Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you have a masters degree or a higher.....spinoff

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:32 pm
What would be the best Masters to get from a professional (and useful/ vocational) standpoint if you were going to Grad school now? Looking for a more "arts" based type, nothing math/ science/ law/education based.
Any good ideas out there for someone who is not great at math/science for a profession that would be quite lucrative but is not law?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:41 pm
English literature?

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 5:53 pm
If I understand your post correctly, I do not know if you are going to find something lucrative now in such fields, unless you are really talented at something.
Curious to hear what others say.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 6:10 pm
Sherri wrote:
If I understand your post correctly, I do not know if you are going to find something lucrative now in such fields, unless you are really talented at something.
Curious to hear what others say.

OP here. I have tons of experience working in an office in different roles, mostly in the non-profit field. Law would probably be my best fit but there is an overabundance of lawyers and I don't think the world needs another 30-something newly qualified lawyer hunting for a position Wink

Most of my work is in non-profit management jobs and I considered getting a degree in that or a MPA (public admin). I am wondering if there is a degree that give you a 'guaranteed' job at the end (as much as something can be guaranteed in life) that would be better than one of the aforementioned masters.. e.g. medicine= Dr.; Law= a lawyer etc.. etc..

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 6:17 pm
MBA graduates tend to command higher salaries, but with several caveats.
Firstly it really has to be from Ivy league or top 12 schools because that's where blue-chip firms recruit from pretty much exclusively. Also best paying jobs are still in finance, which means you need to be willing to work long-hours and high-caliber job. The programme does contain some quantitative stuff, notably statistics and operational analysis.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 6:27 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Firstly it really has to be from Ivy league or top 12 schools because that's where blue-chip firms recruit from pretty much exclusively. Also best paying jobs are still in finance, which means you need to be willing to work long-hours and high-caliber job. The programme does contain some quantitative stuff, notably statistics and operational analysis.

OP here: Thanks, I am not afraid of working long hours. I am very afraid of studying math though, which is why I don't think I ever considered doing a MBA.. My GPA is very high but not from a well-known school so I think that would hinder me in getting into a top school as well.

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 08 2014, 7:41 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
This is what I was thinking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics