Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you please tell me what matza to eat?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 7:18 pm
...or at least explain to me the difference between machine shmura, 18 minute and the plain old regular Passover matza they sell for super cheap in the supermarkets?

What kind of matza do you buy? And why?

I'm trying to make a decision for my family, but I am terribly uninformed!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
...or at least explain to me the difference between machine shmura, 18 minute and the plain old regular Passover matza they sell for super cheap in the supermarkets?

What kind of matza do you buy? And why?

I'm trying to make a decision for my family, but I am terribly uninformed!
We buy handmade shmura matza. According to our mesorah, that is the safest matza to buy in terms of trying to be as careful as we can to ensure that nothing has turned into chometz during the preparation and baking processes.
Other people have different mesorahs with different opinions.

If that was not available, we would purchase machine shmura (not our first choice because of the possibility of dough getting stuck in the crevices of the machine and turning into chometz).

Next choice would be 18 minute matza.

We consider regular matza problematic.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 7:46 pm
plain old regular matza is just that - nobody is paying attention to details

18 minute square/boxed matza the machines are cleaned every 18 minutes & a new batch is made

shmura square machine matza has the flour watched from the time of harvesting the wheat

& the hand shmura matza is made with flour watched from the time of harvesting made by hand within 18 minutes & with everything cleaned in between batches

that's why you'll have the wide varying price ranges between them all

they are all kosher for passover/pesach

working hard

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:41 pm
WARNING: I saw in a non jewish supermarket today a lot of different types of Matzo on sale. One type was super cheap and many people had picked it up. I looked at the box and was shocked to see that it was NOT kosher for Pesach. It was marked not for passover use. Not all Matzo is OK. Please pay attention to what it says on the box.
As an aside, I pointed it out to the non jewish manager and told him it should be moved out of the passover section. When my DH went later today it had been moved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen