Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Spinoff: do you buy YOURSELF a yom tov gift?

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 11:40 am
for those of you that your husbands don't buy a gift or those of us who only have dxh's - do you buy yourself a yom tov gift ?

I think we deserve to treat ourselves ... last year I bought a new haggada with gift monies ...

this year I think I'll settle for toothbrushes ... [you win some you lose some]

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 11:42 am
greenfire wrote:
for those of you that your husbands don't buy a gift or those of us who only have dxh's - do you buy yourself a yom tov gift ?

I think we deserve to treat ourselves ... last year I bought a new haggada with gift monies ...

this year I think I'll settle for toothbrushes ... [you win some you lose some]

You're so holy! Good for you.
I bought myself some jewelry while looking for shirts for my boys. (Deep Kohl's clearance. I do not feel deprived!)

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 11:47 am
While I shop for the kids new stuff lkuved yom tov I usually treat myself to something new too. Sometimes it's a new outfit, robe or jewelry or any household item. Dh doesn't buy me gifts too often, maybe once every other year after I beg him. For this pesach I got myself a new watch after begging dh the last year or so that he should get me a watch because my old broke.

lfab

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 12:26 pm
If buying new shells counts then yes this year I did LOL Otherwise no. I don't feel the need to get a new outfit, piece of jewelry, household item... every yom tov.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 12:38 pm
If I buy myself something I don't need an occasion. Smile

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 12:43 pm
yo'ma wrote:
If I buy myself something I don't need an occasion. Smile

This times 1000.

ascsam

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 12:57 pm
I was near a mitpacha store with DH last month, so I dragged him in, looked around, handed him 2 items, said "Happy Pesach to me" & let him charge it on his card.

Otherwise, I'd just get what I want.

It's kinda all my money anyways.

pause

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:15 pm
Yes, I do. If we're home for yom tov, I buy something either to enhance the table (flowers, a new napkin holder, etc.) or a new article of clothing, slippers, headgear, etc. in order to treat myself for all the hard work involved.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:26 pm
I treat myself to a little self care (waxing), and some new clothes if I need them. So what if I could do it any time? It feels special to do it l'koved yom tov.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:31 pm
I treat myself for my b'day, or if I've handled a bad situation well, or if I'm celebrating a good thing that happened to me. (though the latter two would more likely be taking us/friends out to dinner.) I do buy myself a birthday gift with $$ I've been given for my b'day.

(and I don't attach this to anything DH does or doesn't do. )

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:32 pm
Nope. No time. No extra money. I only buy necessities, no gifts. But then again one person's necessities are another person's luxuries so I've no complaints.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:40 pm
I buy myself a present every so often, sometimes I buy something and I get lucy and my husband buys something, too, so I get 2 presents

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 1:41 pm
No gifts but I try to do something nice for myself. This year I fixed a necklace that I love that was broken. I might get an extra coffee then budgeted. It's the small things.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:24 pm
I am getting a couple of new books and a new rucksack for work. Then again, I am buying those things because I need them/ always wanted to have them, and not necessarily for Pessach. So my dh might get something for me too.

acemom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 7:19 pm
What some people consider a luxury is for others a necessity. I will treat myself to a mani/pedi after all the hard work I have done for Pesach (and all year)... It's part of my TO DO list, but it's my very own Yom Tov gift to myself Very Happy

boysrus

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:05 am
yes, I splash out on mmishpacha, binah and ami before each major chag! If we have money available, or given any money gifts by parents, then I will treat myself to a new novel for yomtov! as you can tell, reading is my greatest hobby, and when else is there time to read but shabbos ad yomtov!

Vanilla

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:14 am
yes...every year I pack away a little money with my pesach dishes with a little note to myself. I buy myself a bouquet of flowers for the seder table.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 3:45 am
Some of the best gifts are the ones I buy for myself, whenever I want.
I don't want DH to buy me anything ever, unless I chose it.
I BH have everything I need, and want for nothing, I beg all those around me never to buy me anything, because I just usually end up giving it away.
The best gifts in life are free, health, love, nachas, and time to enjoy them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics