Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you turning over??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

When are you turning over??
Thursday night.  
 28%  [ 42 ]
Motzi Shabbat.  
 27%  [ 41 ]
Sometime on Sunday.  
 21%  [ 32 ]
Wednesday  
 14%  [ 22 ]
Earlier  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 147

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:02 pm
I'm also making Seder for 100+ people- err... umm... that is.... I meant I will be joining a whole lot of other people at my parent's crowded noisy Seder.

However, I am very proud of myself because I am planning to Kasher my sinks and stovetop and cook for Friday night at home. I've never done such a frightful thing before, and I'm feeling very good about my capabilities at the moment- of course, this is before I've actually done the job, but I can still be proud.

I plan to do my Kashering on Sunday because we are having a Chamitzdig Shabbos and inviting my Pesachdig relatives for the meals. I need to wash my dishes after Shabbos and wait 24 hours to Kasher my sinks. But I'll get it done, with the help of my little kids.

Sherri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:05 pm
marina wrote:
I've turned over and back again a few weeks ago. Boruch Hashem, I'm holding by shavuos now and the cheesecakes smell delicious!
Do people do that (minus the cheesecakes)?

sky

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 6:18 pm
Sherri wrote:
Do people do that (minus the cheesecakes)?

I think there is a poster on here that does that. In past years she said she totally turns over after Purim and kashers her kitchen. Stocks her freezer for Pesach and then goes back to chometz until right before Pesach.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 6:11 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I'm also making Seder for 100+ people- err... umm... that is.... I meant I will be joining a whole lot of other people at my parent's crowded noisy Seder.

However, I am very proud of myself because I am planning to Kasher my sinks and stovetop and cook for Friday night at home. I've never done such a frightful thing before, and I'm feeling very good about my capabilities at the moment- of course, this is before I've actually done the job, but I can still be proud.

I plan to do my Kashering on Sunday because we are having a Chamitzdig Shabbos and inviting my Pesachdig relatives for the meals. I need to wash my dishes after Shabbos and wait 24 hours to Kasher my sinks. But I'll get it done, with the help of my little kids.

well ...anything you've got to get done is a job! People who are cooking for large crowds and have to be ready with food to serve by erev pesach certainly have more to do than other who are eating out or only home for a little bit and not having guests. This time of year, everyone is a little overwhelmed with pesach prep no matter what they need to do.

As far as waiting 24 hours .... that's only for hot chometz. You can use your sink for cold chometz not that it's fun to wash dishes in cold water. But use disposable dishes this week so you will only have silverware, the soup pot and chulent pot. If you are using a bag in your chulent pot it wont be too hard to clean. Maybe you can wash the silverware in your bathroom sink without letting anything touch so you can use warm water. Also buy cheap disposable serving dishes for this week. Good luck to all!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:35 am
My father said I could use my sinks for cold water, but no Chametz at all in them during those 24 hours. I guess there are different opinions about it.

mominlkwd

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:10 am
I'm hoping to turn over tomorrow night (tues) I could probably turn over later but I like my schedule of what gets done on what day and there isn't enough time next week (desserts first day, sides 2nd day etc) also I try not to cook anything besides seder stuff on erev Y"T so I am not pressured.

We will serve shabbos on disposable and use a plastic tablecloth which we normally don't and just wrap the whole thing up when finished. no chometz will go into the kitchen and as someone else said if you want seconds you take a new plate.

chani8

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:29 am
It is Thurs evening, and not only am I turned over, but I already baked a chocolate zucchini cake. shock Smile cake Hooray

I'm not bragging here, I'm celebrating! Never, I mean never, has it ever gone so smoothly.

I had lots of help from adult/teen kids this year. They sure grew up a lot since last pesach. B"H.

And this year I'm not suffering from depression. So that helps, too. <teary>

How are YOU doing?? Here to support and cheer you on! Thumbs Up

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:38 am
Yay, Chani8! I'm also doing remarkably well, B"H. I'm all turned over, Shabbos is half made, I have 4 things of sorbet in the freezer, 2 cakes made and one in the oven. I even have time to just chill by the computer! That hasn't happened in a REALLY long time...

Odelyah

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:38 am
chani8 wrote:
It is Thurs evening, and not only am I turned over, but I already baked a chocolate zucchini cake. shock Smile cake Hooray

I'm not bragging here, I'm celebrating! Never, I mean never, has it ever gone so smoothly.

I had lots of help from adult/teen kids this year. They sure grew up a lot since last pesach. B"H.

Go you!! Thumbs Up Over here we're still in transition (stove kashered, fridge and freezers done, some counters and cabinets cleared and cleaned but not yet covered... sink not yet kashered...) but we'll get there, b'ezras Hashem! Hopefully by tonight!!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:40 am
Which is why I better get off imamother now and get back to the kitchen! Bye y'all Smile

Sanguine

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:31 pm
chani8 wrote:

I'm with you Chani except I do my kitchen in 2 parts - oven/fridge and Besari are all Pesach. Today I made 3 potato kugles, 3 brownies, A brocolli kugel and chocolate chip cookies. Tomorrow after lunch I scrub the chalavi shayish and sink and leave them to be kashered Motzei Shabbat. (on Shabbat you really can't eat or touch anything unless I say they can Crying )

I'm always ahead cause
1- I have big kids who help (and I don't have little kids so I can start early) and if the kids don't help at least they disappear for the day
2- I have 3 Peach closets in my kitchen so "turning over" means cleaning, kashering, covering, taping the chometz closets closed and opening the Pesach ones

So to the women having a hard time - someday your kids will grow up and it does get easier Hug

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 2:09 pm
My hachlata this year is not to cook late into the night. That means not starting any cooking projects after about 7 or 8. So far its (kind of) working. Its ten pm and I finally sat down. In my defence it was a hectic day, we had unexpected supper guests. (to give you an idea of how tired I am they bought me flowers - and all I could ungratefully think is that I am too tired to even put them in water)

I turned over on sunday afternoon/monday morning. I've been making cakes, cookies, desserts, soups, kugels and side dishes. I will do most of the cooking for the big seder on sunday and monday, so now I am making food for the other meals.

Still awaiting my meat and chicken order. Rolling Eyes shock I hope and pray it will be there tomorrow as promised.

Thank goodness for one of our shabbos guests who came over and helped me cook the whole day. Smile

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 2:26 pm
Just found out this afternoon that I will be having minor surgery sunday late afternoon..which now changes my schedule. I will turn over sunday morning and keep chometz only on the dining room table and when I get back from the hospital Sunday nite I won't be able to use my hand for a few days so I have to have everything done by the time I go to the hospital.

Ok should be interesting. Don't really have much to do. Will have to boil eggs, potatoes, buy and check lettuce, buy and check celery, grate maror, make charoset, do stovetop, clean out and kasher sinks, cover counters, take out pesachdig stuff, do the big sponja in the kitchen and dining room with bleach, defrost seder from freezer, open and set table, take furniture out of living room and set up second table, kasher bechers...

oy.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 2:31 pm
Oy, FS. Can you get some help? Your kids?

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 2:32 pm
freidasima wrote:
Just found out this afternoon that I will be having minor surgery sunday late afternoon..which now changes my schedule. I will turn over sunday morning and keep chometz only on the dining room table and when I get back from the hospital Sunday nite I won't be able to use my hand for a few days so I have to have everything done by the time I go to the hospital.

Ok should be interesting. Don't really have much to do. Will have to boil eggs, potatoes, buy and check lettuce, buy and check celery, grate maror, make charoset, do stovetop, clean out and kasher sinks, cover counters, take out pesachdig stuff, do the big sponja in the kitchen and dining room with bleach, defrost seder from freezer, open and set table, take furniture out of living room and set up second table, kasher bechers...

oy.

Refuah Sheilamah

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 2:33 pm
Refuah shelaima! I hope it goes smoothly and the recovery is quick.

grace413

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:40 pm
FS, the surgery should go well and you should have a quick refuah shlaima.

Hope your kids can help you out; we already know that your DH will do his best.

Over here we'll be koshering/turning over Motzash. So happy to have my energetic, strong teen DD to help me out.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:11 pm
"Man plans and G-d laughs" (is that a Jewish saying?) Good thing you're not one of these people that leaves everything for the last minute.

Refuah Shleima

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:23 pm
So everything is basically cleaned and done. Need to do the last minute surface cleaning. Was going to turn over Thursday but realized that was silly. It will be easier tomorrow night becaues the dining room table will be cleared to put things on, and then also on Shabbot I have my regular urn and anyway I have to do the plata after. So Motzshash for me IY"H. We're home for Seder but I can cook on Sunday & Monday morning. We'll eat out Sunday night (early to avoid *some* of the crowds).

black sheep

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:30 pm
chani8, recipe please for chocolate zucchini cake?

FS, refuah sheleima.

I am almost completely turned over. everything is cleaned and kashered. tomorrow morning, lining and then grocery shopping. then I can start cooking tomorrow afternoon, yay!
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics