Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
First-time make-up buyer needs help

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:13 pm
I'm not actually buying make up for the first time but I've only done it a few times and never know what I'm doing. I have a gift card to an expensive store and I figured I'd get myself a whole new set of make up. Normally I wear foundation/cover up, lipstick and blush/bronzer. I need tips to make sure I don't spend a ton of money just to come home and realize the foundation/cover up is too dark or something. Please help me. TIA

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 10:19 pm
I dont know where you are located . If you are in Boro Park, Chana R Fein is the best. She has a salon on 16th ave , her advice is excellent and she'll give you samples to get you started

Or you can email her at marcoprivee@gmail.com

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:35 am
OP here. I'm going to a specific store for which I have a gift card. I know they have many different make up counters. I need to know how I can tell if the make up lady is just selling to me or if its good. these things are expensive. TIA

Happy18

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:50 am
Take someone with you who knows makeup. After you test a foundation go outside and look at the color in natural light. The lights by most makeup counters are awful.

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:53 am
Bring a hand mirror, and go into the store. Ask the salesperson to help you. When she is done, ask her to put the stuff she used on hold. Then walk outside and look at yourself in the mirror. Next, go into a second store, and check out how you look in that mirror. If there is something you don't like, take note of what it is. Browse for 1-2 hours and then check your reflection again to see how the makeup oxidized. If they were willing to hold the makeup for 24 hours, go home, do whatever needs doing, and see how the makeup holds up, and return to purchase the next day. If they were only able to hold for an hour, go back and buy the things that you liked about your makeup, and give the sales person feedback (I feel like my cheeks are to pink, I love the color of this lipstick, my undereye circles look gone, I don't like that the eyeliner didn't hold up -- what longer wear brand can you suggest).

Yes, this involves to trips to the store, but better that you had to go back an hour later than that you spent $100 and hate it.

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:53 am
I use different brands for different products, after having tried and tested many different ones. Perhaps if we know which store this card is for, and which brands they offer, we can be more specific.

Also, if it's a department store, or probably even a Sephora-type store, you can return and/or exchange items that you are not happy with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics