Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do they start needing separate Shabbos shoes? Sneakers?
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:07 am
I guess the dilemma here is that sneaker season hasn't really started yet in the frum stores (which is the only place I seem to find the fit and quality my narrow-footed 3y/o needs) while her all-purpose shoes from Rosh Hashana time are falling apart and getting small, she definitely needs something new before Pesach but if I get something nice they will get trashed over the summer... there are still a few months left until summer, maybe I should get her nice all-purpose shoes again and then get sneakers when they come into season and use the all-purpose shoes for Shabbos and hopefully also when she goes back to school in the Fall. Still feels too much like buying 2 full-priced pairs of shoes in one season but what can I do, she can't go barefoot or in bad shoes for 2 months until sneaker time?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:11 am
dd I also 3.5 and I bought her shabbos shoes since the age of 2.5 but I didn't spend a lot of money. at this age they still need good shoes (even for shabbos) so I buy for weekday a very good fitted shoes that cost me $70 or $80 but for shabbos I go to the stores that have a sale from last year seasons. they really have good deals! I got now a good pair for $29 from last years season

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:14 am
Where are these last year's deals? Every time I have ever been in a shoe store I always ask them for old shoes at a discount and they always say they don't have any.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:18 am
I must confess to loving kids nicely dressed on shabbos & yom tov ... they always had shabbos shoes ... but then again - once upon a time I could afford it ... then I started buying things on clearance in marshall's or closeout stores - same leather niceties - but $15 or $30 - never more

I really don't know what I would do if I were in that stage right now ... we just don't buy anything anymore & well they are surviving of their own accord

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:46 pm
You can get cute mary janes that have rubber soles and are flexible to use for all occasions.

My kids have a pair of Shabbos shoes (my 2 yo has hand me downs from a neighbor, my 4 yo from her sister since the ones I got her Sukkos time for my sister's chassuna don't fit -- I don't mind Shabbos shoes hand me downs for the little time they use them), a pair of weekday shoes (Naturino, Geox, Stride Rite on sale from amazon.com -- only the boys have sneakers, the girls wear mary jane types), and a pair of crocs (or knockoffs)....

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:49 pm
Can you find a little mom-and-pop shoe store in a non-frum neighborhood?

My mother used to take us to a little store owned by an Italian couple. We got great-fitting shoes without paying the inflated prices at frum stores.

Jewishmofm

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 6:13 pm
I get shabbos shoes when they go to shul regularly. right now only DS11 has. DD9 has an expensive pair of nice-enough school shoes and a pair of cheap sneaks for the off day. DS7 has nice-enough cheap shoes (he goes through shoes like water), and the little ones the same as DS7. What do my neighbors think of that? I haven't the faintest. If they offer to support a shoe habit, I might care.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics