Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Property survey disagreement

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:59 pm
We are getting some trees removed from the side of our property that abuts the street. I think we should get a survey to make sure the trees are really ours and not municipalities. My husband thinks it is obvious the trees are ours and doesnt want to spend the money (who knew getting a survey wasnt cheap?)

After the trees are removed we might get a fence but might not. If we do we definitely need to know where our property line is. But I am pretty sure we are going to replant "privacy trees" instead which does not require any permit or anything. As long as they are on our property.

I would rather not spend the money if we dont have to but I think its better to be safe then sorry.

Opinions?

(Amother because these are specific identifying details and I dont want my screen name known)

scrltfr

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 5:24 am
When you bought the house you probably had a survey done. Check your papers, if you have the title policy or call the title company or your attorney that handled the purchase.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 5:48 am
scrltfr wrote:
When you bought the house you probably had a survey done. Check your papers, if you have the title policy or call the title company or your attorney that handled the purchase.

If you have a mortgage, you definitely have a survey. It should be with your deed.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:15 pm
We have a mortgage plat which really just confirms the house is on said plot. It is not a survey of the boundaries, elevation, structures on the property.

I thought title company would have a copy of a "survey" but they don't. It's just a description of the location of the house based on longitude, latitude, etc.

Apparently terminology of plat, survey and mortgage survey are all incorrectly used terminology.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:22 pm
Call your local municipality

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:24 pm
wouldnt your property end at the sidewalk?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:30 pm
There should be a paragraph on the deed itself with the property boundaries, in funny-ish language, iirc, with angles and directions and distances, etc. Are you looking at your deed?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:35 pm
it's best for a surveyor to put up the property lines - but as people have said there should be one written up for the sale to have gone through

or you can look up on-line property lines - measurements & guesstimate the proximity - there are also guidelines as to how far or close fences are to be from the house which would give some inklings as to where your property line ends

you certainly don't want to be blind-sighted & have to take anything down like a fence - or get a fine for cutting down city trees

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:47 pm
Already talked to the municipality and all they have is a "proposed survey" from 1964 which means it was made before the house was built.

And then I talked to the county and looked up our property online. Any survey made in the last several years would have been online now and I found nothing for our property. Our property has changed hands several times in the last decade so I don't think it has had an official plat of survey ever done.

One would think that there is a standard distance from the road that is allowed for an easement to the municipality so that I could be sure our trees are our trees.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 2:55 pm
Where I live you need to get a premit to put up a fence. (pretty easy to do).

The company we used to put up the fence insisted on a survey and permit, so you may need the survey anyways, we had it from when we bought our house.

We also had rules about where a fence can go. How high, how close to the street, etc. My neighbor lives on a corner and I don't think her fence is allowed to be within 30 feet of the sidewalk. You may want to find that out before you take down some of the trees so you aren't removing trees where you cannot even put up a fence. Its possible that 30 ft is the easement where I live. There should be a standard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics