddles to they have waterproof sandals or shoes.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 10:32 am
Until they start school only one pair of nice shoes. Once they start school (about age 5) I also get shabbos shoes.
I don't want to get really cheapy shabbos shoes like from payless because they walk a lot. My 2.5 year old already walks 15 minutes (in adult time, it takes her much longer) each way to a kiddush on shabbos and we don't have an eruv. I don't want to get her shoes that are flat and are made mainly to be cute, but don't have a really good fit. I'd rather her wear her good regular shoes and be more comfortable. Dress shoes are almost never as comfy as regular shoes.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 10:55 am
seeker wrote:
Yeah crocs don't work for my kids at all. But the one who wears shoes wore shoes most of last summer... crocs just in the water play. I don't think there's a Stride Rite store OR outlet in throwing distance from me, which is a shame because I think they could work out for my baby. They are the wrong shape for my bigger kid, though, I tried them by ordering online from Zappos once - none of the styles worked for her. Little one has chubby feet so I can see it maybe. But the whole ordering online and returning and trying on a hundred things on an impatient toddler convinced me that getting properly fitted in the Brooklyn-type stores is worth the more expensive shoes (plus, you get the nicer shoes!)

Stride Right is a GREAT first shoe if the fit is right!!!!!!

I asked the tights color because if she wears white tights you can get a nice, plain pair of white sweet sneakers for Shabbos. I'm not saying that this is my personal style, but I know a lot of people who do it and it's great. The kids can play outside in the summer with them without dirtying nice, expensive Shabbos shoes. If she is young enough to not have any simchas, you can get by with this....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics