Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you have a masters degree or a higher.....
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:44 pm
what motivated you to go for your career?
Out of curiosity, was it your passion, your parents, the schools you went to?

Got into a great discussion with some friends about this, pointing out, that from our high school group, none of us have higher than a bacherlors degree, and majority of us either are teachers, or work in offices, or work from home with little business.

I was thinking how so many great women do such important things (doctors, dentists, lawyers, ) and not that I was told I couldn't do that, but I wasn't even on my radar. I dont think my high school even had a career day...

just curious.
thanks!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 8:57 pm
Probably most of it is due to the culture in which you were raised.

rachelbg

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:09 pm
I knew I wanted growth in my field so I'll be able to contribute to my family. The more qualifications I have, the father I can grow, and the more I can be compensated.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:10 pm
All four of my grandparents (grandmothers and grandfathers) are college educated. One grandfather a dentist, one grandmother a head of a biotechnology lab that developed childhood vaccines, one grandfather a civil engineer and an inventor, and one grandmother a teacher of german language.
My mother and my father are both college educated, both electrical engineers, and both worked and still work full time. I was the best student in class, then my mother encouraged me to go to a special STEM high school. I was the best student in class even there. College was a given for me. I went to an Ivy League school, majored in science. Did great there too, and went straight to graduate school. I applied to a PhD program - they usually in my field (in any science/math field) give you full finanical support, I.e. are free for you. I ended up leaving after masters because I realized that my motivation to get a PhD was "if not me, then who?" - I was number one in my major in my college graduation class, I wanted to keep achieving and learning. But I realized I wasn't excited about my field to the point of sacrifice that getting a PhD entails, and didn't want to do this for the rest of my life - which a narrow specializaiton of a phd pretty much sets you up for. I also wanted to have a life, to have weekends free of study, and to start dating and getting married.

This is your family expectations of you. I also expect nothing less of my kids, both girls and boys. My husband is of the same opinion, he has a PhD and a handful of masters degrees (I am not kidding). My oldest is a girl, she is 10, she is the best student in her class... she wants to be a scientist and a writer on the side. I will encourage her to apply to the best schools and go to the best one she can get into. Education is a value, and it is very important for me, and for my kids, to get the best they can get.

Even though I am a BT born and raised in another country, I think these values don't conflict with Judaism. G-d gave you your head and your talents for a reason, and it would be a shame not to make the best use of your potential.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:11 pm
I am the previous poster. Just want to add that I chose a school for my kids (a Jewish school) that best prepares them for college, where both boys and girls graduates almost en masse go to great colleges.

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:15 pm
I am a Sp. Ed. teacher & got my masters in a program that was of interest to me & was completely paid for. I was newly married & my DH said I could work on a masters as long as someone else paid for it. Thank you Uncle Sam.

I worked on it for 5 years, while I also had my first 3 kids. It was great to go out to classes & have something of higher level thinking to work on & discuss with other adults.

I am the kind of person who relishes intellectual discussions, reading high content materials in fields I am interested in, love writing & working on complex problems.

Pursuing a degree should be something you do because you have an interest & are motivated. Some people also get this kind of satisfaction from their Jewish learning.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 9:20 pm
I agree w/ MBV- I come from a culture where masters is normal. People might end up being SAHM afterwards but they'll have a degree- I have one in OT- though I'm a SAHM. From my highschool class- I have at least classmate who is a doctor who is not yet married, at least one who has a law degree though I think she is currently a SAHM. At least one with a degree in nursing etc...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:03 pm
I have a doctorate and I'm a sahm for now. In my community, college is a given, grad school common for women.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 07 2014, 10:55 pm
My grandparents were emigrants without much schooling. My parents went to college and my mom held duel Masters degrees. My siblings all have advanced degrees. I have three advanced degrees and I am a SAHM.

College was a given for us and my parents encouraged us and pushed us to get our education. I have my children's college and grad schools funded by the time they were 5. They also will not be given a choice. I am fighting an uphill battle against the school system where I live.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:18 am
I got my associates degree in nursing after my second year in Israel because I had nothing o do while I was "waiting to get married." Ended up being single for a while and took some extra classes because I'm ambitious & the hospital I worked in was paying for a good portion of it which I felt was a waste to let go. Next thing I know (after a LOT of hard work!) I had my masters degree in nursing. I enjoy my job and it allows my husband and children and I to live comfortably as my husband doesn't make nearly as much as I do even though he has a masters as well! I don't love the hours but I don't know what I would do without the money I make at my job & I enjoy what I'm doing!

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 2:43 am
I don't know. I did very, very well in school and was accepted into an excellent university, and was encouraged by my professors to continue in my field. I found the material interesting and it piqued my curiosity, so I continued learning. I enjoyed learning, and I applied for and won scholarships and fellowships, so it didn't cost me or my parents anything beyond part of undergraduate tuition.

Also, education was always emphasized in my family and among my peers and role models, so my choices were always supported and encouraged. I guess it just worked out well for me.

vicki

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:02 am
Though neither of my parents graduated college, lack of intelligence and desire to succeed academically were not the reasons. They expected at least college out of their children.
When I received my bachelors the next step seemed to be a masters. It was a natural progression. I got a full time job in computers and I was not yet married and I had plenty of free time so it seemed like a good idea. I also loved learning. I had access to masters levels classes while going for my bachelors and I had my eye on a few of them already. My company paid for the degree.
I also assumed it would pump up my salary over the years and help my resume float to the top and it probably did.

5mom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:24 am
I have a Ph.D. because I loved the subject and love learning.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:56 am
I have a master's degree. I enjoyed getting the education and I enjoy the work. It's not the most lucrative field but we've been able to get by without panic during dh's unemployment.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:12 am
It's a given in my field that you get the highest degree you can. Same for my dh in addition of course to yeshiva learning and rabbinical etc. degrees (or whatever they would be called). No pressure from parents.
My kids - expected to go to college. MA only if you need it professionally. So far two of the five have MAs, the other two are finishing their MAs and the baby is still on his BA. Don't think any will go on for PHd but who knows, in their fields they don't need them. But maybe some day if they want to progress.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:22 am
I went for my masters with the hope of a fulfilling, lucrative career. I have yet to find a job in my field though Smile

eschaya

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:22 am
My family is definitely the primary influence of who I became, and who I am is why I am pursuing my 3rd degree now. Interestingly, my family is not directly pro "degree" but rather pro-lifelong learning. For example, my father (who is an MD after first studying nuclear engineering) continues to take online courses, currently learning electrical engineering and geology... just for learning and knowing's sake. They never tried to convince me to get advanced degrees, rather to be a person who always needs to learn, grow, and become the best in whatever I do.
I went to an OOT BY that did not necessarily encourage college, though many girls in my class went on to have masters degrees.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:30 am
Everyone in my family is highly educated.
The question was never 'are you going to go to university?"....the question was just "will you get a PhD?"...

It wasn't even a consideration to not go to university and have a career.

I enjoyed school and was good at it, so I kept going until I had the qualifications that I wanted and needed for my dream job. For me, that was two bachelors degrees and a Masters degree....And I still managed to graduate and get married by 23, so not too bad!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 10:38 am
Everyone seems so accomplished what do you all do?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
My grandparents were emigrants without much schooling. My parents went to college and my mom held duel Masters degrees. My siblings all have advanced degrees. I have three advanced degrees and I am a SAHM.

College was a given for us and my parents encouraged us and pushed us to get our education. I have my children's college and grad schools funded by the time they were 5. They also will not be given a choice. I am fighting an uphill battle against the school system where I live.
How in the world did you have that funded by that age? What income was coming in? Would love to do something like this...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics