Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Stuffing for snood
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:23 pm
I recently bought a few (lined) chenille snoods which I like. The problem is that my hair is very short, and they tend to not hang down in back as I'd like them to, rather to puff out at the sides. I would put some sort of a stuffing in the back, but have no idea what to use that would stay in place and pull it down a little and not be uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:25 pm
another snood ... an undershirt ... a scrap of material

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:27 pm
I'm thinking that bread crumbs could be a problem right now.

Seriously, though, Polyester stuffing for pillows & crafts would work. Stuff it in a nylon knee high.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:30 pm
Do you think a washcloth would work or is that too small? And would it stay in place?

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:31 pm
a washcloth would be too heavy - you don't want it weighing down & falling off

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 3:36 pm
I once heard that if you make it wet and hang it w a grape fruit in the bottom it will stretch. Never tried it so I can't vouch for it

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:36 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I recently bought a few (lined) chenille snoods which I like. The problem is that my hair is very short, and they tend to not hang down in back as I'd like them to, rather to puff out at the sides. I would put some sort of a stuffing in the back, but have no idea what to use that would stay in place and pull it down a little and not be uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

2 suggestions
1) Either stuff it with:
A loofah sponge in the bottom of the tichel. I used them when I cut off 17 inches of hair and didn't want my mother to realize that there was nothing else under the snood (shhh!)

Or
Use a use a sock to weigh it down.

2) Wash it in the sink, and then hang to dry. Stick a clementine orange (the goal is that you should make the snood weighed down without botching the elastic) into the tichel. When it dries, it'll be stretched.

Good luck!

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:42 pm
There are these great volumizers called "bou bou". Pronounced "bo bo". It fits like a tight snood and makes the perfect bump in the back. Its really meant for a tichel but I have friends who put it jnder a snood also. Just know that it has to be worn in a bit to make the bump lower down.

Also keep in mind that new snoods usually need breaking in, they tend to stick up by the sides until you wear it enough. The stuffing might not be necessary.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:54 pm
They loosen up and fall on their own after only a few washes.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:02 am
So far I've been using a sock and it's working, but I may try some other ideas too. Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:02 am
watergirl wrote:
There are these great volumizers called "bou bou". Pronounced "bo bo". It fits like a tight snood and makes the perfect bump in the back. Its really meant for a tichel but I have friends who put it jnder a snood also. Just know that it has to be worn in a bit to make the bump lower down.

Also keep in mind that new snoods usually need breaking in, they tend to stick up by the sides until you wear it enough. The stuffing might not be necessary.

Do you have link to this? I've never heard of it.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:23 pm
After a few days wearing the new snood (with a sock inside) I am finding the elastic to be slightly too tight. If I wet the snood and hang something heavy in it will it stretch the elastic too or just the material?

Any other way to stretch the elastic or would I have to replace it (I must have a big head -- though I do wear it over my ears -- behind my ears it wouldn't be too tight).

mommyhood

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:27 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
After a few days wearing the new snood (with a sock inside) I am finding the elastic to be slightly too tight. If I wet the snood and hang something heavy in it will it stretch the elastic too or just the material?

Any other way to stretch the elastic or would I have to replace it (I must have a big head -- though I do wear it over my ears -- behind my ears it wouldn't be too tight).

Wear it when you have wet hair it will stretch the elastic.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:29 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Wear it when you have wet hair it will stretch the elastic.

Read the 1st post -- I have very short hair -- it wouldn't even touch the elastic in most places.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:30 pm
Is the elastic adjustable at all? Sometimes it's just tied in a knot and you can open and reknot more loosely. Or you can wash and let it dry over something that stretches it out.

imeinu

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:30 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Do you have link to this? I've never heard of it.

http://www.myheadcoverings.com.....2.htm

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:32 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Is the elastic adjustable at all? Sometimes it's just tied in a knot and you can open and reknot more loosely. Or you can wash and let it dry over something that stretches it out.

As it is now its not adjustable. I was told to adjust it by cutting it and knotting it; obviously that is only to make it smaller which is not what I need.

Will washing it and letting it dry with something heavy in it stretch the elastic or only the snood's material?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:35 pm
Probably just the snood. To stretch the elastic you want it to actually be stretched continuously as it dries.

imeinu

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:52 pm
The chenille snoods are made shorter than the older style crochet snoods. Thats just the "look". In addition, the crochet snoods did stretch very much when wet, but I haven't found that to be the case with chenille.
Does anyone have a different experience with chenille?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:55 pm
imeinu wrote:
The chenille snoods are made shorter than the older style crochet snoods. Thats just the "look".

I'm okay with that. It's just that because my hair is so short, the snood tends to stick out to the sides rather than hang down slightly in the back (plus the issue of the elastic which is starting to bother me).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels