Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Y shape mark above his behind. Please respond!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:50 pm
I went with my new born to the dr for his 2 week visit. At the visit the dr sees a y shape above his behind and she told me that he must gor for an ultrasound as it can be spina bifida occulta chas vishalom. I'm a first time mom and I'm going tomorrow for the ultrasound. Did anyone ever hear of this? Please respond!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 9:06 pm
Yes. When my baby was around 6 months the Dr told me to go for an ultrasound because of the same matter. He then also noticed that both feet are not aligned equally when comparing them from lying down on the tummy. That time I switched Dr's and the new Dr said that I shouldn't bother and only if I'll notice any unusual movement like only moving one leg then I need to worry. I'm embarrassed to say that I should really had to go do that ultrasound but because the office that does that is very far I kept pushing that off and that the new dr didn't think of it as an issue to be concerned. Now that my child is almost 2 the Dr says that if it would been a problem I would have figured it out by now.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 9:21 pm
Hi, my son has spina bifida myelomenengocele. Offhand, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Doctors can really be alarmists.

If you see him moving his toes and his legs normally, I wouldn't be concerned. If he seems to pee and poop normally for his age, I still wouldn't be concerned. And worst case, if it is occulta, I'm pretty sure aside from everyone freaking you out, once things calm down, you'll see he's actually normal despite it, and don't worry.

See what the ultrasound says, I'm sure it'll be fine.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:27 pm
It's the kind of thing that many babies get screened for, and most turn out to be fine. Hope it goes well for you Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:51 pm
My DH has this mark. We asked my MIL about it and she said she has no idea what we are talking about. DH wants to believe that it showed up when he was older. (My MIL doesnt always say the truth)

Every dr DH goes to wants to know about it. Some asked if he had surgery on his tail bone, because it looks like a bad job.

If you are wondering, DH was a highly active child. He loved sports and the treadmill was his nightly entertainment as a teenager.

If your DR suggested tested, I would do it for peace of mind, even if you see your baby kicking.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:52 am
Two of my children were screened for it as babies. Bh they were both fine. Ive had friends whose children were screened too. It's a quick ultrasound. Hope yours turns out ok!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 9:22 am
Op here... I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. I just left the hospital and Chasdai Hashem all is good!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:06 am
B'H op!!

my baby is almost 3mnths he has it too, thought it's nothing, my ped saw it @ his 2 wk check she said we will deal with it a diff time,
he kicks both feet,

should I be worried?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
B'H op!!

my baby is almost 3mnths he has it too, thought it's nothing, my ped saw it @ his 2 wk check she said we will deal with it a diff time,
he kicks both feet,

should I be worried?

Did she say it can be spinal bifida occulta?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:57 am
amother with 3mnth old baby,

no she didn't say anything else, but she is x the type to say anything unless she is %100 sure

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:00 am
same amother as above
btw what is spinal bifida 'occulta'?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:58 pm
pls don't leave me hanging here! I'm so curious/nerves,
can it be nothing? Confused

not gonna get to my ped before yom tov...

p.s. I did notice that the left side is much a longer 'crease' then the right

chanee

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
same amother as above
btw what is spinal bifida 'occulta'?

occulta is the smallest form of spinal bifida. Hatzlucha

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
pls don't leave me hanging here! I'm so curious/nerves,
can it be nothing? Confused

not gonna get to my ped before yom tov...

p.s. I did notice that the left side is much a longer 'crease' then the right

Op here...My baby also had it like that. If he is moving his legs and peeing and pooping properly then there should be no worries.
Good luck

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:
Op here...My baby also had it like that. If he is moving his legs and peeing and pooping properly then there should be no worries.
Good luck

thnks, b'h he is doing all that, Very Happy

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:53 pm
Occulata means hidden meaning they cannot see the spina bifida on the images but based on the symptoms are sure of the diagnoses. You are lucky to have the doctor pick up on it at a young age and for sure go for any test they recommend. My son also had the dimple noticed a few days after birth and based on the ultrasound and MRI we did he had surgery within a few months to correct what they found.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
thnks, b'h he is doing all that, Very Happy

Then there is no reason to worry.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 2:18 am
My child had none of those "marks" and ended up having a tethered spinal cord. We werent diagnosed until she was five because she was incontinent. The neurologists were shocked that she had it without the signs on her back...honestly, if one doctor would of told us to get an MRI, I could have had her surgery to correct it before she could remember it. I regret not getting that MRI sooner. She ended up having spinal cord surgery at 5 1/2 and still remembers it.

A tethered spinal cord is something that all children with spina bifida have but not all children with a tethered cord have spina bifida.

Basically, what I am saying is, if there is a mark on his/her back...get the MRI...my child, walked, peed and did everything else normally...just was incontinent and doctors thought that it was just active withholding . Ultimately there were other "soft" markers that were noticed by the neurosurgeon.

Any marks on the low part of the back could be something other than spina bifida outright. I am not trying to scare you and honestly, it could totally wait until after the chag...but I have learned not to mess around with soft markers....

carmelita

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
My child had none of those "marks" and ended up having a tethered spinal cord. We werent diagnosed until she was five because she was incontinent. The neurologists were shocked that she had it without the signs on her back...honestly, if one doctor would of told us to get an MRI, I could have had her surgery to correct it before she could remember it. I regret not getting that MRI sooner. She ended up having spinal cord surgery at 5 1/2 and still remembers it.

A tethered spinal cord is something that all children with spina bifida have but not all children with a tethered cord have spina bifida.

Basically, what I am saying is, if there is a mark on his/her back...get the MRI...my child, walked, peed and did everything else normally...just was incontinent and doctors thought that it was just active withholding . Ultimately there were other "soft" markers that were noticed by the neurosurgeon.

Any marks on the low part of the back could be something other than spina bifida outright. I am not trying to scare you and honestly, it could totally wait until after the chag...but I have learned not to mess around with soft markers....

This amother - can you PM me if you are willing to talk? My son also has tethered cord and I never had another person to talk to with a child in the same situation. If you're willing I'd love to hear more about how you helped your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics