Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Deleted
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Would you let your child marry child of donor father?
Yes  
 31%  [ 45 ]
No  
 46%  [ 68 ]
No because my son is Cohen  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Depends how child was raised  
 8%  [ 12 ]
If father's whereabouts are known  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 145

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
FS many cases are around like this in the US where families are quiet about their non Jewish background. However there are still many who do find out and are not meshadech with them.
I know that in our chasidish family, we dig back 5,6,7 or more generations.
There are people aware and knowing, and would never allow their children to marry into certain families for all kinds of reasons.
Sephardim are also very makpid to find out the yichus before allowing their kids to marry.
I am not at all shocked, I am sadly sure what you write is true.
OK, very nice, but you need a mistake in one generation ....

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
FS many cases are around like this in the US where families are quiet about their non Jewish background. However there are still many who do find out and are not meshadech with them.
There are people aware and knowing, and would never allow their children to marry into certain families for all kinds of reasons.
Sephardim are also very makpid to find out the yichus before allowing their kids to marry.

I don't know, but I can trace my lineage back a whole bunch of generations (thanks to a family tree), and B"H everything appears to be "yosher and kosher"- all frum as far back as we can trace....

But my family never even considered checking into my husbands lineage before I dated him, nor would I consider checking into the lineage of potential dates for my kids (when that time comes IYH). It's just... its obsessive.... seriously.... in my opinion, anyway.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 5:08 am
Hello? How can you all be so sure of bloodlines? How can you be sure you've checked it's all 100% kosher?
Do you know how many of those Hassidic Jewish grandmothers were raped by Cossacks or the like? Did you check the DNA to make sure the child conceived was not the rapist's?
(Would you turn away a potential shidduch if you DID suspect his great grandmother was raped?)

Kids of such unions are assumed to be the husband's. No one's supposed to know the origin. In fact, often even the mother herself could never be 1000% sure of the origin.
So why are people here appointing themselves Kosher Supervisors of the Jewish Race?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:

MANY Sefardim and chassidim can tell you their great grandparents names, probably, but not more, and ketubot may be all be lost from prewar (pre expulsion if we speak North africa) times. So in theory it could be some are non Jews, and unfortunately such stories are heard.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:02 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Hello? How can you all be so sure of bloodlines? How can you be sure you've checked it's all 100% kosher?
Do you know how many of those Hassidic Jewish grandmothers were raped by Cossacks or the like? Did you check the DNA to make sure the child conceived was not the rapist's?
(Would you turn away a potential shidduch if you DID suspect his great grandmother was raped?)

Kids of such unions are assumed to be the husband's. No one's supposed to know the origin. In fact, often even the mother herself could never be 1000% sure of the origin.
So why are people here appointing themselves Kosher Supervisors of the Jewish Race?

http://www.jogg.info/11/coffman.htm

The oft touted Cohen genetic marker accounts for only 48% of Ashkenazi Cohanim and 58% of Sephardic Cohanim.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:06 pm
MommyZ wrote:
http://www.jogg.info/11/coffman.htm

The oft touted Cohen genetic marker accounts for only 48% of Ashkenazi Cohanim and 58% of Sephardic Cohanim.

A. Among the sample tested.

B. What is the relevance of this?

MommyZ

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:07 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
A. Among the sample tested.

B. What is the relevance of this?

That the genetic marker doesn't prove lack of genetic mixing.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:10 pm
MommyZ wrote:
That the genetic marker doesn't prove lack of genetic mixing.

Did anyone claim otherwise?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:11 pm
gold21 wrote:
I don't know, but I can trace my lineage back a whole bunch of generations (thanks to a family tree), and B"H everything appears to be "yosher and kosher"- all frum as far back as we can trace....

But my family never even considered checking into my husbands lineage before I dated him, nor would I consider checking into the lineage of potential dates for my kids (when that time comes IYH). It's just... its obsessive.... seriously.... in my opinion, anyway.

Pple are like that...you'd be surprised. There is a legend about a certain large chasidish family that the gr8-gr8-gr8-grandmother became pregt when her dh was out of town. Although big rebbes in the past have said that its fine and all the kids are kosher and even blessed the family with wealth and long life, there are still some people today who will not be meshadech with them. Im saying this as a part of this family.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:12 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Did anyone claim otherwise?

Yes. I was responding to a claim in a previous post.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:21 pm
K, I must've missed that post.

suzyq

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 2:07 pm
Raisin wrote:
If the parents consulted a Rav I think I would be fine with it.

I'm not so sure a daughter of a non Jewish sperm donor can't marry a cohen. After all, the non Jewish father was not around the child growing up. She grew up with a Jewish father. I think a girl (daughter of a non Jewish man) adopted before three can also marry a cohen? Am I right?

What FS said is also true. If you want to be guaranteed someones 100% Jewish, only let your kids marry gerim or children of gerim. No questions there. (assuming they converted with reputable Beis din and have been frum ever since)

I voted no because my sons are Cohanim. From what I understand (and there may be different views on this), the father of a woman must be born Jewish in order for a woman to marry a Cohen.

If my sons were not Cohanim, btw, I would have no problem with it. I don't think it makes a difference in the kind of spouse a person will be.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics