Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS doesn't like having his privates cleaned

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:35 am
He fights me in the bath to wash him down there. When he was younger, he had an adhesion and we needed to pull it back a lot to clean, and it was unpleasant for him. He's 3 now and mostly outgrew it, but of course the area still needs to be washed daily. He squirms and kvetches and makes it so hard, and I try to be gentle, but when he squirms away, that makes it harder. He also doesn't play with it, which has me worried that it maybe feels sore or tender or something. What should I do about it?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:37 am
Why don't you teach him how to clean it himself?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:45 am
At 3 he should be more than capable of cleaning himself!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:45 am
That's the plan, but he is language delayed, so still needs a lot of help.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:46 am
Also by 3, I mean he just turned 3 within the last week, so he's not like a kid who's almost 4.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:47 am
If his cognitive and motor skills are fine, it shouldn't be an issue...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:48 am
Cognitive skills are fine, motor skills not so much. He also gets OT. He really is not capable of doing it himself at this time and I don't expect him to be until closer to 4.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:51 am
Oh ok. Sorry Sad

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:00 pm
I've bathed lots of boys and I can't imagine why he'd need to be cleaned so much.

A simple soaking as he sits in the tub and a spray from the bath hose should do the trick.

LD or not, he would probably prefer to do it himself. I give my kids a wash cloth and instruct them (with very little words) on what to do.

Maybe teach him, OP, instead of insist on doing something that upsets him in such a private area. (pun intended)

ETA - I see, he's got motor issues. Still, I stand by the soak and rinse, hands off method.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:17 pm
chani8 wrote:
I've bathed lots of boys and I can't imagine why he'd need to be cleaned so much.

A simple soaking as he sits in the tub and a spray from the bath hose should do the trick.

LD or not, he would probably prefer to do it himself. I give my kids a wash cloth and instruct them (with very little words) on what to do.

Maybe teach him, OP, instead of insist on doing something that upsets him in such a private area. (pun intended)

ETA - I see, he's got motor issues. Still, I stand by the soak and rinse, hands off method.

Thanks, will definitely try those. When I say clean, I don't mean scrubbing, I literally mean a quick swipe or 2 with the washcloth. he is mostly potty trained but still has some accidents, so the area definitely needs attention. Also, the skin where he used to have the adhesion still needs attention because it occasionally starts to creep back. I do let him do a lot independently- he washes his hands with soap after using the bathroom, brushes his teeth etc, but I still need to watch closely and sometimes go over his handiwork because his motor skills are very poor.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 12:24 pm
How dirty is he? My baby who is 2 has been "cleaning himself for months. But really, if you're cleaning up after a diaper there shouldn't really be dirt. I guess I don't get it.

Maybe you're too crazy about him getting clean? I mean he's soaking in bathwater...presumably with some soap once you've washed his hair. Does your son roll in the dirt?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics