Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tomchei shabbos
Previous  1  2  3

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 4:47 pm
Doesn't she qualify for some govt assistance, like subsidized insurance?

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 5:05 pm
how does she afford food on a few hundred dollars a month? Never mind shabbos, what does she eat the rest of the week?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 5:28 pm
That sounds really tough. There's no harm in asking on her behalf. If you can't reach tomchei (I heard in bp they're low on funds) try some of the other organizations.

nyer1

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 7:49 pm
honestly, I'm surprised at how many of you ARE surprised. it's not like this is the first time that we have heard of someone taking advantage of the system. there are PLENTY of frum jews walking around finagling ways to get section 8 or food stamps or WIC when they don't need it. why would tomchei shabbos be any different? hate to sound pessimistic, but it's the unspoken truth. not everyone does it, but even one is too many.

nyer1

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 7:49 pm
to clarify, I'm not saying this person IS taking advantage, im saying there are probably plenty of people who DO.

Happy18

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 7:51 pm
nyer1 wrote:
honestly, I'm surprised at how many of you ARE surprised. it's not like this is the first time that we have heard of someone taking advantage of the system. there are PLENTY of frum jews walking around finagling ways to get section 8 or food stamps or WIC when they don't need it. why would tomchei shabbos be any different? hate to sound pessimistic, but it's the unspoken truth. not everyone does it, but even one is too many.

If may be the unspoken truth and reality in some communities, but not one I've ever lived in or would want to be part of.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:11 pm
A lady who I know is milking the system for all she can. She is on all the government programs, gets TS and more. She bragged to me that she spent $600 on clothes for herself and a few of her kids for yontif, then took her younger boys to a gemach.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:23 pm
#1 My very good friend got TS for several years when they literally lived on nothing. Then, out of the blue, she put down 100K for a house and told me she'd been saving since she got married. True story.

#2 My neighbor's brother works for TS here in Lakewood and every year before Pesach she gets cases of food. She's by no means poor, quite comfortable actually, and does not have the brains to keep this information to herself. She actually shared it quite proudly with all the neighbors.

I told dh I'm not giving TS anymore but he won't hear of it.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:35 pm
groisamomma wrote:
#1 My very good friend got TS for several years when they literally lived on nothing. Then, out of the blue, she put down 100K for a house and told me she'd been saving since she got married. True story.

shock

groisamomma wrote:

I don't blame you for not wanting to give

Pineapple

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:38 pm
Raisin wrote:
how does she afford food on a few hundred dollars a month? Never mind shabbos, what does she eat the rest of the week?

Why shouldn't it be enough?

nyer1

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:47 pm
Happy18 wrote:
If may be the unspoken truth and reality in some communities, but not one I've ever lived in or would want to be part of.

couldn't have said it better myself.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:49 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Why shouldn't it be enough?

If she has a large family it can be very tight.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:07 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
If she has a large family it can be very tight.

If you are very careful with what uiu buy/serve it can work even with a lg family

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:15 am
groisamomma wrote:

#2 My neighbor's brother works for TS here in Lakewood and every year before Pesach she gets cases of food. She's by no means poor, quite comfortable actually, and does not have the brains to keep this information to herself. She actually shared it quite proudly with all the neighbors.

(1) that is the person's fault for cheating the system. doesnt make them not legit.
(2) maybe the food was in place of salary? maybe it was expired /perishable and e/o on their list had already gotten their pesach food?

I am not saying there rnt ppl stealing from every tzedakah but I dont think u can blame the organization. there is only so much research they can do.

Think1st

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
What is the requirments to get tomchei shabbos? Does a person literally not able to have any extra money? Or if making shabbos I a litttle stressful due to finances then they should get? I know someone who after all bills has only a few hundred leftover so making a shab is hard but niot impossible. Shes just scared if she has major fixes in her home / car she wont be able to make it. What do you think?

With any charity organization it always pays to have Rav of your shull put in a few words

If 1 org. declines you can try a neighboring community, my kid once delivered a car load to a community 10 miles away, b/c they did not fit local guidelines ( they do not give to homeowners only renters regardless of mortgage situation)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics