Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What do you do when you don't understand your child?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 7:38 am
It's really for toddlers and preschool, so I just put it in general.

What do you do when no matter how many times your child tells you something, you just can't undersand them?

If they want something, I would tell them to show it to me, but if it's something else, I would answer I that's nice, or whatever it sounds like they might need to not be frustrated that I don't understand them. If it's a question, I would say I don't know or maybe. I don't want to give the wrong answer if they're asking a question Wink . For my older kids, I would tell them to tell one of my other children in spanish and they'll translate. That doesn't always work either Rolling Eyes Confused .

What do you do?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 8:08 am
Repeat back what I think I heard as a question

Ask an older sibling- this usually works better

Always look at the context, try to from the childs perspective

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:19 am
When I can't understand my ds, he gets very upset, especially if I pretend I've understood. He screams at me, "Didn't you understand what I said!"

Instead of pretending, I ask him to help me understand. I ask specific questions: Are you telling me about about a toy? A food? Something in school? Do we have it in our house? Which room is it in? What do we do with it?

He's getting to be very good at offering descriptions on his own, which is a great language skill for a very speech/language delayed kid.

imaima

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 9:28 am
Repeat back till I figure out what they want. Try to describe it. Just stay calm and try to figure it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics