Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tomchei shabbos
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 5:42 pm
What is the requirments to get tomchei shabbos? Does a person literally not able to have any extra money? Or if making shabbos I a litttle stressful due to finances then they should get? I know someone who after all bills has only a few hundred leftover so making a shab is hard but niot impossible. Shes just scared if she has major fixes in her home / car she wont be able to make it. What do you think?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 5:53 pm
your friend sounds like most people I lnow. Most of us struggle. I allways thought that tomchei shabbos is for people that CAN't pay the bills. Their electricity,morgage,grocery... Has not been paid in a long time.
tomche shabbos isn't instead of food stamps. If you are eligible go there first. It is for people that have no money to pay for anything. Tomchei shabbos gives them food to help.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 6:09 pm
No doesnt qualify bc on the books.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 6:12 pm
You should call them and ask, they will let you know who qualifies for it.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
What is the requirments to get tomchei shabbos? Does a person literally not able to have any extra money? Or if making shabbos I a litttle stressful due to finances then they should get? I know someone who after all bills has only a few hundred leftover so making a shab is hard but niot impossible. Shes just scared if she has major fixes in her home / car she wont be able to make it. What do you think?

A few hundred $ can get you very far with foodfor shabbos

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:26 pm
According to your description, your friend has more money than I do. I am considered middle class and wouldn't dream of taking from tomche Shabbos.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
According to your description, your friend has more money than I do. I am considered middle class and wouldn't dream of taking from tomche Shabbos.

I was thinking the same thing.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 7:51 pm
the best way to find out is to call them and ask if you're eligible

however, some people will borrow from a gemach for emergency car fixes & that sort ...

several hundred dollars per week might depend on how many people you are buying food for

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:56 pm
She has like 300-400 extra a month after bills.. (Not weekly) ill tell her to call to see if eligible.

momX4

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
She has like 300-400 extra a month after bills.. (Not weekly) ill tell her to call to see if eligible.

Is this before or after food?
If its after all her bills, I am totally shocked.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:11 pm
She has a few hundred to put aside every month and she wants charity? Banging head

I really hope I'm misunderstanding something. Halevai that all of us were as well off as she is. Yes, lots of us consider that well off.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 11:41 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
She has a few hundred to put aside every month and she wants charity? Banging head

I really hope I'm misunderstanding something. Halevai that all of us were as well off as she is. Yes, lots of us consider that well off.
To me it seems like this person has $300-$400 total to feed her family each month.
OP, please advise.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:46 am
Yes.. After bills its about that.. So it would be used for shab and any unexpected things that arise .. Or even expected things such as new countertop for pesach etc..

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
Yes.. After bills its about that.. So it would be used for shab and any unexpected things that arise .. Or even expected things such as new countertop for pesach etc..

a new countertop for pesach?

If I replaced my cracked countertops now, I wouldn't have money for food for Pesach, so I have lived with them this way 9 years. They leak into my cabinets, but no, they still aren't more important than food.

boysrus

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:52 am
your freind is very fortunate that she has a few hundred dollars left over each mmonth after all her expenses. BH I am very happy with what I have, but I do not ever have anythng over, if anything, my expenses absolutely do not add up on paper.

when extra expenses come up, we either have to scrimp on something, cancel the two hours a week cleaning help even though I am pregnant, not buy newspapers, not buy chicken except for shbabos for a few weeks etc, or put it on the credit card and hope that somehow extra money will come in that month. And by the way, BH we have no credit card debt, we are so careful to always pay it off in full each month.

why would I even think of asking for tzedoka money? if chas veshalom an emergency came up that we could not afford maybe that is the ONLY reason why we would ask for tzedaka

So could you please clarify for us, if your freind has money left over each month instead of being in the red, why would she need tzedaka funds? (and why would my small donations of tzedaka to tomchei shabbos go to your friend when she has more money than me?)

What What Dont know Dont know

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:07 am
I'm just floored. Does she have some sort of mental handicap?

Happy18

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:11 am
I'm a little shocked. When we give tzedaka to organizations like tomchei Shabbos I expect the food to go to people who would literally starve without out its help. NOT to people who are feel that it is appropriate for them to take it so they can save money. I think if most of us accepted tomchei shabbos food we could save a few extra hundred dollars a month. Thats not why this type of tzedaka exists. If your friend takes food from them in order to save money she is stealing from those who actually need it.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:18 am
OP is the norm where I live. If something is available then they look to see how to get it.

Neighborhood fund pays your electric bill once a year if there is a turn off notice. OK I won't pay my bill for a couple of months so I qualify.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:21 am
There have been threads on here lately about how TS doesnt even pick up the phone because they can't take any new cases on. Your friend wants new countertops so she thinks that she might qualify? Tomchai Shabbos is for people who have literally nothing. Not to enable the purchase of new countertops

lfab

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:23 am
Like other posters I'm a little confused. Is that $300-$400 left over after all expenses including food, clothing, toiletries... and that money goes into the bank for unexpected expenses. Or is that money all that's left after set bills like rent/mortgage, utilities... and that money is expected to cover food, clothes and other monthly expenses? Because if it's the former she should absolutely not even think of asking for tomchei Shabbos! I wish we had even $1 extra at the end of the month. Most months I don't even like to compare our income to our expenditures because I'm never sure how we're going to cover our expenses and at this point I would never think to take tomchei Shabbos. We have just learned to be very careful how we shop (sales, coupons...) and when unexpected things come up we just do without in other areas.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics