Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
My "new" Milano wig disgusts me!
1  2  Next

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:26 pm
I bought 2 wigs at the traveling Milano wig sale yesterday. I realize one of the wigs is used and was sold as new. I had to make 4 repairs in the piece where it was completely severed and reinforce about half a dozen other places where it was falling apart. The worst part is the hair STINKS and is not clean. The sales woman who handed me the piece should have told me it was used.

The first piece is a hat fall with a lattice top made out of velour ribbons. It was so ripped I didn't realize the pattern was a lattice until I started figuring out where the pieces go. I had never purchased one before and thought somehow the pieces tie together.

I don't understand the quality control that would allow something like this to happen.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:30 pm
You didn't realize these problems before you bought? That's really awful

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:34 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You didn't realize these problems before you bought? That's really awful

The place was crowded and disorganized. I didn't even think to do a sniff test. Who would have thought?

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:43 pm
omg! what if you bought someone's old shaitel while they were trying on stuff????

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:44 pm
I'm sorry that happened to you. Generally, these traveling cheap sales are "at your own risk" and I've been advised to only go together with a friend who really knows sheitels. Still, that sounds so bad that the company should offer you a refund or replacement!

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:48 pm
octopus wrote:
omg! what if you bought someone's old shaitel while they were trying on stuff????

LOL I had the salesgirl locate the piece because I saw it on line. Come to think of it, there was no tag on it unlike the other one I bought.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 9:14 pm
How much time did you spend looking at the wigs at all? I guess you learned a pricey lesson....sorry though, bad situation.

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 9:29 pm
MamaBear wrote:
How much time did you spend looking at the wigs at all? I guess you learned a pricey lesson....sorry though, bad situation.

Maybe an hour. The mirrors were crowded with 3 or 4 ladies trying to look at once. There were no privacy screens for taking on and off sheitals either.

black sheep

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:12 pm
I think you should call milano. they are a large enough company that they should be able to afford to replace the wigs for you. you can tell them that it was crowded and hectic and bad lighting.... I would think they would want to try to make you happy, if it means refunding you or replacing the wig or fixing it for free.

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:42 am
black sheep wrote:
I think you should call milano. they are a large enough company that they should be able to afford to replace the wigs for you. you can tell them that it was crowded and hectic and bad lighting.... I would think they would want to try to make you happy, if it means refunding you or replacing the wig or fixing it for free.

I emailed them. I was able to sew the cap. I washed everything this wig touched. I am disgusted.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:40 pm
I'm curious how much it cost. I had trouble with a fall from them, but they took care of it. Can't really complain, just that I don't have the time to go back and forth with aknotty fall. Still didn't even get a chance to pick it up after weeks... wish it was done right from the start.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:42 pm
I meant how for long did you look at the ones you purchased....I guess not an hr, right? I think that's why these sales are so risky. You just don't have the quiet and time necessary to make a good decision. And the sale wigs never seem to have a warranty.

Essentially you bought a ripped wig and didn't notice all the tears, thinking these were somehow intentional. With a little bit of extra time you would have noticed this bizarreness pretty quickly. And you bought a wig so smelly you say it actually stinks. Again, this seems kind of strange. You must have been in a real rush.

Lesson to one and all - take your time when making a purchase that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. And be wary of anything final sale.

hmmmm?

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:59 pm
I really think you should call them. Sounds like you were sold someone's used wig, for sure. I doubt they sold it to you intentionally, knowing it was used. I haven't ever bought from Milano, but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't replace it, although I wish you had called right away and hadn't washed and fixed it already because it might be difficult to prove now.

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:40 pm
hmmmm? wrote:
I really think you should call them. Sounds like you were sold someone's used wig, for sure. I doubt they sold it to you intentionally, knowing it was used. I haven't ever bought from Milano, but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't replace it, although I wish you had called right away and hadn't washed and fixed it already because it might be difficult to prove now.

The woman from the company actually had the nerve to say that she was surprised I didn't notice it before I bought it. It amazed me she is looking to have me share responsibility.

A different woman from the company told me there have been issues with the velvet ribbons that hold the wig to the head. I am guessing the wig was returned by another unsatisfied customer.

I don't sniff my clothes when I purchase them to see if they really are new. There was a thread here by Chica showing how Victorias Secrets passed off returned clothes as new.

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:46 pm
Ashrei wrote:
I'm curious how much it cost. I had trouble with a fall from them, but they took care of it. Can't really complain, just that I don't have the time to go back and forth with aknotty fall. Still didn't even get a chance to pick it up after weeks... wish it was done right from the start.

It cost $250. They want me too travel to Brooklyn to resolve this. I can't be traveling back and forth either.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:51 pm
Squishy wrote:
It cost $250. They want me too travel to Brooklyn to resolve this. I can't be traveling back and forth either.
Be careful. I was once there and a woman from out of town had just traveled for hours to come to brooklyn to resolve an issue and they told her that the person she needs to speak was not in that day and there was no way they could help her and she would have to come back. The woman had spent more than $1500 on her wig and she was not even jewish. She said it wasn't the first trip she had had to take to try to resolve the issue/ It was a horrible chillul hashem.

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:53 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I meant how for long did you look at the ones you purchased....I guess not an hr, right? I think that's why these sales are so risky. You just don't have the quiet and time necessary to make a good decision. And the sale wigs never seem to have a warranty.

Essentially you bought a ripped wig and didn't notice all the tears, thinking these were somehow intentional. With a little bit of extra time you would have noticed this bizarreness pretty quickly. And you bought a wig so smelly you say it actually stinks. Again, this seems kind of strange. You must have been in a real rush.

Lesson to one and all - take your time when making a purchase that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. And be wary of anything final sale.

I never thought to sniff the wig until my sheital macher mentioned the other wig was fresh. I believe someone more knowledgeable would have been able to tell it was used at the sale.

Honestly, I spent less time selecting my $3000 wig than I did these two. I had a knowledgeable sale lady who was able to direct me.

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Be careful. I was once there and a woman from out of town had just traveled for hours to come to brooklyn to resolve an issue and they told her that the person she needs to speak was not in that day and there was no way they could help her and she would have to come back. The woman had spent more than $1500 on her wig and she was not even jewish. She said it wasn't the first trip she had had to take to try to resolve the issue/ It was a horrible chillul hashem.

Are they a Jewish owned company?

pause

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 5:59 pm
Squishy wrote:
I never thought to sniff the wig until my sheital macher mentioned the other wig was fresh. I believe someone more knowledgeable would have been able to tell it was used at the sale.

Honestly, I spent less time selecting my $3000 wig than I did these two. I had a knowledgeable sale lady who was able to direct me.

Well, yeah, that makes sense. When you are willing to spend more, you get service.

There's a reason these wigs are sold so cheaply. They sell cheap wigs for dirt cheap, don't need to take as much time to attend to customers, and sell a bunch at a time. With these sales, it's a real mazel thing. You could do very well there (I know people who've gotten stunning sheitels there which have lasted a number of years) or you could do very badly too...

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 6:02 pm
pause wrote:
Well, yeah, that makes sense. When you are willing to spend more, you get service.

There's a reason these wigs are sold so cheaply. They sell cheap wigs for dirt cheap, don't need to take as much time to attend to customers, and sell a bunch at a time. With these sales, it's a real mazel thing. You could do very well there (I know people who've gotten stunning sheitels there which have lasted a number of years) or you could do very badly too...

What bothers me is that the salesgirl handed me the wig with the ripped ribbons. I don't expect a $250 piece to last, but I expect it to be new.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels